Re: Drive image software or RAID? - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Drive image software or RAID? - Suse ; PeeCee, ye spleeny saucy friar, all that is within thee does condemn itself for being there, ye snarled: > "Sarah Houston" wrote in message > news:Xns9AEBF1D6D8720SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142... > snip > >>> If you want to copy everything (ie an 'image') ...

  1. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    PeeCee, ye spleeny saucy friar, all that is within thee does condemn
    itself for being there, ye snarled:

    > "Sarah Houston" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9AEBF1D6D8720SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142...
    > snip
    >
    >>> If you want to copy everything (ie an 'image') then use something
    >>> like Acronis True Image to a USB external hard drive.

    >> Would the transfer rate be decent with USB?
    >>
    >> My current method gives me the EIDE transfer rate in this computer.
    >> snip

    > Sarah
    >
    > As this page shows a run of the mill Maxtor gave an average 30MB/sec
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r205...-Transfer-Rate
    > Still pretty quick.

    30MB/sec, "still pretty quick"?

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA! A garden slug would blow a 30MB/sec drive into the
    weeds.

    HD Tune: Intel Volume Benchmark

    Transfer Rate Minimum : 71.7 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 141.0 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average :
    Access Time :
    Burst Rate :
    CPU Usage :

    VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!

    Screenshot. Eat my dust, lozerz:
    http://kadaitcha.cx/upload/eatmydust.jpg

  2. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:29:32 +0545, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
    "N-Trifluoromethyl-Pyrimidine-ToluidinocarbothioylChloro-1-Butyric-Acid"
    got double
    secret probation for writing:

    >PeeCee, ye spleeny saucy friar, all that is within thee does condemn
    >itself for being there, ye snarled:
    >
    >> "Sarah Houston" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9AEBF1D6D8720SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142...
    >> snip

    >>> Would the transfer rate be decent with USB?
    >>>
    >>> My current method gives me the EIDE transfer rate in this computer.
    >>> snip

    >> Sarah
    >>
    >> As this page shows a run of the mill Maxtor gave an average 30MB/sec
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r205...-Transfer-Rate
    >> Still pretty quick.

    >30MB/sec, "still pretty quick"?
    >
    >BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA! A garden slug would blow a 30MB/sec drive into the
    >weeds.
    >
    >HD Tune: Intel Volume Benchmark
    >
    >Transfer Rate Minimum : 71.7 MB/sec
    >Transfer Rate Maximum : 141.0 MB/sec
    >Transfer Rate Average :
    >Access Time :
    >Burst Rate :
    >CPU Usage :
    >
    >VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!
    >
    >Screenshot. Eat my dust, lozerz:
    >http://kadaitcha.cx/upload/eatmydust.jpg

    Mine is 3 years old, running gen 1:
    Burst Speed 125.4
    Sustained Speed 89.7

    Course the 7500rpm drives are a bit slower.

    --

    A Number 1, Grade A, Prime USDA 'Ratz
    Accept No Substitute

  3. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    Aratzio, ye maggot-infested prater, thou dost over ween in all, ye
    pealed:

    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:29:32 +0545, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
    > "N-Trifluoromethyl-Pyrimidine-ToluidinocarbothioylChloro-1-Butyric-Acid"
    > got double
    > secret probation for writing:
    >
    >>PeeCee, ye spleeny saucy friar, all that is within thee does condemn
    >>itself for being there, ye snarled:
    >>
    >>> "Sarah Houston" wrote in message
    >>> news:Xns9AEBF1D6D8720SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142...
    >>> snip

    >>> Sarah
    >>>
    >>> As this page shows a run of the mill Maxtor gave an average 30MB/sec
    >>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r205...-Transfer-Rate
    >>> Still pretty quick.

    >>30MB/sec, "still pretty quick"?
    >>
    >>BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA! A garden slug would blow a 30MB/sec drive into
    >>the
    >>weeds.
    >>
    >>HD Tune: Intel Volume Benchmark
    >>
    >>Transfer Rate Minimum : 71.7 MB/sec
    >>Transfer Rate Maximum : 141.0 MB/sec
    >>Transfer Rate Average :
    >>Access Time :
    >>Burst Rate :
    >>CPU Usage :
    >>
    >>VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!
    >>
    >>Screenshot. Eat my dust, lozerz:
    >>http://kadaitcha.cx/upload/eatmydust.jpg

    > Mine is 3 years old, running gen 1:
    > Burst Speed 125.4
    > Sustained Speed 89.7

    Those drives can't be stock installed or the figures are in bytes per
    second, or they are SCSI.

    What are they and what app gave you the rating?

    > Course the 7500rpm drives are a bit slower.

  4. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    * N-Trifluoromethyl-Pyrimidine-ToluidinocarbothioylChloro-1-Butyric-Acid peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > HD Tune: Intel Volume Benchmark
    > Transfer Rate Minimum : 71.7 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Maximum : 141.0 MB/sec
    > Transfer Rate Average :
    > Access Time :
    > Burst Rate :
    > CPU Usage :
    >
    > VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!
    >
    > Screenshot. Eat my dust, lozerz:
    > http://kadaitcha.cx/upload/eatmydust.jpg

    Interesting. The HD tune web site's survey doesn't show /any/ drives
    reaching 100 MB/sec:

    http://www.hdtune.com/ and click on Test results

    Your HD Tune is out of date, by the way, version 3 is out.

    Here's my 64-bit machine, on IDE and SATA drives:

    # hdparm -tT /dev/hdc

    Timing cached reads: 1646 MB in 2.00 seconds = 823.61 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 118 MB in 3.03 seconds = 38.96 MB/sec

    # hdparm -tT /dev/sda

    Timing cached reads: 1056 MB in 2.00 seconds = 528.26 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 180 MB in 3.03 seconds = 59.46 MB/sec

    # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb

    Timing cached reads: 1542 MB in 2.00 seconds = 771.17 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 176 MB in 3.03 seconds = 58.13 MB/sec

    Multiple runs will vary. These are still pretty slow rates. I thought
    disk drives these days were optimally configured by default anyway.
    Maybe I thought wrong.

    C'mon, man, tell us your secret!

    Here's the reesults bypassing the page cache:

    # hdparm --direct -tT /dev/hdc

    Timing O_DIRECT cached reads: 70 MB in 2.04 seconds = 34.30 MB/sec
    Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 122 MB in 3.04 seconds = 40.18 MB/sec

    # hdparm --direct -tT /dev/sda

    Timing O_DIRECT cached reads: 250 MB in 2.01 seconds = 124.23 MB/sec
    Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 178 MB in 3.01 seconds = 59.18 MB/sec

    # hdparm --direct -tT /dev/sdb

    Timing O_DIRECT cached reads: 390 MB in 2.01 seconds = 194.43 MB/sec
    Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 178 MB in 3.04 seconds = 58.63 MB/sec

    --
    If you find a solution and become attached to it, the solution may become
    your next problem.

  5. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    Linonut, ye gnarling devil's dam, that were to enlard thy fat already
    pride, ye fulminated:

    >* N-Trifluoromethyl-Pyrimidine-ToluidinocarbothioylChloro-1-Butyric-Acid
    >peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> HD Tune: Intel Volume Benchmark
    >> Transfer Rate Minimum : 71.7 MB/sec
    >> Transfer Rate Maximum : 141.0 MB/sec
    >> Transfer Rate Average :
    >> Access Time :
    >> Burst Rate :
    >> CPU Usage :
    >>
    >> VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!
    >>
    >> Screenshot. Eat my dust, lozerz:
    >> http://kadaitcha.cx/upload/eatmydust.jpg

    > Interesting. The HD tune web site's survey doesn't show /any/ drives
    > reaching 100 MB/sec:
    >
    > http://www.hdtune.com/ and click on Test results

    Crikey, you're right, they don't. I might run the full test and send the
    results in.

    > Your HD Tune is out of date, by the way, version 3 is out.
    >
    > Here's my 64-bit machine, on IDE and SATA drives:
    >
    > # hdparm -tT /dev/hdc
    >
    > Timing cached reads: 1646 MB in 2.00 seconds = 823.61 MB/sec
    > Timing buffered disk reads: 118 MB in 3.03 seconds = 38.96 MB/sec
    >
    > # hdparm -tT /dev/sda
    >
    > Timing cached reads: 1056 MB in 2.00 seconds = 528.26 MB/sec
    > Timing buffered disk reads: 180 MB in 3.03 seconds = 59.46 MB/sec
    >
    > # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
    >
    > Timing cached reads: 1542 MB in 2.00 seconds = 771.17 MB/sec
    > Timing buffered disk reads: 176 MB in 3.03 seconds = 58.13 MB/sec
    >
    > Multiple runs will vary. These are still pretty slow rates. I thought
    > disk drives these days were optimally configured by default anyway.
    > Maybe I thought wrong.
    >
    > C'mon, man, tell us your secret!

    Intel ICH9 RAID10 SATA2.

    59.18 MB/sec... ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssllllllllllooooowww wwwwwww.

    > # hdparm --direct -tT /dev/sdb
    >
    > Timing O_DIRECT cached reads: 390 MB in 2.01 seconds = 194.43 MB/sec
    > Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 178 MB in 3.04 seconds = 58.63 MB/sec
    >
    > --
    > If you find a solution and become attached to it, the solution may become
    > your next problem.

  6. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On 2008-08-01, N-Trifluoromethyl-Pyrimidine-ToluidinocarbothioylChloro-1-Butyric-Acid wrote:
    > PeeCee, ye spleeny saucy friar, all that is within thee does condemn
    > itself for being there, ye snarled:
    >
    >> "Sarah Houston" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9AEBF1D6D8720SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142...
    >> snip

    >>> Would the transfer rate be decent with USB?
    >>>
    >>> My current method gives me the EIDE transfer rate in this computer.
    >>> snip

    >> Sarah
    >>
    >> As this page shows a run of the mill Maxtor gave an average 30MB/sec
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r205...-Transfer-Rate
    >> Still pretty quick.

    > 30MB/sec, "still pretty quick"?

    I think I still saw the letters U.S.B. up there somehere.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA! A garden slug would blow a 30MB/sec drive into the
    > weeds.

    [deletia]

    I guess it all boils down to whether not you are out to accomplish
    something or just have a dick waving contest...

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  7. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    * N-Methylallyl-Octanethiol-Tributyl2-2-Phenyl-2-Chloroplatinic-Acid peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I must be out to accomplish someothing. Being dickless, I have no dick to
    > wave.

    Ah, it's "virtual"!

    --
    Both models are identical in performance, functional operation, and
    interface circuit details. The two models, however, are not compatible

  8. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > I guess it all boils down to whether not you are out to accomplish
    > something or just have a dick waving contest...

    This is not the place to cross 'swords'

  9. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:19:58 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, 2CA001
    bloviated:

    >JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> I guess it all boils down to whether not you are out to accomplish
    >> something or just have a dick waving contest...

    >This is not the place to cross 'swords'

    The **** you say.

  10. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:04:26 GMT, Aratzio wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:19:58 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, 2CA001
    > bloviated:
    >
    >>JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess it all boils down to whether not you are out to accomplish
    >>> something or just have a dick waving contest...

    >>This is not the place to cross 'swords'

    > The **** you say.

    The Linux nuts have swords.
    Everyone else has an AK47.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:20:11 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, "Moshe
    Goldfarb." bloviated:

    >On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:04:26 GMT, Aratzio wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:19:58 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, 2CA001
    >> bloviated:

    >>>This is not the place to cross 'swords'

    >> The **** you say.

    >The Linux nuts have swords.
    >Everyone else has an AK47.

    I have tactical nukes.

  12. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On 2008-08-01, 2CA001 wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> I guess it all boils down to whether not you are out to accomplish
    >> something or just have a dick waving contest...

    > This is not the place to cross 'swords'

    Nevermind "swords" I have advanced technology.

    --
    Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their |||
    choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider. / | \

  13. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On 2008-08-01, Aratzio wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:20:11 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, "Moshe
    > Goldfarb." bloviated:
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:04:26 GMT, Aratzio wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:19:58 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, 2CA001
    >>> bloviated:

    >>> The **** you say.

    >>The Linux nuts have swords.
    >>Everyone else has an AK47.

    > I have tactical nukes.

    It's not the weapon, it's how well you know how to use it.

    It helps if you at least vaguely know what's what.

    --
    Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their |||
    choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider. / | \

  14. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:26:16 GMT, Aratzio wrote:

    > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:20:11 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, "Moshe
    > Goldfarb." bloviated:
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:04:26 GMT, Aratzio wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:19:58 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, 2CA001
    >>> bloviated:

    >>> The **** you say.

    >>The Linux nuts have swords.
    >>Everyone else has an AK47.

    > I have tactical nukes.

    You *win*...

    Hopefully they don't run Linux though because then you will probably lose
    because you won't be able to find a match to light the fuses!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:41:31 -0500, in alt.usenet.kooks, JEDIDIAH
    bloviated:

    >On 2008-08-01, Aratzio wrote:
    >> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:20:11 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, "Moshe
    >> Goldfarb." bloviated:

    >>>The Linux nuts have swords.
    >>>Everyone else has an AK47.

    >> I have tactical nukes.

    >It's not the weapon, it's how well you know how to use it.
    >
    >It helps if you at least vaguely know what's what.

    What would I want to know what?

    I know how and where.

  16. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On 2008-08-01, Aratzio wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:41:31 -0500, in alt.usenet.kooks, JEDIDIAH
    > bloviated:
    >
    >>On 2008-08-01, Aratzio wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:20:11 -0400, in alt.usenet.kooks, "Moshe
    >>> Goldfarb." bloviated:

    >>> I have tactical nukes.

    >>It's not the weapon, it's how well you know how to use it.
    >>
    >>It helps if you at least vaguely know what's what.

    > What would I want to know what?
    >
    > I know how and where.

    A am perfectly confident that you wouldn't know what to do with
    any of the 3.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

  17. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:25:37 -0500, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
    JEDIDIAH got double secret probation for writing:

    >On 2008-08-01, Aratzio wrote:
    >> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:41:31 -0500, in alt.usenet.kooks, JEDIDIAH
    >> bloviated:

    >>>It's not the weapon, it's how well you know how to use it.
    >>>
    >>>It helps if you at least vaguely know what's what.

    >> What would I want to know what?
    >>
    >> I know how and where.

    >A am perfectly confident that you wouldn't know what to do with
    >any of the 3.

    I applaud your ludicrous self applied confidence.

    I am inside the final IP, the TTR is 0:53 and the pickle is hot since
    this will be a manual release. So if my offset aim point is 11,238 ft
    north and -4,327 East, winds are causing a 3 degree yaw and the
    crosshairs are not tracking the offset what would be the appropriate
    course of action?

    1. Reboot the AOU?
    2. Reload the aimpoints?
    3. Shutdown the doppler and use a manual wind update?
    4. Alter the BDU data?
    5. Abort?

    --

    A Number 1, Grade A, Prime USDA 'Ratz
    Accept No Substitute

  18. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On 2008-08-02, Aratzio wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:25:37 -0500, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
    > JEDIDIAH got double secret probation for writing:
    >
    >>On 2008-08-01, Aratzio wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:41:31 -0500, in alt.usenet.kooks, JEDIDIAH
    >>> bloviated:

    >>> What would I want to know what?
    >>>
    >>> I know how and where.

    >>A am perfectly confident that you wouldn't know what to do with
    >>any of the 3.

    > I applaud your ludicrous self applied confidence.

    It's hardly ludicrous: even if that isn't just something you
    just picked up somewhere as light reading material.

    There's plenty of stuff from the GPO that will make it real
    easy to appear to be something you're not.

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

  19. Re: Drive image software or RAID?

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 22:14:54 -0500, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
    JEDIDIAH got double secret probation for writing:

    >On 2008-08-02, Aratzio wrote:
    >> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:25:37 -0500, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
    >> JEDIDIAH got double secret probation for writing:

    >>>A am perfectly confident that you wouldn't know what to do with
    >>>any of the 3.

    >> I applaud your ludicrous self applied confidence.

    >It's hardly ludicrous: even if that isn't just something you
    >just picked up somewhere as light reading material.
    >
    >There's plenty of stuff from the GPO that will make it real
    >easy to appear to be something you're not.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Couldn't google the answer so you just flail away with your "hey, look
    over there, a chicken" deflection.

    Does that work for you:
    a). all of the time?
    b). Some of the time?
    c). not at all and causes people to laugh at you?

    So how is your confidence now, cupcake?

    >> I am inside the final IP, the TTR is 0:53 and the pickle is hot since
    >> this will be a manual release. So if my offset aim point is 11,238 ft
    >> north and -4,327 East, winds are causing a 3 degree yaw and the
    >> crosshairs are not tracking the offset what would be the appropriate
    >> course of action?
    >>
    >> 1. Reboot the AOU?
    >> 2. Reload the aimpoints?
    >> 3. Shutdown the doppler and use a manual wind update?
    >> 4. Alter the BDU data?
    >> 5. Abort?

    Trick question, it is a nuke, who ****ing cares if you miss by a few
    hundred feet.