howto setup local file sharing (nfs) without GUI tools - Suse

This is a discussion on howto setup local file sharing (nfs) without GUI tools - Suse ; hello, If you do >kcontrol Internet & Network -> File Sharing then check "Enable Local_Network File Sharing" what exactly happens? What configuration files change? I would like to be able to do this from CLI as root! To have to ...

  1. howto setup local file sharing (nfs) without GUI tools

    hello,

    If you do
    >kcontrol

    Internet & Network -> File Sharing

    then check "Enable Local_Network File Sharing"

    what exactly happens? What configuration files change?

    I would like to be able to do this from CLI as root! To have to
    open the kcontrol GUI tool to setup nfs file sharing is undesirable to
    me, since this approach is peculiar to OpenSuSE.

    Using OpenSuSE x86_64 on abit kn9 with amd 5200

    --
    Mark

  2. Re: howto setup local file sharing (nfs) without GUI tools

    Mark Pryor wrote:

    > I would like to be able to do this from CLI as root! To have to
    > open the kcontrol GUI tool to setup nfs file sharing is undesirable to
    > me, since this approach is peculiar to OpenSuSE.
    >
    > Using OpenSuSE x86_64 on abit kn9 with amd 5200

    from command line start yast in CLI ;-)
    for nfs client --> "yast nfs"
    for nfs server --> "yast nfs_server"

    look @ "yast --l" also ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: howto setup local file sharing (nfs) without GUI tools

    Mark Pryor wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > If you do
    >>kcontrol

    > Internet & Network -> File Sharing
    >
    > then check "Enable Local_Network File Sharing"
    >
    > what exactly happens? What configuration files change?
    >
    > I would like to be able to do this from CLI as root! To have to
    > open the kcontrol GUI tool to setup nfs file sharing is undesirable to
    > me, since this approach is peculiar to OpenSuSE.
    >
    > Using OpenSuSE x86_64 on abit kn9 with amd 5200

    Relevant files are
    /etc/fstab
    /etc/exports

    First to define where you want to mount shares from other computers.
    Second to define what you want to export to other computers.

    See manpages for each file (http://en.opensuse.org/Manual_Pages)

    There is also /etc/sysconfig/nfs with some variables that can be set, but
    that is not much. I would also create backups before changes with
    extension '-before', to have proper functioning files ready to copy back,
    and '-after' to have backup in case that updates overwrite your config
    file.

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

  4. Re: howto setup local file sharing (nfs) without GUI tools

    Mark Pryor wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > If you do
    >>kcontrol

    > Internet & Network -> File Sharing
    >
    > then check "Enable Local_Network File Sharing"
    >
    > what exactly happens? What configuration files change?
    >
    > I would like to be able to do this from CLI as root! To have to
    > open the kcontrol GUI tool to setup nfs file sharing is undesirable to
    > me, since this approach is peculiar to OpenSuSE.
    >
    > Using OpenSuSE x86_64 on abit kn9 with amd 5200

    Yast basically executes scripts in the /usr/sbin directory. The only thing
    to do on a commandline is typing as root:
    rcnfs start|stop etc
    rcnfsserver start|stop etc

    rcnfs and rcnfsserver is a link to /etc/init.d/nfs and nfsserver which are
    normal bash scripts
    Taco

  5. Re: howto setup local file sharing (nfs) without GUI tools

    taco wrote:
    > rcnfs and rcnfsserver is a link to /etc/init.d/nfs and nfsserver which are
    > normal bash scripts

    Those in turn then point to the real programs to run. Most likely with
    added parameters (didn't check)

    --
    houghi http://www.houghi.org
    My experience with SuSE Linux 9.1

    > The businessworld is like prison and M$ made everybody their bitch.

+ Reply to Thread