Delete MBR ? - Suse

This is a discussion on Delete MBR ? - Suse ; I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know if this is possible as the computer will not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Delete MBR ?

    I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will, of
    course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that other OS
    but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD. So
    I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate retail version of W2K.
    Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember with Windows98. There you
    copied certain files to the floppy and booted from that. Then you could
    just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to that) and it would delete the
    contents of the master boot record. I don't see that on W2K. How do I do
    this with Linux or how do I do this with W2000 ?

    P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in that
    other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB so he can
    also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Michael Soibelman writes:

    >I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    >I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    >if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will, of
    >course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that other OS
    >but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    >computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD. So

    That is an idiotic suggestion. By the time it has gotten to trying to boot
    from the mbr, it has stopped trying to boot from the CD. Ie, if that CD is
    unbootable, then that CD is unbootable,

    >I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate retail version of W2K.

    You are trying to delete the MBR why?

    >Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember with Windows98. There you
    >copied certain files to the floppy and booted from that. Then you could
    >just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to that) and it would delete the
    >contents of the master boot record. I don't see that on W2K. How do I do
    >this with Linux or how do I do this with W2000 ?

    >P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    >AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in that
    >other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB so he can
    >also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...

    Danger-- recovery disks have a tendency to erase everything on the disk,
    and simply write over a disk image. Ie, MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A BACKUP.

  3. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Unruh wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman writes:
    >
    >>I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    >>I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    >>if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will,
    >>of course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that
    >>other OS
    >>but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    >>computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD.
    >>So

    > That is an idiotic suggestion. By the time it has gotten to trying to boot
    > from the mbr, it has stopped trying to boot from the CD. Ie, if that CD is
    > unbootable, then that CD is unbootable,

    -------------------------------snip------------------------------------

    That's EXACTLY what I thought too !! It's not bootable. It is just a
    recovery disk... So it seems to be un-bootable then. So someone's going
    to have to fork over ~$90.00 to buy a retail version of XP (newegg price).

    Thanks for confirming that.

  4. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    > I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    > if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will, of
    > course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that other OS
    > but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    > computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD. So
    > I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate retail version of W2K.
    > Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember with Windows98. There you
    > copied certain files to the floppy and booted from that. Then you could
    > just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to that) and it would delete the
    > contents of the master boot record. I don't see that on W2K. How do I do
    > this with Linux or how do I do this with W2000 ?
    >
    > P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    > AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in that
    > other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB so he can
    > also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...
    >

    > Thanks.

    Just install W2K and it will fix the MBR and you can install Autocad.
    THEN you can reinstall OpenSuSE and it will install grub to boot W2K or
    OpenSuSE. It don't matter if you use NTFS or FAT21 with W2K. W2K will
    only see 132gig until you install service pack 4 which is free, then
    change the big disk thing in registry.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  5. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Michael Soibelman writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Michael Soibelman writes:
    >>
    >>>I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    >>>I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    >>>if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will,
    >>>of course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that
    >>>other OS
    >>>but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    >>>computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD.
    >>>So

    >> That is an idiotic suggestion. By the time it has gotten to trying to boot
    >> from the mbr, it has stopped trying to boot from the CD. Ie, if that CD is
    >> unbootable, then that CD is unbootable,
    >>

    >-------------------------------snip------------------------------------

    >That's EXACTLY what I thought too !! It's not bootable. It is just a
    >recovery disk... So it seems to be un-bootable then. So someone's going
    >to have to fork over ~$90.00 to buy a retail version of XP (newegg price).

    >Thanks for confirming that.

    A recovery disk SHOULD be bootable. If not it would seem to be a defective
    disk-- get a new one from the people who sold you the computer.

    You have booted from CD you said on that machine, so that the bios is
    properly set up to boot from CD first and then from th ehard disk
    (obviously if it is set to boot from the hard disk first it will succeed at
    that and never boot from CD). It may be that that was what that suggestion
    was all about-- if your hard drive cannot be boot from then your bios might
    be set to boot from CD. Just change the order in your bios.
    On the other hand you said that you can boot from the SUSE CD which, if
    true, would put paid to the idea that you do not have the right order.

  6. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    > AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in that
    > other OS

    AutoCAD should run on Linux.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ux&btnG=Search

  7. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    >> AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in
    >> that other OS

    > AutoCAD should run on Linux.
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ux&btnG=Search

    I misspoke. Should have said SolidWorks2008

  8. Re: Delete MBR ?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:27:21 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box
    > and I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't
    > know if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It
    > will, of course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of
    > that other OS but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the
    > owner of this computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot
    > from the CD. So I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate
    > retail version of W2K. Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember
    > with Windows98. There you copied certain files to the floppy and booted
    > from that. Then you could just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to
    > that) and it would delete the contents of the master boot record. I
    > don't see that on W2K. How do I do this with Linux or how do I do this
    > with W2000 ?
    >
    > P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    > AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in
    > that other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB
    > so he can also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...
    >

    > Thanks.

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

  9. Re: Delete MBR ?

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, ray wrote:-

    >On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:27:21 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >> P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    >> AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in
    >> that other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB
    >> so he can also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...

    >dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

    That will wipe out the partition table along with the boot loader and so
    necessitate a re-install of openSUSE, which isn't wanted from reading
    the what Michael wrote. Using:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=432 count=1

    will wipe out any boot loader but retain the partition table, and so
    should only require a re-install of grub to get openSUSE booting again.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32b | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  10. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Blattus Slafaly writes:

    >Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    >> I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    >> if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will, of
    >> course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that other OS
    >> but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    >> computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD. So
    >> I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate retail version of W2K.
    >> Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember with Windows98. There you
    >> copied certain files to the floppy and booted from that. Then you could
    >> just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to that) and it would delete the
    >> contents of the master boot record. I don't see that on W2K. How do I do
    >> this with Linux or how do I do this with W2000 ?
    >>
    >> P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    >> AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in that
    >> other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB so he can
    >> also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...
    >>

    >> Thanks.

    >Just install W2K and it will fix the MBR and you can install Autocad.

    He cannot install W2K because the system will not boot from the rescue
    disk.

    >THEN you can reinstall OpenSuSE and it will install grub to boot W2K or
    >OpenSuSE. It don't matter if you use NTFS or FAT21 with W2K. W2K will
    >only see 132gig until you install service pack 4 which is free, then
    >change the big disk thing in registry.

    >--
    >Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  11. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    > I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    > if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will, of
    > course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that other OS
    > but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    > computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD. So
    > I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate retail version of W2K.
    > Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember with Windows98. There you
    > copied certain files to the floppy and booted from that. Then you could
    > just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to that) and it would delete the
    > contents of the master boot record. I don't see that on W2K. How do I do
    > this with Linux or how do I do this with W2000 ?
    >
    > P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    > AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in that
    > other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB so he can
    > also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...
    >

    > Thanks.

    On some recovery programs you first need to boot to floppy made
    with that program then access the cd/dvd to recover.

    What recovery program are you using?

    Dan Dangerous

  12. Re: Delete MBR ?

    On 2008-08-13 23:23, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Unruh wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Soibelman writes:
    >>
    >>> I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    >>> I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    >>> if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will,
    >>> of course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that
    >>> other OS
    >>> but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    >>> computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD.
    >>> So

    >> That is an idiotic suggestion. By the time it has gotten to trying to boot
    >> from the mbr, it has stopped trying to boot from the CD. Ie, if that CD is
    >> unbootable, then that CD is unbootable,
    >>

    > -------------------------------snip------------------------------------
    >
    > That's EXACTLY what I thought too !! It's not bootable. It is just a
    > recovery disk... So it seems to be un-bootable then. So someone's going
    > to have to fork over ~$90.00 to buy a retail version of XP (newegg price).
    >
    > Thanks for confirming that.

    Do you think windows XP is the ultimate tool for fixing problems :-D

    In fact, even the most pro Microsoft guys often have a linux rescue
    cd or usb-stick in their toolbox to fix problems like this.

    If the machine refuse to boot from CD when a bootable hard disk exist,
    how are you going to boot the XP cd?

    If you make a boot floppy from XP, you are not allowed to share it,
    the license forbid it.

    If you can boot from the opensuse CD, just select rescue , and do what you like.
    Or make a boot floppy with the command dosbootdisk from another suse box,
    and that is free-DOS, which you can make unlimited copies of and give away.

    If not installed, mark next line and drop it drop into a text terminal:
    sudo /sbin/yast -i dosbootdisk
    eg. 3 fast leftclick on the line, move the mouse to a text terminal and click
    the middle mouse button and press enter.

    You are just fishing after problems, trying to find something you can't do
    instead of learning millions of things you can do.

    If you will avoid boot from disk, just toggle the active flag of the partition
    with fdisk.

    Why not echo broken disk > /dev/sda , and then try to boot from it :-)

    /bb

  13. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Unruh wrote:
    > Blattus Slafaly writes:
    >
    >> Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>> I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    >>> I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    >>> if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will, of
    >>> course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that other OS
    >>> but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    >>> computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD. So
    >>> I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate retail version of W2K.
    >>> Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember with Windows98. There you
    >>> copied certain files to the floppy and booted from that. Then you could
    >>> just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to that) and it would delete the
    >>> contents of the master boot record. I don't see that on W2K. How do I do
    >>> this with Linux or how do I do this with W2000 ?
    >>>
    >>> P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    >>> AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in that
    >>> other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB so he can
    >>> also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...
    >>>

    >>> Thanks.

    >> Just install W2K and it will fix the MBR and you can install Autocad.

    > He cannot install W2K because the system will not boot from the rescue
    > disk.
    >

    >> THEN you can reinstall OpenSuSE and it will install grub to boot W2K or
    >> OpenSuSE. It don't matter if you use NTFS or FAT21 with W2K. W2K will
    >> only see 132gig until you install service pack 4 which is free, then
    >> change the big disk thing in registry.

    >> --
    >> Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

    A legitimate retail version of W2K will boot. That's what he said he had.
    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  14. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > I want to delete the MBR of a disk. I am working on someone elses box and
    > I'm trying to install that other OS from a 'recovery' disk. I don't know
    > if this is possible as the computer will not boot from the CD. It will,
    > of course, boot from a openSUSE disk or even a retail version of that
    > other OS
    > but NOT from the recovery disk.. Someone has told the owner of this
    > computer to delete the MBR and the computer will then boot from the CD.
    > So
    > I'm trying to delete the MBR. I've got a legitimate retail version of
    > W2K.
    > Unfortunately this is not the same as I remember with Windows98. There
    > you
    > copied certain files to the floppy and booted from that. Then you could
    > just type FDISK :\MBR (or something close to that) and it would delete the
    > contents of the master boot record. I don't see that on W2K. How do I do
    > this with Linux or how do I do this with W2000 ?
    >
    > P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can install
    > AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs to use in
    > that
    > other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will reinstall GRUB so he
    > can
    > also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real OS...
    >

    > Thanks.

    There is another option. You could install VirtualBox on the Linux system
    and then install Windows as a virtual machine. Then install your CAD
    package in the windows environment. This is what I did for TurboTax. Its
    the only Windows application I could not find a replacement for. Also there
    are free CAD packages available for Linux. I tried qcad which is on the
    openSUSE DVD or repo. use the YaSt software manager and seach on CAD.
    --
    Russ
    Linux register user 441463

  15. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Blattus Slafaly writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> Blattus Slafaly writes:

    >>> Just install W2K and it will fix the MBR and you can install Autocad.

    >> He cannot install W2K because the system will not boot from the rescue
    >> disk.
    >>

    >>> THEN you can reinstall OpenSuSE and it will install grub to boot W2K or
    >>> OpenSuSE. It don't matter if you use NTFS or FAT21 with W2K. W2K will
    >>> only see 132gig until you install service pack 4 which is free, then
    >>> change the big disk thing in registry.

    >>> --

    >A legitimate retail version of W2K will boot. That's what he said he had.

    No. He said he has a Windows recovery disk. See the second line of his
    post. See the third line of his post.

  16. Re: Delete MBR ?

    bb wrote:

    > If you will avoid boot from disk, just toggle the active flag of the
    > partition with fdisk.
    >
    > Why not echo broken disk > /dev/sda , and then try to boot from it :-)
    >
    > /bb

    -------------------------snip--------------------------------------

    Well, to everybody..thanks. I solved the problem. No the disk was not
    bootable...period. But I could start the disk in a running Windows OS and
    install from there... It wouldn't upgrade from 2000Professional but did
    allow for a new install.

    Thanks to David Bolt for the proper way to delete the MBR without losing all
    the partitioning...

    All is well.

  17. Re: Delete MBR ?

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:58:58 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, ray wrote:-
    >
    >>On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:27:21 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >>> P.S. When I complete the install of the other unnamed OS I can
    >>> install AutoCad for this person. Which is the ONLY program he needs
    >>> to use in that other OS (rhymes with 'I gotta pee'). Then I will
    >>> reinstall GRUB so he can also use openSUSE-11.0 !! Now that's a real
    >>> OS...

    >>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

    > That will wipe out the partition table along with the boot loader and so
    > necessitate a re-install of openSUSE, which isn't wanted from reading
    > the what Michael wrote. Using:
    >
    > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=432 count=1
    >
    > will wipe out any boot loader but retain the partition table, and so
    > should only require a re-install of grub to get openSUSE booting again.
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    You are right - I stand corrected.

  18. Re: Delete MBR ?

    >>In fact, even the most pro Microsoft guys often have a linux rescue
    >>cd or usb-stick in their toolbox to fix problems like this.

    What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ?

    thanks in advance,

    T0M

  19. Re: Delete MBR ?

    T0M wrote:
    >>> In fact, even the most pro Microsoft guys often have a linux rescue
    >>> cd or usb-stick in their toolbox to fix problems like this.
    >>>

    > What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ?
    >
    > thanks in advance,

    From personal experience, the Knoppix and Gentoo live DVDs always had a
    good set of tools on them.

  20. Re: Delete MBR ?

    On 2008-08-26 12:39, T0M wrote:
    >>> In fact, even the most pro Microsoft guys often have a linux rescue
    >>> cd or usb-stick in their toolbox to fix problems like this.
    >>>

    > What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ?
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    >
    > T0M

    I don't know what is best, but I use http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page as
    one of my favorite tool.

    Packages in the CD:

    speakup-utils-1.0 leafpad-0.8.12 hcfpcimodem-1.15
    hddtemp-0.3_beta15-r3 nano-2.1.1 hsfmodem-7.68.00.09
    hwreport-0.9.4 qemacs-0.3.2_pre2007022 linux-atm-2.5.0
    ide-smart-1.4 vim-7.1.266 lrzsz-0.12.20-r1
    mbr-1.1.10 vim-core-7.1.266 mingetty-1.08
    passook-1.0.0 zile-2.2.59 minicom-2.3-r1
    pwgen-2.06 chkrootkit-0.47 ppp-2.4.4-r15
    python-updater-0.2 cmospwd-4.6 pppconfig-2.3.17-r1
    syslog-ng-2.0.9 foremost-1.5.3 pptpclient-1.7.1-r1
    sysstat-8.0.4-r1 magicrescue-1.1.4-r1 rp-pppoe-3.8-r2
    testdisk-6.9 sleuthkit-2.09 speedtouch-usb-3.0.1.2-
    clamav-0.93.1 beep-1.2.2-r1 bind-tools-9.4.1_p1
    afio-2.5 ca-certificates-2007030 libidn-1.5-r1
    arj-3.10.22-r1 ckermit-8.0.211-r2 iptables-1.3.8-r3
    bzip2-1.0.5 colordiff-1.0.7 mount-cifs-3.0.30
    cabextract-1.2 livecd-tools-1.0.39 nfs-utils-1.1.0-r1
    cpio-2.9-r1 mc-4.6.1-r4 samba-3.0.28a-r1
    dump-0.4.41 pax-utils-0.1.17 ftp-0.17-r7
    gzip-1.3.12-r1 screen-4.0.3 lftp-3.7.1
    lzma-utils-4.32.6 symlinks-1.2-r2 ncftp-3.2.1
    lzop-1.02_rc1-r1 vlock-1.3-r2 tftp-hpa-0.48
    mscompress-0.3 wipe-2.2.20050509 irssi-0.8.12
    mt-st-0.9b bash-3.2_p33 mailbase-1
    ncompress-4.2.4.2 ksh-93.20071105 autossh-1.2g
    p7zip-4.57 tcsh-6.15-r2 br2684ctl-20040226
    par2cmdline-0.4-r2 zsh-4.3.4-r1 bridge-utils-1.2
    pbzip2-1.0.2 dos2unix-3.1-r2 curl-7.17.1
    rar-3.7.1 epdfview-0.1.6-r1 dhcp-3.1.0
    rzip-2.1 poppler-0.6.3 dhcpcd-3.2.3
    sharutils-4.6.3 poppler-bindings-0.6.3 ifenslave-1.1.0-r3
    tar-1.20 unix2dos-2.2-r1 iputils-20071127
    unace-1.2b-r1 gentoo-syntax-20070506 netkit-rsh-0.17-r8
    unrar-3.7.8 perl-5.8.8-r5 ntp-4.2.4_p4
    unzip-5.52-r2 python-2.4.4-r9 openssh-4.7_p1-r6
    zip-2.32-r1 pexpect-2.1 openswan-2.4.11
    dar-2.3.7-r1 py-gnupg-0.3.2 openvpn-2.1_rc7-r2
    duplicity-0.4.7 pylibacl-0.2.1 rdate-1.4-r3
    rdiff-backup-1.0.5 pyparted-1.8.9 rdesktop-1.6.0
    rsnapshot-1.2.9 pyxattr-0.2 rsync-3.0.2
    tob-0.26-r1 libglade-2.6.2 telnet-bsd-1.2-r1
    bonnie++-1.93c ssmtp-2.61-r2 tightvnc-1.3.9-r1
    cpuburn-1.4 arping-2.05 udpcast-20070602
    stress-0.18.6 dnstracer-1.8 vconfig-1.9
    cdrkit-1.1.8 httping-1.2.4 vpnc-0.5.1-r1
    cdw-0.2.4 ifstat-1.1 wget-1.11.1
    dvd+rw-tools-7.1 iftop-0.17 whois-4.7.24
    chntpw-0.99.4.20070923 iptraf-3.0.0-r4 wput-0.6.1
    gnupg-2.0.9 netcat-110-r8 acx-firmware-20060207
    hashalot-0.3-r2 netselect-0.3-r2 atmel-firmware-1.3
    md5deep-2.0.1-r1 ngrep-1.45 b43-fwcutter-011
    opencdk-0.6.6 nmap-4.60 bcm43xx-fwcutter-006
    pinentry-0.7.5 tcpdump-3.9.8 ipw2100-firmware-1.3
    truecrypt-4.3a tcptraceroute-1.5_beta7 ipw2200-firmware-3.0
    gvim-7.1.266 traceroute-2.0.9-r1 iwl3945-ucode-2.14.1.5
    hexedit-1.2.12 globespan-adsl-0.12 iwl4965-ucode-4.44.1.20
    joe-3.5 gtkterm-0.99.5-r1 madwifi-ng-tools-0.9.4

    ndiswrapper-1.53 shadow-4.0.18.2 unionfs-utils-0.2
    prism54-firmware-1.0.4. slocate-3.1-r1 xfsdump-2.2.46
    wireless-tools-29 smartmontools-5.38 xfsprogs-2.9.8
    wpa_supplicant-0.5.7 sysresccd-scripts-1.0.4 powermgmt-base-1.22
    zd1201-firmware-0.14 sysvinit-2.86-r10 cronbase-0.3.2-r1
    zd1211-firmware-1.4 tcp-wrappers-7.6-r8 htop-0.7
    acl-2.2.45 usbutils-0.73 lsof-4.78-r1
    apmd-3.2.2_p5 util-linux-2.13.1.1 procps-3.2.7
    attr-2.4.39 which-2.19 psmisc-22.6
    baselayout-1.12.11.1 x86info-1.21 vixie-cron-4.1-r10
    cciss_vol_status-1.03 xinetd-2.3.14 dillo-0.8.6
    coreutils-6.10-r2 pambase-20080318 elinks-0.11.3
    dcfldd-1.3.4.1 gpart-0.1h-r1 lynx-2.8.6-r2
    debianutils-2.28.5 gparted-0.3.7-r1 mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1
    diffutils-2.8.7-r2 lsiutil-1.52 mozilla-launcher-1.58
    dmapi-2.2.8 mbuffer-20070911 thttpd-2.25b-r7
    dmidecode-2.9 mpt-status-1.2.0 xorg-server-1.4.0.90-r3
    dstat-0.6.6 mtx-1.2.18 ati-drivers-8.501
    dumpdisklayout-0.1.1 nbd-2.9.8 nvidia-drivers-173.14.0
    ed-0.9 partimage-0.6.7 xf86-input-evdev-1.1.5-
    eject-2.1.5-r1 partimage-ssl-0.6.7 xf86-input-keyboard-1.3
    ethtool-6 grub-0.97-r4 xf86-input-mouse-1.2.3
    fbset-2.1 lilo-22.8-r2 xf86-video-ark-0.6.0
    file-4.23 ms-sys-2.1.2 xf86-video-ati-6.6.3
    findutils-4.3.13 syslinux-3.31 xf86-video-chips-1.1.1
    fxload-20020411 btrfs-0.15-r2 xf86-video-cirrus-1.1.0
    gawk-3.1.5-r5 btrfs-progs-0.15-r2 xf86-video-cyrix-1.1.0
    grep-2.5.1a-r1 cryptsetup-1.0.5-r1 xf86-video-dummy-0.2.0
    groff-1.19.2-r1 dd-rescue-1.10 xf86-video-fbdev-0.3.1
    hdparm-8.6 ddrescue-1.8 xf86-video-glint-1.1.1
    hwdata-gentoo-0.4 device-mapper-1.02.26 xf86-video-i128-1.2.1
    hwsetup-1.2 dmraid-1.0.0_rc14 xf86-video-i740-1.1.0
    ipmitool-1.8.9 dosfstools-2.11-r3 xf86-video-i810-2.1.1
    iproute2-2.6.22.2007071 e2fsprogs-1.40.11 xf86-video-imstt-1.1.0
    kbd-1.13-r1 evms-2.5.5-r10 xf86-video-mga-1.4.6.1
    less-418 fuse-2.7.3 xf86-video-neomagic-1.1
    lm_sensors-2.10.4 hfsplusutils-1.0.4-r1 xf86-video-nsc-2.8.2
    lshw-02.12.01b hfsutils-3.2.6-r5 xf86-video-nv-2.1.2
    man-1.6f jfsutils-1.1.8 xf86-video-openchrome-0
    man-pages-2.80 lde-2.6.1 xf86-video-rendition-4.
    memtester-4.0.7 lsscsi-0.19 xf86-video-s3-0.5.0
    module-init-tools-3.4 lufis-0.3 xf86-video-s3virge-1.9.
    net-tools-1.60-r13 lufs-0.9.7-r3 xf86-video-savage-2.1.2
    netplug-1.2.9-r3 lvm2-2.02.33-r2 xf86-video-siliconmotio
    parted-1.8.8 mdadm-2.6.4-r1 xf86-video-sis-0.9.3
    pciutils-2.2.10 mtools-3.9.10 xf86-video-tdfx-1.3.0
    pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-r2 ntfs3g-1.2531 xf86-video-tga-1.1.0
    portage-2.1.4.4 ntfsprogs-2.0.0-r1 xf86-video-trident-1.2.
    pv-1.1.4 reiser4progs-1.0.6 xf86-video-tseng-1.1.1
    ren-1.0 reiserfsprogs-3.6.19-r2 xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0
    rename-1.3 scrounge-ntfs-0.9 xf86-video-vmware-10.15
    rescan-scsi-bus-1.25-r1 squashfs-tools-lzma-3.3 mrxvt-0.5.3-r2
    sdparm-1.02 sshfs-fuse-1.9 rxvt-unicode-9.02-r1
    sed-4.1.5-r1 sysfsutils-2.1.0 hicolor-icon-theme-0.10
    setserial-2.17-r3 udev-119 jwm-2.0.1
    sg3_utils-1.25 udftools-1.0.0b-r6 windowmaker-0.92.0-r3

    libxfce4mcs-4.4.2 xfce-mcs-manager-4.4.2 exo-0.3.4
    libxfce4util-4.4.2 xfce-mcs-plugins-4.4.2- terminal-0.2.8
    libxfcegui4-4.4.2

    Think you have a bit more there then you have with a XP boot disk :-)

    But the suse rescue boot is not bad either, it has everything needed to
    fix a broken system, and I guess that is the case with other dists too.

    /bb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast