Delete MBR ? - Suse

This is a discussion on Delete MBR ? - Suse ; T0M wrote: >>>In fact, even the most pro Microsoft guys often have a linux rescue >>>cd or usb-stick in their toolbox to fix problems like this. >>> > > What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Delete MBR ?

    T0M wrote:
    >>>In fact, even the most pro Microsoft guys often have a linux rescue
    >>>cd or usb-stick in their toolbox to fix problems like this.
    >>>

    > What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ?

    If you 'only' need to do things on openSUSE, then the openSUSE DVD is
    great. If in general, go for http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Much more then 'just' a Linux rescue CD.

    And talking about Microsoft guys using linux boot CDs, the Belgian
    police uses their own distribution with some added tools that 'hacks'
    the passwords of machines they confiscate.

    The huge advantage for them is that they can easily mount the HD
    read-only and not have somebody wipe the HD when you enter a password
    wrongly three times or stuff like that.

    Also no need to be scared of virusses that way.
    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

  2. Re: Delete MBR ?

    T0M wrote:
    >>>In fact, even the most pro Microsoft guys often have a linux rescue
    >>>cd or usb-stick in their toolbox to fix problems like this.
    >>>

    >What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ?

    >thanks in advance,

    Since this is an openSUSE group, all the recent openSUSE DVDs
    have a rescue function that includes reinstalling the MBR.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: Delete MBR ?

    T0M explained on 26.08.2008 :

    > What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ?

    You might take a look at the 'super grub disk', which helped to fix my
    MBR problems (after I had erased the Linux filesystems on a multiboot
    PC).

    Jean

    --
    Jean Bausch

  4. Re: Delete MBR ?

    Jean Bausch wrote:
    > T0M explained on 26.08.2008 :
    >
    >> What is, in your opinion, the 'best' linx rescue CD available ?
    >>

    > You might take a look at the 'super grub disk', which helped to fix my
    > MBR problems (after I had erased the Linux filesystems on a multiboot
    > PC).

    From the name, I would say that that only would solve grub issues. So no
    Lilo issues, no other HD issues and no whatever things. You might be
    able to boot and do some things, but I would hardly call that the 'best'
    linux rescue CD. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

  5. Re: Delete MBR ?

    houghi wrote :

    >> You might take a look at the 'super grub disk', which helped to fix my
    >> MBR problems (after I had erased the Linux filesystems on a multiboot
    >> PC).

    > From the name, I would say that that only would solve grub issues. So no
    > Lilo issues, no other HD issues and no whatever things. You might be
    > able to boot and do some things, but I would hardly call that the 'best'
    > linux rescue CD. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    You are right there, it is a very specialized tool which solves grub
    and MBR issues. As the original posting asked for MBR handling, I
    proposed this tool which was helpful to me. For my problem I had tried
    Linux rescue system and the ultimate boot cd, but didn't manage to boot
    any system from disk.

    Jean

    --
    Jean Bausch