Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly - Suse ; Hi I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4 (which I've binned) and I installed 3.5.9 over the net. Everything works ok except when I plug in a USB stick (or camera) I get the following ...

  1. Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

    Hi

    I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4 (which I've binned)
    and I installed 3.5.9 over the net. Everything works ok except when I
    plug in a USB stick (or camera) I get the following error when it
    brings up the file viewer:

    hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action, result)

    The exact same error occured with suse 10.3 and the solution was to
    edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf but that fix doesn't seem to work
    this time.

    Has anyone else come across this? (USB worked ok under KDE4 and its
    not a core OS problem as I can mount the devices manually from the
    command line)

    Thanks for any help

    B2003

  2. Re: Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

    Boltar wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4

    What DVD was that? I tought the DVD had KDE 4, KDE 3.5 and GNOME and ...

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

  3. Re: Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

    On Aug 4, 10:04 am, houghi wrote:
    > Boltar wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4

    > What DVD was that? I tought the DVD had KDE 4, KDE 3.5 and GNOME and ...

    It came off a magazine front cover. If I'd known it only had KDE4 I
    wouldn't have bought it (

    B2003

  4. Re: Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

    Boltar wrote:
    >> What DVD was that? I tought the DVD had KDE 4, KDE 3.5 and GNOME and ...

    > It came off a magazine front cover. If I'd known it only had KDE4 I
    > wouldn't have bought it (

    OK, good to know. However it doesn't realy matter. You could install the
    GNOME live CD, remove GNOME and add XFCE and have the same as using the
    boxed set where you select XFCE directly.

    And above you can change GNOME and XFCE with KDE3 and KDE4.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    Quote correctly (EN) http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  5. Re: Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

    On 2008-08-04, Boltar wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4 (which I've binned)
    > and I installed 3.5.9 over the net. Everything works ok except when I
    > plug in a USB stick (or camera) I get the following error when it
    > brings up the file viewer:
    >
    > hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action, result)
    >
    > The exact same error occured with suse 10.3 and the solution was to
    > edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf but that fix doesn't seem to work
    > this time.
    >
    > Has anyone else come across this? (USB worked ok under KDE4 and its
    > not a core OS problem as I can mount the devices manually from the
    > command line)
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > B2003

    USB needed to be added as a line in the "/etc/fstab". I had thought that
    it would have been "automatic" but it doesn't appear so; have done some
    searches & "think" that I know how to add the line if I can find the
    ref again....:-(.

    I had the same error in trying to copy something to a usb stick.

  6. Re: Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:42:08 -0500, nobody wrote:

    > On 2008-08-04, Boltar wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4 (which I've binned)
    >> and I installed 3.5.9 over the net. Everything works ok except when I
    >> plug in a USB stick (or camera) I get the following error when it
    >> brings up the file viewer:
    >>
    >> hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action, result)
    >>
    >> The exact same error occured with suse 10.3 and the solution was to
    >> edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf but that fix doesn't seem to work
    >> this time.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else come across this? (USB worked ok under KDE4 and its not
    >> a core OS problem as I can mount the devices manually from the command
    >> line)
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >>
    >> B2003

    > USB needed to be added as a line in the "/etc/fstab". I had thought
    > that it would have been "automatic" but it doesn't appear so; have done
    > some searches & "think" that I know how to add the line if I can find
    > the ref again....:-(.
    >
    > I had the same error in trying to copy something to a usb stick.

    No problem here, but I installed kde 3.5.9 from new.
    The only line in fstab mentioning usb is
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0

    lsmod shows
    usbcore 188376 4 usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
    and
    scsi_mod 195032 5 usb_storage,sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,libata

  7. Re: Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

    On 2008-08-05, graham wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:42:08 -0500, nobody wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-08-04, Boltar wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4 (which I've binned)
    >>> and I installed 3.5.9 over the net. Everything works ok except when I
    >>> plug in a USB stick (or camera) I get the following error when it
    >>> brings up the file viewer:
    >>>
    >>> hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action, result)
    >>>
    >>> The exact same error occured with suse 10.3 and the solution was to
    >>> edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf but that fix doesn't seem to work
    >>> this time.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else come across this? (USB worked ok under KDE4 and its not
    >>> a core OS problem as I can mount the devices manually from the command
    >>> line)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help
    >>>
    >>> B2003

    >> USB needed to be added as a line in the "/etc/fstab". I had thought
    >> that it would have been "automatic" but it doesn't appear so; have done
    >> some searches & "think" that I know how to add the line if I can find
    >> the ref again....:-(.
    >>
    >> I had the same error in trying to copy something to a usb stick.

    > No problem here, but I installed kde 3.5.9 from new.
    > The only line in fstab mentioning usb is
    > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    >
    > lsmod shows
    > usbcore 188376 4 usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
    > and
    > scsi_mod 195032 5 usb_storage,sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,libata

    Thanks, it's much simplar that what I thought I had to do or seen.

+ Reply to Thread