How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11? - Suse

This is a discussion on How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11? - Suse ; KDE 4.04 is just awful. It has so many bugs I've lost count. Icons vanishing or the name not being set , SIGSEGV all the time from dolphin, the annoying new method of handling USB devices where it doesn't bother ...

  1. How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    KDE 4.04 is just awful. It has so many bugs I've lost count. Icons
    vanishing or the name not being set , SIGSEGV all the time from
    dolphin, the annoying new method of handling USB devices where it
    doesn't bother to do anything when you plug them in - you have to tell
    it to mount them. WTF did it think I wanted to do with them??

    So my question is - can I easily revert to KDE3.5 with suse 11? HAs
    anyone tried it?

    Thanks for any help

    B2003

  2. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    Boltar wrote:

    > So my question is - can I easily revert to KDE3.5 with suse 11?

    Go to YaST / Software / Softwaremanagement, change "filter" to "patterns",
    tick KDE3 Desktop environment. You can hence pick KDE 3 under "sessions"
    next time you are at the login screen.

    regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    Andreas Stieger wrote:

    > Boltar wrote:
    >
    >> So my question is - can I easily revert to KDE3.5 with suse 11?

    > Go to YaST / Software / Softwaremanagement, change "filter" to "patterns",
    > tick KDE3 Desktop environment. You can hence pick KDE 3 under "sessions"
    > next time you are at the login screen.

    be aware that this is NOT reverting, this is adding 3.5. You can also
    add GNOME or Windowmaker.

    On a sidenote, you can also change KDE 4.0 into 4.1
    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/
    or http://tinyurl.com/5sw5qq

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  4. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    On 3 Aug, 15:37, houghi wrote:
    > On a sidenote, you can also change KDE 4.0 into 4.1http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/kde-41-released-with-opensuse-pac...
    > orhttp://tinyurl.com/5sw5qq

    OK , thought I'd give 4.1 a try. Just as bad. I try to create a link
    to an app using dolphin - I set everything up , click ok - no icon
    appears on the desktop. And if you create a link to an app using drag
    and drop you can't alter the command line so you can't pass the
    program any parameters. This is a truly dire system, poorly thought
    out and badly executed. Far more of a ****up than Vista - at least
    that got the basics working. I'll probably just revert to suse 10.3
    until they've sorted this mess out properly as installing 3.5 seems to
    choke all the time.

    B2003

  5. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    Boltar wrote:

    > that got the basics working. I'll probably just revert to suse 10.3
    > until they've sorted this mess out properly as installing 3.5 seems to
    > choke all the time.

    add to "yast - software sources" and reinstall the KDE 3.5.9 ;-)
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_11.0

    the KDE 4.x versions are stable but not yet replaceble to KDE 3.5.x
    KDE 3.5.10 comes also in half august ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  6. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    houghi wrote:

    > Or you can now download the unofficial openSUSE KDE 3.5 ISO:
    > http://cgoncalves.blogspot.com/2008/...-live-cds.html

    nice ;-)

    but if use the 70MB net boot install CD
    add the repositories that i want and install ;-)

    > Such is the force op opensource that if somebody wants it, they can make
    > it themselves. Also it shows what kiwi is capable of.

    if i had the time.........
    i will try soon to make a usb openSUSE.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.9 / openSUSE 11.0

  7. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    Boltar wrote:
    > And if you create a link to an app using drag
    > and drop you can't alter the command line so you can't pass the
    > program any parameters.

    That was always the case with links. What you want is a desktop icon,
    not a link. A link is just that, a link (created with "ln -s").

  8. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    EOS wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Or you can now download the unofficial openSUSE KDE 3.5 ISO:
    >> http://cgoncalves.blogspot.com/2008/...-live-cds.html

    > nice ;-)
    >
    > but if use the 70MB net boot install CD
    > add the repositories that i want and install ;-)

    Or buy the boxed set and do the same (or any of the other ISO's)

    >> Such is the force op opensource that if somebody wants it, they can make
    >> it themselves. Also it shows what kiwi is capable of.

    > if i had the time.........
    > i will try soon to make a usb openSUSE.

    I already did that partly. Installed it to USB instead of HD and booted
    from that.

    Will try it again. YaST, Miscellaneous, Image creator. You can make live
    ISOs and also USB images.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle
    for code. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

  9. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    On Aug 3, 7:56 pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Boltar wrote:
    > > And if you create a link to an app using drag
    > > and drop you can't alter the command line so you can't pass the
    > > program any parameters.

    > That was always the case with links. What you want is a desktop icon,
    > not a link. A link is just that, a link (created with "ln -s").

    I was talking about desktop icons. Didn't mean to confuse.

    B2003

  10. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    Boltar wrote:

    > On 3 Aug, 15:37, houghi wrote:
    >> On a sidenote, you can also change KDE 4.0 into

    4.1http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/kde-41-released-with-opensuse-pac...
    >> orhttp://tinyurl.com/5sw5qq

    > OK , thought I'd give 4.1 a try. Just as bad. I try to create a link
    > to an app using dolphin - I set everything up , click ok - no icon
    > appears on the desktop. And if you create a link to an app using drag
    > and drop you can't alter the command line so you can't pass the
    > program any parameters. This is a truly dire system, poorly thought
    > out and badly executed. Far more of a ****up than Vista - at least
    > that got the basics working. I'll probably just revert to suse 10.3
    > until they've sorted this mess out properly as installing 3.5 seems to
    > choke all the time.
    >
    > B2003

    the difference with vista and kde4.1 you have to pay for vista
    second you still have an alternative to kde4.1
    third don't nock free software
    forth every thing takes time to develop thats why kde 4 is out there do get
    rid of the bugs, lets see what fixes first vista or kde 4.1
    fifth yes i think kde 4.1 is not there yet. but it should get there!!!!

  11. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    nglenngeln@netscape.net (darklight) wrote in

    > forth every thing takes time to develop thats why kde 4 is out there
    > do get rid of the bugs, lets see what fixes first vista or kde 4.1
    > fifth yes i think kde 4.1 is not there yet. but it should get
    > there!!!!

    Is KDE 4, or even 4.1, being clearly described as a "beta" release?

    If it's really just being put out to "get rid of the bugs", it should
    be advertised as such.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

  12. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > nglenngeln@netscape.net (darklight) wrote in
    >
    >> forth every thing takes time to develop thats why kde 4 is out there
    >> do get rid of the bugs, lets see what fixes first vista or kde 4.1
    >> fifth yes i think kde 4.1 is not there yet. but it should get
    >> there!!!!
    >>

    > Is KDE 4, or even 4.1, being clearly described as a "beta" release?
    >
    > If it's really just being put out to "get rid of the bugs", it should
    > be advertised as such.

    It is advertised as "not quite there yet." See http://www.kde.org
    Besides, how can they tell if there are bugs if no one uses it? The
    more people use it, the more bugs will show up. So they can't *really*
    tell if it's ready unless they release a final of it.

  13. Re: How can I revert to KDE 3.5 in Suse 11?

    Boltar wrote:
    > KDE 4.04 is just awful. It has so many bugs I've lost count. Icons
    > vanishing or the name not being set , SIGSEGV all the time from
    > dolphin, the annoying new method of handling USB devices where it
    > doesn't bother to do anything when you plug them in - you have to tell
    > it to mount them. WTF did it think I wanted to do with them??
    >
    > So my question is - can I easily revert to KDE3.5 with suse 11? HAs
    > anyone tried it?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > B2003

    Type ctrl-alt-backspace then at the login screen select session kde3. if
    it's not there select another simple window manager like XFCE or FVWM or
    ICE. after that is up start a terminal session and SU to root. run Yast2
    and select software management. Select pattern filter and check KDE3
    environment and base system. After that is installed you can log out or
    ctrl-alt-backspace and log in with KDE3 which should be 3.5.9 version.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

+ Reply to Thread