<Question about Usenet Groups> - Suse

This is a discussion on <Question about Usenet Groups> - Suse ; First, sorry if this post is in the wrong area, but since I am new to 'Usenet' groups, am asking this here: >The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to this group will make your ...

  1. <Question about Usenet Groups>

    First, sorry if this post is in the wrong area, but since I am new to
    'Usenet' groups, am asking this here:

    >The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to this group will make your email address visible to >anyone on the Internet.

    When I reply to this (via the GoogleGroups page), there is no way to
    add formatting: it was mentioned here that this is a 'Usenet Group' -
    is there a separate client/program to read such 'Usenet' group
    messages & if yes, what does one use & how to configure it?

  2. Re: <Question about Usenet Groups>

    zmdmw52 wrote:
    > First, sorry if this post is in the wrong area, but since I am new to
    > 'Usenet' groups, am asking this here:
    >
    >> The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to this group will make your email address visible to >anyone on the Internet.

    > When I reply to this (via the GoogleGroups page), there is no way to
    > add formatting: it was mentioned here that this is a 'Usenet Group' -
    > is there a separate client/program to read such 'Usenet' group
    > messages & if yes, what does one use & how to configure it?

  3. Re: <Question about Usenet Groups>

    In message
    <1f241756-99e1-4826-80b9-025035368731@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
    zmdmw52 writes
    >First, sorry if this post is in the wrong area, but since I am new to
    >'Usenet' groups, am asking this here:
    >
    >>The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to
    >>this group will make your email address visible to >anyone on the
    >>Internet.

    >When I reply to this (via the GoogleGroups page), there is no way to
    >add formatting: it was mentioned here that this is a 'Usenet Group' -
    >is there a separate client/program to read such 'Usenet' group
    >messages & if yes, what does one use & how to configure it?

    Start here:-

    One key piece of information is in the 2nd paragraph which describes how
    usenet "works", and is different to the way a single web site works:-

    "One notable difference from a BBS or web forum is that there is no
    central server, nor central system owner. Usenet is distributed among a
    large, constantly changing conglomeration of servers which store and
    forward messages to one another. These servers are loosely connected in
    a variable mesh[clarify]. Individual users usually read from and post
    messages to a local server operated by their ISP, university or
    employer. The servers then exchange the messages between one another, so
    that they are available to readers beyond the original server."

    Once you are familiar with the process, find yourself a newsreader
    programme for your PC which you can pick from any number of free
    choices, with a little research, and decide which news server you want
    to use as your gateway to usenet.

    --
    Dave N

  4. Re: <Question about Usenet Groups>

    On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    wrote:

    >First, sorry if this post is in the wrong area, but since I am new to
    >'Usenet' groups, am asking this here:

    google is primarily a data mining service, and secondly a very powerful
    search engine. You probably want to start by searching for the keywords
    "what is Usenet" (put a '+' between 'what' and 'is' so it knows you
    want those words tied together):

    Results 1 - 10 of about 11,400,000 for what+is Usenet. (0.26 seconds)

    >>The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to

    >this group will make your email address visible to >anyone on the
    >Internet.

    Actually, that's only partly true, as posts from groups.google.com are
    often filtered off by people who see only spam posted from there.

    >When I reply to this (via the GoogleGroups page), there is no way to
    >add formatting: it was mentioned here that this is a 'Usenet Group' -
    >is there a separate client/program to read such 'Usenet' group
    >messages & if yes, what does one use & how to configure it?

    There are literally dozens of news readers available, and you can
    usually make your browser act as one, although it will do a poor job as
    it tries to do everything (do you use a screw driver to install nails,
    cut wires, and eat your food, because it's the only tool you bothered
    to learn to use?). http://www.newsreaders.com/unix/clients.html will
    mention applications that run under various forms of *nix.

    News _servers_ is another overflow situation. Many ISPs provide free
    access to a server as part of their product, although some ignore this
    as a means to increase their profit. You can find a large number of
    free or low cost servers out there - try looking at
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet..._News_Servers/ and
    http://www.geocities.com/freefreenews/ for suggestions.

    The number of news groups available varies by news server. Each should
    carry the basic "Big Eight" hierarchies (comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*,
    news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, and talk.*), but the "official list is
    only 2290 groups. Most servers carry more than these groups, and most
    also carry additional hierarchies, such as alt.*. Servers such as
    those listed in the two pages above should carry 10000 to 170000 groups
    (ten to one-hundred-seventy _thousand_ groups) some of which are useless,
    some of interest to limited groups, some very useful.

    Old guy

  5. Re: <Question about Usenet Groups>

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > Actually, that's only partly true, as posts from groups.google.com are
    > often filtered off by people who see only spam posted from there.

    There are even newsservers that filter out google.groups postings.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

+ Reply to Thread