How to install KDE 4.1 from live CD? - Suse

This is a discussion on How to install KDE 4.1 from live CD? - Suse ; I booted from the KDE 4.1 live CD and attempted to install it on my hard drive to evaluate it better than running it from the CD. But, it wanted to format my whole drive!!! This is supposed to be ...

  1. How to install KDE 4.1 from live CD?

    I booted from the KDE 4.1 live CD and attempted to install it on my
    hard drive to evaluate it better than running it from the CD.
    But, it wanted to format my whole drive!!!

    This is supposed to be another desktop, not an operating system, no?
    I backed off and re-booted back into KDE 3.59

    Am I hallucinating or can one install KDE 4.1 as an alternate choice
    without erasing the whole wide world in the process?

    Thanks,

    Godzilla

  2. Re: How to install KDE 4.1 from live CD?

    Godzilla wrote:

    > I booted from the KDE 4.1 live CD and attempted to install it on my
    > hard drive to evaluate it better than running it from the CD.
    > But, it wanted to format my whole drive!!!
    >
    > This is supposed to be another desktop, not an operating system, no?

    It is a live CD. It is intended as a seprate OS. It is not just a KDE
    upgrade. If you want that, use the 1-click installer posted earlier.

    > I backed off and re-booted back into KDE 3.59
    >
    > Am I hallucinating or can one install KDE 4.1 as an alternate choice
    > without erasing the whole wide world in the process?

    Yes, you are. This is just like any other live CD ever brought out. The
    only difference is that it doesn't have GNOME or KDE 4.0 as the earlier
    11.0 ones, but KDE 4.1

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  3. Re: How to install KDE 4.1 from live CD?

    Godzilla wrote:
    > I booted from the KDE 4.1 live CD and attempted to install it on my
    > hard drive to evaluate it better than running it from the CD.
    > But, it wanted to format my whole drive!!!
    >
    > This is supposed to be another desktop, not an operating system, no?
    > I backed off and re-booted back into KDE 3.59
    >
    > Am I hallucinating or can one install KDE 4.1 as an alternate choice
    > without erasing the whole wide world in the process?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    All you need do is a KDE4 update with yast and you will have 4.1

    --
    Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

+ Reply to Thread