    If we say "forty, sixty, seventy, eighty and ninety", why don't we say
    "twoty, threety and fivety"?

  2. Re: Cool wallpapers for Linux

    On 2008-08-25, PanHandler wrote:

    > alt.graphics.pictures.wallpaper
    >
    > If we say "forty, sixty, seventy, eighty and ninety", why don't we say
    > "twoty, threety and fivety"?

    Twenty and thirty are still remotely connected to 2 and 3.

    It's worst of all in France, as far as I know.
    They only have that 'connection' for 30-60.

    The rest is a mess.
    70 is soixante-dix (sixty-ten), and they go on to 79 being soixante-dix-neuf
    (sixty nineteen, or sixty-ten-nine).

    80 is quatre-vingt (four twenty)
    90 is 80 with the 10 added, likr in 70.

    So 99 is:
    four twenty nineteen, or actually four twenty ten nine

    In Belgian French at least, 90 is nonante (conection to nine)
    In Swiss French, 80 is octante (connection to 8)

    --
    Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is

  3. Re: Cool wallpapers for Linux

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > In Belgian French at least, 90 is nonante (conection to nine)
    > In Swiss French, 80 is octante (connection to 8)

    And in both Belgium and Switserland it is also septante for 70

    The French is a bith when working with IP numbers.
    cent quatre vingt deux
    Is that 100.4.20.2 or 192?

    Also because the Dutch say twee-en-veertig (two and fourty) and English
    says fourty-two for 42, I have learned to say things number by number.
    So a phonenumber become
    0.2.1.2.3.4.5.6.7 When people repeat it, they still go for 02.123.45.67
    in Belgium.

    And when they say 02.123.45.67 and I repeat 0.2.1.2.3.4.5.6.7 many have
    no way of knowing wether that is correct, unles they have the number in
    front of them.

    Humans are basicaly idiots (except me). :-D

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.

  4. Re: Cool wallpapers for Linux

    Le Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:31:09 +0200, houghi a
    crit:

    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >> In Belgian French at least, 90 is nonante (conection to nine)
    >> In Swiss French, 80 is octante (connection to 8)

    > And in both Belgium and Switserland it is also septante for 70
    >
    > The French is a bith when working with IP numbers.
    > cent quatre vingt deux
    > Is that 100.4.20.2 or 192?
    >
    > Also because the Dutch say twee-en-veertig (two and fourty) and English
    > says fourty-two for 42, I have learned to say things number by number.
    > So a phonenumber become
    > 0.2.1.2.3.4.5.6.7 When people repeat it, they still go for 02.123.45.67
    > in Belgium.
    >
    > And when they say 02.123.45.67 and I repeat 0.2.1.2.3.4.5.6.7 many have
    > no way of knowing wether that is correct, unles they have the number in
    > front of them.
    >
    > Humans are basicaly idiots (except me). :-D
    >
    > houghi

    Sorry Houghi

    cent quatre vingt deux should be 182 !!!

    Could also be understood as 100 4 22.

    --
    JB

  5. Re: Cool wallpapers for Linux

    news.motzarella.org wrote:
    > cent quatre vingt deux should be 182 !!!
    >
    > Could also be understood as 100 4 22.

    Brainfart. 190 = 100.4.20.10

    There are several more numbers in that range that do the same. I somehow
    wanted to convert it to 192, so that it could be seen as part of 192.168
    And in the old days most belgian IPs where in the range of 19*.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

  6. Re: Cool wallpapers for Linux

    On 2008-08-26, houghi wrote:

    >> In Belgian French at least, 90 is nonante (conection to nine)
    >> In Swiss French, 80 is octante (connection to 8)

    > And in both Belgium and Switserland it is also septante for 70
    >
    > The French is a bith when working with IP numbers.
    > cent quatre vingt deux
    > Is that 100.4.20.2 or 192?
    >
    > Also because the Dutch say twee-en-veertig (two and fourty) and English
    > says fourty-two for 42, I have learned to say things number by number.

    That's the one I'd make an efford adapting to: putting the tens and units in
    the rights place, for Dutch and German. Not twee-en-veertig, but
    veertig-twee.

    --
    Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is
    adequately explained by stupidity.

  7. Re: Cool wallpapers for Linux

    В Вторник 26 августа 2008 11:26, houghi писал:
    > There are several more numbers in that range that do the same. I somehow
    > wanted to convert it to 192, so that it could be seen as part of 192.168
    > And in the old days most belgian IPs where in the range of 19*.

    Then you probably meant "cent quatre-vingt douze" (100 + 4 * 20 + 12) ;-)
    By the way, 192 could be easily understood as 100.80.12 or 100.4.20.12 or
    180.12 or 104.20.12 etc... :-)

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  8. Re: Cool wallpapers for Linux

    Mateusz Viste wrote:
    > В Вторник 26 августа 2008 11:26, houghi писал:
    >> There are several more numbers in that range that do the same. I somehow
    >> wanted to convert it to 192, so that it could be seen as part of 192.168
    >> And in the old days most belgian IPs where in the range of 19*.

    > Then you probably meant "cent quatre-vingt douze" (100 + 4 * 20 + 12) ;-)
    > By the way, 192 could be easily understood as 100.80.12 or 100.4.20.12 or
    > 180.12 or 104.20.12 etc... :-)

    Indeed. That is why I always repeated it number by number. I still do
    the same with numbers in other languages.

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

+ Reply to Thread