Two dead machines - Suse

This is a discussion on Two dead machines - Suse ; I am having lots of problems. 1) My quad core Gateway PC running OpenSUSE 10.3 keeps rebooting every hour or so. There is nothing in the logs that I can find. I ran memtest86, and it has passed so far. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Two dead machines

  1. Two dead machines

    I am having lots of problems.

    1) My quad core Gateway PC running OpenSUSE 10.3 keeps rebooting every
    hour or so. There is nothing in the logs that I can find. I ran
    memtest86, and it has passed so far. Any suggestions?

    2) My other dual Opteron machine running 10.3 (that dual boots to
    Windows XP) will not start X, and so never gets to runlevel 5. That
    seems to be the only error in /var/log/messages during startup. The X
    server dies. I tried running sax2 as root. It cannot start its server,
    and there is no /var/log/Sax2.log file.
    I tried replacing xorg.conf with the default one, with no better
    results.

    Help please.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: Two dead machines


    > 2) My other dual Opteron machine running 10.3 (that dual boots to
    > Windows XP) will not start X, and so never gets to runlevel 5. That
    > seems to be the only error in /var/log/messages during startup. The X
    > server dies. I tried running sax2 as root. It cannot start its server,
    > and there is no /var/log/Sax2.log file.
    > I tried replacing xorg.conf with the default one, with no better
    > results.


    More on this problem. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 XT card.
    If I do xinit, I get the following errors:
    AIGLX error: r300 reports no extensions (/usr/lib64/r300_dri.so
    undefined symbol: __driDriverExtensions)
    AIGLX: Reverting to software rendering
    AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so failed

    There is no swrast_dri.so file there. There is a radeon_dri.so file.
    How do I get X11 to use it?

    This used to work. I have changed nothing. What did the updates do to
    me? How do I get the right files?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  3. Re: Two dead machines

    "jamesromeongmail.com" writes:

    >I am having lots of problems.


    >1) My quad core Gateway PC running OpenSUSE 10.3 keeps rebooting every
    >hour or so. There is nothing in the logs that I can find. I ran
    >memtest86, and it has passed so far. Any suggestions?


    >2) My other dual Opteron machine running 10.3 (that dual boots to
    >Windows XP) will not start X, and so never gets to runlevel 5. That


    Well, then boot in run level 3. Then run startx and error messages will be
    put up on screen1 or do
    startx >/tmp/Xerr 2>&1
    and look into /tmp/Xerr for error messages.


    >seems to be the only error in /var/log/messages during startup. The X
    >server dies. I tried running sax2 as root. It cannot start its server,
    >and there is no /var/log/Sax2.log file.
    >I tried replacing xorg.conf with the default one, with no better
    >results.




  4. Re: Two dead machines

    On Jul 31, 12:30*pm, Unruh wrote:

    >
    > Well, then boot in run level 3. Then run startx and error messages will be
    > put up on screen1 or do
    > startx >/tmp/Xerr 2>&1
    > and look into /tmp/Xerr for error messages.
    >



    I get the same messages I posted in the second message in this thread.

  5. Re: Two dead machines

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:48:07 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > I am having lots of problems.
    >
    > 1) My quad core Gateway PC running OpenSUSE 10.3 keeps rebooting every
    > hour or so. There is nothing in the logs that I can find. I ran
    > memtest86, and it has passed so far. Any suggestions?


    I had a similar problem with my desktop PC - a new power supply fixed the
    problem for me.

    HTH

    Paul

  6. Re: Two dead machines

    Hi James

    Power supply related? Will tend to be load dependent and memtest86
    probably doesnt draw a lot of current or change it much.

    First step is to have a look at the monitor voltages if your BIOS has
    it. If low or high suspect the PSU. Try another PSU is also a good step.
    I actually repaired some old P3/700's and a P4/3G MB that suffered from
    the ROC dried out/leaky capacitor issue. Look for bulges or holes in the
    top of electrolytic caps. The failure mode was, you guessed it,
    rebooting every now and then..

    If it intermittant in nature try flexing cables/components while the
    thing is running memtest or just sitting in a static state like a BIOS
    screen.

    Obviously as far as repairing a MB is concerned YMMV!

    Cheers Bob

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > I am having lots of problems.
    >
    > 1) My quad core Gateway PC running OpenSUSE 10.3 keeps rebooting every
    > hour or so. There is nothing in the logs that I can find. I ran
    > memtest86, and it has passed so far. Any suggestions?


  7. Re: Two dead machines

    On Jul 31, 9:20*pm, Bob Bob wrote:
    > Hi James
    >
    > Power supply related? Will tend to be load dependent and memtest86
    > probably doesnt draw a lot of current or change it much.
    >
    > First step is to have a look at the monitor voltages if your BIOS has
    > it. If low or high suspect the PSU. Try another PSU is also a good step.
    > I actually repaired some old P3/700's and a P4/3G MB that suffered from
    > the ROC dried out/leaky capacitor issue. Look for bulges or holes in the
    > top of electrolytic caps. The failure mode was, you guessed it,
    > rebooting every now and then..
    >
    > If it intermittant in nature try flexing cables/components while the
    > thing is running memtest or just sitting in a static state like a BIOS
    > screen.
    >
    > Obviously as far as repairing a MB is concerned YMMV!
    >
    > Cheers Bob
    >
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > I am having lots of problems.

    >
    > > 1) My quad core Gateway PC running OpenSUSE 10.3 keeps rebooting every
    > > hour or so. There is nothing in the logs that I can find. I ran
    > > memtest86, and it has passed so far. Any suggestions?


    Well, I ran memtest86 twice. Then rebooted. So far it has stayed up
    for a day. Somehow the test must have bonded the chip connectors to
    their sockets better. So I think it is definitely memory. When I get
    a chance, I will reseat it all.

    But I still need help with my dead X-server please.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  8. Re: Two dead machines

    Hi James

    Keep in mind that memtest is a pretty constant power load. You may still
    find you have power problems when your CPU usage jumps up and down and
    runs at an average higher level. Of course if it works okay ignore what
    I just said!

    I cant throw a lot of light on your xorg problem. The undefined symbol
    reeks of a version/library issue though. Like as if the update was
    flawed or only partial.

    If you suspect an update failure YaST might tell you about missing
    dependencies and version mismatches. Having a brief Google around I note
    others making similar undefined synbols comments with swrast_dri.so so
    it might be worthwhile reading up on it. Ubuntu and Fedora were
    mentioned so it might be a more widespread problem.

    /etc/X11/xorg.conf contains the information about what drivers etc to
    load. There is copious help info available on this. I am sorry but I'd
    have to refresh my brain with a lot before I could give you any useful
    answers.

    Apologies for the limited use answer!

    Cheers Bob

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > But I still need help with my dead X-server please.


  9. Re: Two dead machines

    http://forums.opensuse.org/install-b...-update-2.html

    Discusses this bug. Upgrading Mesa by doing
    zypper sa http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.0/
    Xorg-11.0
    zypper in Mesa

    fixed this. There is no excuse for such sloppy package management on
    the part of OpenSUSE.

+ Reply to Thread