openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio - Suse ; I have no sound. I was running at 10.3 with sound just fine. Since upgrading to 11.0 I've had troubles with my sound, i.e. I have none. My pc has a Redeon X1200 audio controller and I'm using Alsa and ...

  1. openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    I have no sound.

    I was running at 10.3 with sound just fine. Since upgrading to 11.0 I've
    had troubles with my sound, i.e. I have none.

    My pc has a Redeon X1200 audio controller and I'm using Alsa and
    pulsaudio as is standard with 11.

    Strange thing is, if I go in to Yast->Hardware->Sound and then in to
    Other->Volume all I get on the display is the PCM not the controls for
    any other audio channels.

    Any ideas why I can't see my other channels?

    Thanks

    Glenn

  2. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:39:48 +0100, Glenn Robinson typed this message:

    > I have no sound.
    >
    > I was running at 10.3 with sound just fine. Since upgrading to 11.0 I've
    > had troubles with my sound, i.e. I have none.
    >
    > My pc has a Redeon X1200 audio controller and I'm using Alsa and
    > pulsaudio as is standard with 11.
    >
    > Strange thing is, if I go in to Yast->Hardware->Sound and then in to
    > Other->Volume all I get on the display is the PCM not the controls for
    > any other audio channels.
    >
    > Any ideas why I can't see my other channels?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Glenn

    Try deleting your old sound configurations, .asoundrc, .esd_auth.

  3. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:39:48 +0100, Glenn Robinson wrote:

    > I have no sound.
    >
    > Strange thing is, if I go in to Yast->Hardware->Sound and then in to
    > Other->Volume all I get on the display is the PCM not the controls for
    > any other audio channels.
    >
    > Any ideas why I can't see my other channels?

    Fire up gnome-volume-control in a terminal and then go to Edit |
    Preferences. Select the channels you wish to see.

    Chances are, one or more of them has been muted.

    Cheers,
    --
    Rob
    To reply, remove zudo

  4. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    The Doctor wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:39:48 +0100, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> I have no sound.
    >>
    >> Strange thing is, if I go in to Yast->Hardware->Sound and then in to
    >> Other->Volume all I get on the display is the PCM not the controls for
    >> any other audio channels.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why I can't see my other channels?

    > Fire up gnome-volume-control in a terminal and then go to Edit |
    > Preferences. Select the channels you wish to see.
    >
    > Chances are, one or more of them has been muted.
    >
    > Cheers,

    The only channel I get in there is Digital-1.

    Glenn

  5. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:00:58 +0100, Glenn Robinson wrote:

    >> Fire up gnome-volume-control in a terminal and then go to Edit |
    >> Preferences. Select the channels you wish to see.
    >>
    >> Chances are, one or more of them has been muted.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > The only channel I get in there is Digital-1.

    That is not good.

    Using the same app, have you tried selecting File | Change Device and
    seeing if any others are listed?

    The only other thing I can suggest is using Yast and re-detecting your
    sound card to see if that works.

    I've been having intermittent problems with sound on 11.0 and it
    certainly doesn't seem as stable as 10.3.

    Hopefully things will be better in 11.1...

    Cheers,
    --
    Rob
    To reply, remove zudo

  6. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    Le Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:17:27 +0000, The Doctor a √©crit¬*:

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:00:58 +0100, Glenn Robinson wrote:
    >
    >>> Fire up gnome-volume-control in a terminal and then go to Edit |
    >>> Preferences. Select the channels you wish to see.
    >>>
    >>> Chances are, one or more of them has been muted.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> The only channel I get in there is Digital-1.

    > That is not good.
    >
    > Using the same app, have you tried selecting File | Change Device and
    > seeing if any others are listed?
    >
    > The only other thing I can suggest is using Yast and re-detecting your
    > sound card to see if that works.
    >
    > I've been having intermittent problems with sound on 11.0 and it
    > certainly doesn't seem as stable as 10.3.
    >
    > Hopefully things will be better in 11.1...
    >
    > Cheers,

    The problem is probably pulse audio. Try uninstalling that trojan.

    --
    Barack Obama for President http://www.barackobama.com/
    http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal

  7. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:08:26 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:
    > The problem is probably pulse audio. Try uninstalling that trojan.

    Alternatively read the page at

    to learn how to correctly setup pulse audio, should you need a sound
    server.

  8. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:08:26 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:

    > The problem is probably pulse audio. Try uninstalling that trojan.

    Am I right in thinking that I can simply (safely!) uninstall it using
    either Smart or Yast?

    If so I'll get rid of it a.s.a.p. as I have no use for a sound server.

    Cheers,
    --
    Rob
    To reply, remove zudo

  9. Re: openSUSE 11 and sound using pulseaudio

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:54:53 +0000, The Doctor typed this message:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:08:26 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:
    >
    >> The problem is probably pulse audio. Try uninstalling that trojan.

    > Am I right in thinking that I can simply (safely!) uninstall it using
    > either Smart or Yast?
    >
    > If so I'll get rid of it a.s.a.p. as I have no use for a sound server.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I don't think so. I think a lot of processes are linked into the
    PulseAudio sound server, you'll end up removing a bunch of programs.

    I use zypper for 95% of my package management:

    $ sudo zypper --verbose erase --dry-run pulseaudio

+ Reply to Thread