Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive. - Suse

This is a discussion on Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive. - Suse ; I failed to install openSuse 11.0 on my Evesham laptop, which had previously been running 10.1 and then 10.3 without problems. All seemed fine to start with. The / partition was formatted, and the installation started, but soon afterwards I ...

  1. Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    I failed to install openSuse 11.0 on my Evesham laptop, which had
    previously been running 10.1 and then 10.3 without problems.

    All seemed fine to start with. The / partition was formatted, and the
    installation started, but soon afterwards I got a failure message, the
    last part of which can be seen here:
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1710.jpg

    Has anyone any ideas what might be wrong, and if it can be corrected ?

    I have no reason to suspect the HD, as it had been running fine before the
    installation was attempted.

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul Williamson

  2. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    paul williamson wrote:
    > I have no reason to suspect the HD, as it had been running fine before the
    > installation was attempted.

    How is the disk partitioned and what is on it and what is used and what
    is unsused? To me it seems that the is a problem with the partition
    named part6.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  3. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    Hello houghi,

    Thanks for the reply.

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 21:26:33 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > paul williamson wrote:
    >> I have no reason to suspect the HD, as it had been running fine before the
    >> installation was attempted.

    > How is the disk partitioned and what is on it and what is used and what
    > is unsused? To me it seems that the is a problem with the partition
    > named part6.

    Here is the partition table, as shown during the installation process:
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1712.jpg

    /dev/sda1 has got Windows XP on it

    Most of the rest speaks for itself. As you can see, sda6 is due to be
    formatted for the new / partition.
    The /home on sda7 is, I imagine, my old home from the 10.1 installation
    which was on the disk before I started this installation. (Presumably
    its / partition was on sda6, but I can't check that now.)

    sda8 and sda9 are FAT 32 partitions with data on them, and sda10 appears
    to be spare. I don't know what, if anything is on it, and certainly
    nothing that matters to me.

    Paul Williamson

  4. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    paul williamson wrote:
    >> How is the disk partitioned and what is on it and what is used and what
    >> is unsused? To me it seems that the is a problem with the partition
    >> named part6.

    > Here is the partition table, as shown during the installation process:
    > http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1712.jpg
    >
    > /dev/sda1 has got Windows XP on it

    What I would do is only use what you actualy need. This means only swap
    and /. Then if that works, you can add the rest one by one.
    Also you can not see on the picture what one is with part6 in its name.
    My guess is the one called /windows/E yet I am not sure.

    So just see that sda5 and sda6 are in the Mount column and try again.
    Also see what the Devices are. You can now just see scsi-S.

    Then when all works, you log in as root and in YaST configure sda7 as
    /home. Then log out and log in as user. Start YaST and first configure
    sda1 as /windows/C and mount it.
    Next do the same for sda8 and /windowsD, then sda9 and /windows/E

    Next do /sda10 on /media/linux. That way you can see what is on that
    partition.
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  5. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:45:49 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > paul williamson wrote:
    >>> How is the disk partitioned and what is on it and what is used and
    >>> what is unsused? To me it seems that the is a problem with the
    >>> partition named part6.

    >> Here is the partition table, as shown during the installation process:
    >> http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1712.jpg
    >>
    >> /dev/sda1 has got Windows XP on it

    > What I would do is only use what you actualy need. This means only swap
    > and /. Then if that works, you can add the rest one by one.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I made sure that only sda5 and sda6 were in
    the mount column, and the installation appeared to work at first.
    However, after loading for a few minutes the error came back. These 2
    pictures show the full details (top and bottom of the error window):
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1716.jpg
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1717.jpg

    and this picture shows the dialogue which came during the aborting
    process:
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1718.jpg

    > Also you can not see on the picture what one is with part6
    >in its name.

    The parts are numbered the same as the /sda numbers. So part6 is
    /dev/sda6

    I also tried installing 10.3 on the drive, and it installed fine, without
    needing to change anything in the partition table, so I have to suspect
    this is a problem caused by 11.0. I thought I had seen something about a
    problem with 11.0 and SATA drives, but I can't find any reference to it.

    BTW, I did a media check before starting the installation, and there were
    no problems found.

    Paul Williamson

  6. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    paul williamson wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I made sure that only sda5 and sda6 were in
    > the mount column, and the installation appeared to work at first.
    > However, after loading for a few minutes the error came back. These 2
    > pictures show the full details (top and bottom of the error window):
    > http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1716.jpg

    OK, it gives an error with the kernel RPM.
    Do you select Abort, Retry or Ignore?

    > http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1717.jpg
    >
    > and this picture shows the dialogue which came during the aborting
    > process:
    > http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1718.jpg

    This makes me think you tried Ignore and then the installation goes on.
    However when the kernel won't be installed, it will obvious give errors
    when you try to boot it.

    >> Also you can not see on the picture what one is with part6
    >>in its name.

    > The parts are numbered the same as the /sda numbers. So part6 is
    > /dev/sda6

    OK, but with the above it becomes clear that there is just that the
    kernel is not installed. No kernel, no boot. So it isn't a partition
    problem, it is an installation problem which occoured during the
    installation.

    > I also tried installing 10.3 on the drive, and it installed fine, without
    > needing to change anything in the partition table, so I have to suspect
    > this is a problem caused by 11.0. I thought I had seen something about a
    > problem with 11.0 and SATA drives, but I can't find any reference to it.

    From what I can see here, it is a problem with a specific RPM during the
    installation. On http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1718.jpg
    you can clearly see that this is still going on during the installation
    (look at the left)

    > BTW, I did a media check before starting the installation, and there were
    > no problems found.

    Try it during the installation. Also select a different kernel. You can
    later change it to this kernel with the online repo's

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  7. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    Hello Houghi

    Thanks for another quick reply.

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:48:52 +0200, houghi wrote:
    > paul williamson wrote:
    >> Thanks for the suggestion. I made sure that only sda5 and sda6 were in
    >> the mount column, and the installation appeared to work at first.
    >> However, after loading for a few minutes the error came back. These 2
    >> pictures show the full details (top and bottom of the error window):
    >> http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1716.jpg

    > OK, it gives an error with the kernel RPM. Do you select Abort, Retry or
    > Ignore?

    I select Abort at that point.

    >> http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1717.jpg
    >>
    >> and this picture shows the dialogue which came during the aborting
    >>http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1718.jpg process:
    >>

    > This makes me think you tried Ignore and then the installation goes on.

    I chose Abort, and after doing that, the system goes on to "Finishing
    Basic installation", then it gives an "Installation Error" message.

    The dialogue here:
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1718.jpg is the window that
    comes after choosing to run the "Automatic debugger" from within the
    "Installation Error" message.

    > OK, but with the above it becomes clear that there is just that the
    > kernel is not installed. No kernel, no boot. So it isn't a partition
    > problem, it is an installation problem which occoured during the
    > installation.

    OK - I understand that.

    > From what I can see here, it is a problem with a specific RPM during the
    > installation. On http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/phwilliamson/pict1718.jpg
    > you can clearly see that this is still going on during the installation
    > (look at the left)
    >
    >> BTW, I did a media check before starting the installation, and there
    >> were no problems found.

    > Try it during the installation.

    As far as I can see, the only chance to do the media check is when the
    screen comes up saying "Boot from hard drive" "Installation" etc. One of
    the options further down is the media check, and that is when I did it.

    >Also select a different kernel. You can
    > later change it to this kernel with the online repo's

    I have just tried the installation again, having chosen the "default"
    kernel, and I got a similar error message (looks the same except for the
    different kernel name) after 16 percent of the installation had been done.

    Paul Williamson

  8. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    paul williamson wrote:
    >> OK, it gives an error with the kernel RPM. Do you select Abort, Retry or
    >> Ignore?

    > I select Abort at that point.

    OK.

    >>> BTW, I did a media check before starting the installation, and there
    >>> were no problems found.

    >> Try it during the installation.

    > As far as I can see, the only chance to do the media check is when the
    > screen comes up saying "Boot from hard drive" "Installation" etc. One of
    > the options further down is the media check, and that is when I did it.

    OK. When you said before installation, I thought you ment before
    installation. When you already booted from the CD/DVD it is during the
    installation.

    > I have just tried the installation again, having chosen the "default"
    > kernel, and I got a similar error message (looks the same except for the
    > different kernel name) after 16 percent of the installation had been done.

    Strange. The only thing I can sugest is to download a different CD. You
    could go for the NetworkInstall. Not very big. It means however that it
    will install over the Internet.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  9. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    houghi wrote:

    > Strange. The only thing I can sugest is to download a different CD. You
    > could go for the NetworkInstall. Not very big. It means however that it
    > will install over the Internet.

    Maybe to put iso file on last, unused linux partition, and than try to
    install from there. I don't have time to check, but there must be option to
    use local hard disk as installation source instead of DVD. Give iso file
    some name easy to remember, like opensuse110.iso, and go from there.

    There are 2 articles about installation without CD/DVD:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD
    http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_using_images

    And few other installation options:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Installation

    This will help only if problem is CD/DVD burning, like speed too high for
    the used raw media. There are some discussions on that, k3b and wodim, on
    http://lists.opensuse.org .

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

  10. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    Hello Rajko

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:13:05 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
    > houghi wrote:

    >> Strange. The only thing I can sugest is to download a different CD. You
    >> could go for the NetworkInstall. Not very big. It means however that it
    >> will install over the Internet.

    > Maybe to put iso file on last, unused linux partition, and than try to
    > install from there. I don't have time to check, but there must be option
    > to use local hard disk as installation source instead of DVD. Give iso
    > file some name easy to remember, like opensuse110.iso, and go from
    > there.

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not very technical, but if it is possible
    for the DVD to pass the media check, but still have problems, then maybe
    the installation from a local HD would be a good idea.

    However, I tried an installation on my USB HD earlier, and all went fine,
    so that suggests to me that the DVD is OK, and I was just about to post to
    say that I followed houghi's suggestion (thanks - houghi) and tried the
    internet installation, and that seems to have worked fine. It took a few
    hours on my ADSL broadband, but it has the advantage that everything seems
    to be the latest version, so it hasn't needed to do any updating.

    Maybe something has been updated which was causing the problem ? Is that
    likely ?

    Anyway, it looks like I'm on the way ok now.

    Paul Williamson

  11. Re: Failed to install openSuse 11.0 on Evesham laptop with SATA drive.

    paul williamson wrote:

    > Hello Rajko
    >
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:13:05 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:

    >>> Strange. The only thing I can sugest is to download a different CD. You
    >>> could go for the NetworkInstall. Not very big. It means however that it
    >>> will install over the Internet.

    >> Maybe to put iso file on last, unused linux partition, and than try to
    >> install from there. I don't have time to check, but there must be option
    >> to use local hard disk as installation source instead of DVD. Give iso
    >> file some name easy to remember, like opensuse110.iso, and go from
    >> there.

    > Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not very technical, but if it is possible
    > for the DVD to pass the media check, but still have problems, then maybe
    > the installation from a local HD would be a good idea.

    Without instalation logs (and expertise) it is not possible to give valid
    comment.

    The idea to try hard disk installation was just a hint from reading about
    similar problems where DVD disk test passed, but installation failed, and
    hard disk based installation succeeded.

    I had no problems recently, but I burn DVDs and CDs at half speed, to avoid
    problems at top speeds. Max speeds are probably reproducible, but only if
    you have new drive and media used by drive manufacturer. No one tells what
    they used, besides probably "quality media". Maximum speed used with not
    so "quality media" often produces coasters, or even worse readable media,
    but under certain conditions. The same is valid for blank media
    manufacturers. Max speed is for "quality burners". :-)

    > However, I tried an installation on my USB HD earlier, and all went fine,
    > so that suggests to me that the DVD is OK, and I was just about to post to
    > say that I followed houghi's suggestion (thanks - houghi) and tried the
    > internet installation, and that seems to have worked fine. It took a few
    > hours on my ADSL broadband, but it has the advantage that everything seems
    > to be the latest version, so it hasn't needed to do any updating.
    >
    > Maybe something has been updated which was causing the problem ? Is that
    > likely ?

    The only repo that is changing, once openSUSE is released, is Update, which
    is direct under root directory on download.opensuse.org
    http://download.opensuse.org/update/
    So, even installation system is downloaded, it is the same as the one on
    DVD.

    > Anyway, it looks like I'm on the way ok now.
    >
    > Paul Williamson

    Yes, you are, but in case that DVD fails somewhere else, let us know.

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

+ Reply to Thread