Video problems - Suse

This is a discussion on Video problems - Suse ; I installed Opensuse 11.0 on my old Sony VAIO PCG-5202 which has a Neomagic Corporation Model: 256XL(2380) display. X does not work properly.When it starts, There is what looks like the outline of an old TV in the center of ...

  1. Video problems

    I installed Opensuse 11.0 on my old Sony VAIO PCG-5202 which has a
    Neomagic Corporation
    Model: 256XL(2380) display.

    X does not work properly.When it starts, There is what looks like the
    outline of an old TV in the center of the screen, surrounded by a
    white cloud which expands inwards.

    But when I kill X (ctrl-alt-F1) I suddenly see the X11 login screen
    before it goes back to text mode.

    What is causing this, and how do I fix X11?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Video problems

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:54:02 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > I installed Opensuse 11.0 on my old Sony VAIO PCG-5202 which has a
    > Neomagic Corporation
    > Model: 256XL(2380) display.
    >
    > X does not work properly.When it starts, There is what looks like the
    > outline of an old TV in the center of the screen, surrounded by a white
    > cloud which expands inwards.
    >
    > But when I kill X (ctrl-alt-F1) I suddenly see the X11 login screen
    > before it goes back to text mode.
    >
    > What is causing this, and how do I fix X11?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    At the text prompt log in as root and change to runlevel 3. Then run
    sax2 and configure your video. Exit sax2 and log out. Log in as regular
    user and at the text prompt type startx.

  3. Re: Video problems

    On Aug 3, 12:48*am, Ramon wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:54:02 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > I installed Opensuse 11.0 on my old Sony VAIO PCG-5202 which has a
    > > Neomagic Corporation
    > > * Model: *256XL(2380) display.

    > > X does not work properly.When it starts, There is what looks like the
    > > outline of an old TV in the center of the screen, surrounded by a white
    > > cloud which expands inwards.

    > > But when I kill X (ctrl-alt-F1) I suddenly see the X11 login screen
    > > before it goes back to text mode.

    > > What is causing this, and how do I fix X11?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > At the text prompt log in as root and change to runlevel 3. *Then run
    > sax2 and configure your video. *Exit sax2 and log out. *Log in as regular
    > user and at the text prompt type startx.

    sax2 gives the same result, even when doing it in Vesa mode. I think
    the problem might be that the brightness is maxed out. How do I get
    the Fn Brightness control to work?

  4. Re: Video problems

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 06:46:46 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > On Aug 3, 12:48*am, Ramon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:54:02 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >> > I installed Opensuse 11.0 on my old Sony VAIO PCG-5202 which has a
    >> > Neomagic Corporation
    >> > * Model: *256XL(2380) display.

    >> > X does not work properly.When it starts, There is what looks like the
    >> > outline of an old TV in the center of the screen, surrounded by a
    >> > white cloud which expands inwards.

    >> > But when I kill X (ctrl-alt-F1) I suddenly see the X11 login screen
    >> > before it goes back to text mode.

    >> > What is causing this, and how do I fix X11?

    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Jim

    >> At the text prompt log in as root and change to runlevel 3. *Then run
    >> sax2 and configure your video. *Exit sax2 and log out. *Log in as
    >> regular user and at the text prompt type startx.

    > sax2 gives the same result, even when doing it in Vesa mode. I think the
    > problem might be that the brightness is maxed out. How do I get the Fn
    > Brightness control to work?

    maybe sax is not conservative with the modeline.
    Try as root
    # xmode -x 1024 -y 768 -r 60
    48
    60
    Modeline "1024x768" 64.11 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 795
    substituting your own xy dimensions and put the calculated modeline in
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Section "Modes"
    Comment out any existing modelines quoted there.

  5. Re: Video problems

    On Aug 4, 3:42*am, graham wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 06:46:46 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > >> At the text prompt log in as root and change to runlevel 3. *Then run
    > >> sax2 and configure your video. *Exit sax2 and log out. *Log in as
    > >> regular user and at the text prompt type startx.

    > > sax2 gives the same result, even when doing it in Vesa mode. I think the
    > > problem might be that the brightness is maxed out. How do I get the Fn
    > > Brightness control to work?

    > maybe sax is not conservative with the modeline.
    > Try as root
    > *# xmode -x 1024 -y 768 -r 60
    > 48
    > 60
    > Modeline "1024x768" 64.11 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 795
    > substituting your own xy dimensions and put the calculated modeline in
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Section "Modes"
    > Comment out any existing modelines quoted there.

    But the display is (for an instant) correct when I hit ctrl-alt-F1, so
    I think the mode must be OK.

+ Reply to Thread