Konqueror in KDE 4 - Suse

This is a discussion on Konqueror in KDE 4 - Suse ; I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows. Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_ horizontally? I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously. Is this ...

  1. Konqueror in KDE 4

    I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    horizontally?

    I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?

    OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/

  2. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:
    > I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    > Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    > horizontally?
    >
    > I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    > Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?

    Sorry, no answer. I tried to finddd out what this feature is and I could
    not even find a screenshot.

    > OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.

    Current as in 4.0 or as in 4.1. Both can be considerd current.

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  3. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-02, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    >> Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    >> horizontally?
    >>
    >> I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    >> Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?

    > Sorry, no answer. I tried to finddd out what this feature is and I could
    > not even find a screenshot.

    I wasn't expecting you to use evil

    In 3.x KDE in Konqueror you can click "Window" and right click Split.
    If you first split once you can repeat this, so the window gets splitted
    in several independent smaller windows both vertical and horizontal way.

    This is something I'm using all the time for long already. I just love
    it. Normallly I have it splitted in four, I'm using it as file manager.

    But this does not happen in KDE 4. (here that is)

    >> OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.

    > Current as in 4.0 or as in 4.1. Both can be considerd current.
    >
    > houghi

    I'm on KDE 3 right now so I'm not sure. It's the one that gets installed when
    you upgrade the system from 10.3/KDE to 11.0.

    The KDE 4 that comes there although you haven't asked for it.

    I just hope that no good features will be missing by the time I'm forced
    to change.

    I suppose KDE 3 will disappear within time, so I'm having
    looks at the 4, although it does not seem to give me anything I would
    want. All I want is the current functionality, I'm missing nothing in it.

    So far the 4 is an option, thank god.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  4. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-08-02, houghi wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>> I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    >>> Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    >>> horizontally?
    >>>
    >>> I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    >>> Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?

    >> Sorry, no answer. I tried to finddd out what this feature is and I could
    >> not even find a screenshot.

    > I wasn't expecting you to use evil
    >
    > In 3.x KDE in Konqueror you can click "Window" and right click Split.
    > If you first split once you can repeat this, so the window gets splitted
    > in several independent smaller windows both vertical and horizontal way.
    >
    > This is something I'm using all the time for long already. I just love
    > it. Normallly I have it splitted in four, I'm using it as file manager.
    >
    > But this does not happen in KDE 4. (here that is)
    >

    >>> OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.

    >> Current as in 4.0 or as in 4.1. Both can be considerd current.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I'm on KDE 3 right now so I'm not sure. It's the one that gets installed
    > when you upgrade the system from 10.3/KDE to 11.0.
    >
    > The KDE 4 that comes there although you haven't asked for it.
    >
    > I just hope that no good features will be missing by the time I'm forced
    > to change.
    >
    > I suppose KDE 3 will disappear within time, so I'm having
    > looks at the 4, although it does not seem to give me anything I would
    > want. All I want is the current functionality, I'm missing nothing in it.
    >
    > So far the 4 is an option, thank god.

    I hear that put opensuse 11 on laptop with kde 4 was not impressed it has a
    long way to go. kde 4 does not even have a system monitor for the task bar

    i will be sticking with 10.3 for a long time
    > Vahis

  5. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    >> Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    >> horizontally?
    >>
    >> I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    >> Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?

    > Sorry, no answer. I tried to finddd out what this feature is and I could
    > not even find a screenshot.
    >
    >> OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.

    > Current as in 4.0 or as in 4.1. Both can be considerd current.
    >
    > houghi

    I did not know of this feature, but I have managed to get a 3-way split:
    1. Split the screen ('Windows' on the menu), horizontal-wise or
    vertical-wise,
    2. If split left-right, the right-hand side can be slit top-bottom;
    if split top-bottom, the bottom half can be split left-right.

    PS I've just discovered something: I had the screen split top-bottom,

    and the bottom split left-right, and on a whim I split the right
    top-bottom. And then I split the bottom left-right. So I now have a
    5-way split: the top half is the largest, the bottom-left the second
    largest, ... the last two of the equal size. Is this a feature or
    what? There is something mathematical about it. Useful? I doubt it. I
    wonder how far we can go? I'm not interested.

    openSUSE 11.0 updated to the latest
    subscribing to BS/KDE:KDE4:Factoryesktop
    KDE4.1 Version 4.1.1 (KDE 4.1.0 (4.1 >= 20080722)) "release 19.3"
    Konqueror Version 4.1.1 (KDE 4.1.0 (4.1 >= 20080722)) "release 19.3"

  6. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-02, Taki wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>> I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    >>> Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    >>> horizontally?
    >>>
    >>> I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    >>> Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?

    >> Sorry, no answer. I tried to finddd out what this feature is and I could
    >> not even find a screenshot.
    >>
    >>> OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.

    >> Current as in 4.0 or as in 4.1. Both can be considerd current.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I did not know of this feature, but I have managed to get a 3-way split:
    > 1. Split the screen ('Windows' on the menu), horizontal-wise or
    > vertical-wise,
    > 2. If split left-right, the right-hand side can be slit top-bottom;
    > if split top-bottom, the bottom half can be split left-right.

    In KDE/Konqueror 3.5.9 you can split the window you're in the way you
    want it.

    Always the one you're in is splitted, vertically or
    horizontally, as you like.

    I always split my window to left/right, then both halves top/bottom.
    That way I have a four window file manager that suits my purposes the
    best way.

    > PS I've just discovered something: I had the screen split top-bottom,
    >
    > and the bottom split left-right, and on a whim I split the right
    > top-bottom. And then I split the bottom left-right. So I now have a
    > 5-way split: the top half is the largest, the bottom-left the second
    > largest, ... the last two of the equal size. Is this a feature or
    > what? There is something mathematical about it. Useful? I doubt it. I
    > wonder how far we can go? I'm not interested.

    I don't think it'll be interersting to see how far that can be taken
    either. Four windows is good for me.

    > openSUSE 11.0 updated to the latest
    > subscribing to BS/KDE:KDE4:Factoryesktop
    > KDE4.1 Version 4.1.1 (KDE 4.1.0 (4.1 >= 20080722)) "release 19.3"
    > Konqueror Version 4.1.1 (KDE 4.1.0 (4.1 >= 20080722)) "release 19.3"

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  7. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:

    > I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    > Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    > horizontally?
    >
    > I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    > Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?
    >
    > OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.
    >
    > Vahis

    for me it works
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori.../konq_kde4.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  8. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-03, EOS wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    >> Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    >> horizontally?
    >>
    >> I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    >> Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?
    >>
    >> OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.
    >>
    >> Vahis

    > for me it works
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori.../konq_kde4.png

    So it seems. Then it must be just me.

    I wonder. My 11.0 is an upgrade from 10.3 and KDE 4 came along with the
    upgrade.

    I only recently found it as I was looking at available log-in
    options after a kernel update. It was there and I tried it.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  9. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:
    > I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    > Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    > horizontally?
    >
    > I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    > Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?
    >
    > OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.
    >
    > Vahis

    Use Krusader twice.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  10. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-03, Blattus Slafaly wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> I am used to run Konqueror in KDE with splitted windows.
    >> Now in KDE 4 the window can only be splitted _either_ vertically _or_
    >> horizontally?
    >>
    >> I'm used to split it both ways to have four windows open simultaneously.
    >> Is this KDE 3.5 feature gone in KDE 4 or is it just me?
    >>
    >> OpenSUSE 11.0 + current KDE versions.
    >>
    >> Vahis

    > Use Krusader twice.

    I want to use Konqueror the way I'm used to with 3.5.9.
    I've learned that it's possible, I have obviously something wrong.

    Since I'm in no hurry to change to 4.1 it can wait.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  11. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:
    > I want to use Konqueror the way I'm used to with 3.5.9.
    > I've learned that it's possible, I have obviously something wrong.

    Ah, I thought it was about KDE itself split into 4 parts. Apparently it
    is about Konqueror.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  12. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-03, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> I want to use Konqueror the way I'm used to with 3.5.9.
    >> I've learned that it's possible, I have obviously something wrong.

    > Ah, I thought it was about KDE itself split into 4 parts. Apparently it
    > is about Konqueror.
    >
    > houghi

    You got it.

    It's also in the subject

    I need those windows because I download all torrents in one directory
    which is open in one window.

    Then I sort/move them to different directories/windows depending on their
    size. You know what I mean...

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  13. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:
    > It's also in the subject

    I hardly ever read the subject.

    > I need those windows because I download all torrents in one directory
    > which is open in one window.
    >
    > Then I sort/move them to different directories/windows depending on their
    > size. You know what I mean...

    No, I don't. I just decide where a file goes when I start the
    bittorrent.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle
    for code. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

  14. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-03, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> It's also in the subject

    > I hardly ever read the subject.
    >
    >> I need those windows because I download all torrents in one directory
    >> which is open in one window.
    >>
    >> Then I sort/move them to different directories/windows depending on their
    >> size. You know what I mean...

    > No, I don't. I just decide where a file goes when I start the
    > bittorrent.

    I only know where they belong after seeing them.
    And I delete the ones that are not worth saving.

    So it's easier to download everything in one place and sort them later.

    But that's just me.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  15. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:
    > I only know where they belong after seeing them.

    I know that before I start the download. I know upfront what I download.

    > And I delete the ones that are not worth saving.

    I delete all once I have seen them. I used to keep them, but then
    realized that I did not look at about 99% a second time. It si easier to
    just download it a second time.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle
    for code. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

  16. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    Vahis wrote:
    [...]
    >> top-bottom. And then I split the bottom left-right. So I now have a
    >> 5-way split: the top half is the largest, the bottom-left the second
    >> largest, ... the last two of the equal size. Is this a feature or
    >> what? There is something mathematical about it. Useful? I doubt it. I
    >> wonder how far we can go? I'm not interested.

    > I don't think it'll be interersting to see how far that can be taken
    > either. Four windows is good for me.

    [...]

    Of course, I think this is a BUG. I have to do in a particular sequence.
    Otherwise, the whole splitting collapses back to one frame. There is another
    way to splitting the screen to ever-smaller frames: start splitting the
    other way.

  17. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-04, Taki wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    > [...]
    >>> top-bottom. And then I split the bottom left-right. So I now have a
    >>> 5-way split: the top half is the largest, the bottom-left the second
    >>> largest, ... the last two of the equal size. Is this a feature or
    >>> what? There is something mathematical about it. Useful? I doubt it. I
    >>> wonder how far we can go? I'm not interested.

    >> I don't think it'll be interersting to see how far that can be taken
    >> either. Four windows is good for me.

    > [...]
    >
    > Of course, I think this is a BUG. I have to do in a particular sequence.
    > Otherwise, the whole splitting collapses back to one frame. There is another
    > way to splitting the screen to ever-smaller frames: start splitting the
    > other way.

    First of all, the Konq 3.5.9 way:

    1. Split the window which ever way to two halves.
    2. Go/click/activate any of the split halves.
    3. Split which ever way the active half.

    This can be repeated which ever way, always the active half gets split.

    The above is how works and how it _should_ work.

    I then tried different sequences in Konq 4.0.4 release 15.2

    1. If I split which ever way the window gets split to two halves.

    I can repeat this, which ever way, always the most recent new half gets split.

    No other halves can be split, only the most recent new one.

    If I activate the original half and split the other way around, I have
    again only two halves and can only go on from 1. again.

    Additional info:

    My KDE 4.0.4 release 15 is the one that came along with upgrading
    10.3/KDE 3.5.9. I never did anything to get this, I just found out that
    it's there.

    I now have 11.0/KDE 3.5.9 (my normal setup) and this new(er) KDE as a
    log-in option.

    Does the system not update this to KDE 4.1?
    Do I need to activate a KDE repo to do the update to 4.1?

    Does the update still keep my current 3.5.9 as it is?

    Can anybody confirm that this misfeature in Konqueror is because of
    4.0.4 and that it will work as the original if I update to 4.1?

    _And_, this is important, I still have my 3.5.9 untouched?

    Can anybody confirm that an installation from the KDE 4.1 installation
    media works the 3.5.9 way I've described?

    If not, I'll never log in to this newer KDE again.

    P.S. Do you know of an active KDE group somewhere?
    This is bloody getting serious...

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  18. Re: Konqueror in KDE 4

    On 2008-08-04, Taki wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    > [...]
    >>> top-bottom. And then I split the bottom left-right. So I now have a
    >>> 5-way split: the top half is the largest, the bottom-left the second
    >>> largest, ... the last two of the equal size. Is this a feature or
    >>> what? There is something mathematical about it. Useful? I doubt it. I
    >>> wonder how far we can go? I'm not interested.

    >> I don't think it'll be interersting to see how far that can be taken
    >> either. Four windows is good for me.

    > [...]
    >
    > Of course, I think this is a BUG. I have to do in a particular sequence.
    > Otherwise, the whole splitting collapses back to one frame. There is another
    > way to splitting the screen to ever-smaller frames: start splitting the
    > other way.

    Michal Vyskocil on the factory mailing list knew this:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160407

    The windows do split but bug hides the right hand side windows.

    Workaround described in the bug report:
    1.) Split the main view vertically
    2.) Split the rigth view horizontally
    3.) Split the left view horiznotally
    4.) Then find the three small vertical dots on the rigth side of the
    Konqueror's window and drag them to the left.

    I also saved the split-in-four view as a file manager profile, so now it
    opens the way it should (for me) every time till the bug is fixed

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com/gallery/v/helsinki/
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread