CCSM and Window Decorator - Suse

This is a discussion on CCSM and Window Decorator - Suse ; For some reason the Command field in Window Decorations (in CCSM) keep getting changed each time I logout. I need to have the "--opacity 1.0" specified with the kde-window-decoration command. Otherwise, the unfocused windows have their frames invisible and corrupted. ...

  1. CCSM and Window Decorator

    For some reason the Command field in Window Decorations (in CCSM) keep
    getting changed each time I logout.

    I need to have the "--opacity 1.0" specified with the kde-window-decoration
    command. Otherwise, the unfocused windows have their frames invisible and
    corrupted. When I add the opacity switch and restart the window manager via
    fusion icon, everything works fine.

    So, anyone know what is making changes to my compiz config when I logout?

    Thanks,

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:
    > For some reason the Command field in Window Decorations (in CCSM) keep
    > getting changed each time I logout.
    >
    > I need to have the "--opacity 1.0" specified with the kde-window-decoration
    > command. Otherwise, the unfocused windows have their frames invisible and
    > corrupted. When I add the opacity switch and restart the window manager via
    > fusion icon, everything works fine.
    >
    > So, anyone know what is making changes to my compiz config when I logout?

    Try adding "ccp" (without quotes) to the compiz command line.

  3. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >> For some reason the Command field in Window Decorations (in CCSM) keep
    >> getting changed each time I logout.
    >>
    >> I need to have the "--opacity 1.0" specified with the
    >> kde-window-decoration command. Otherwise, the unfocused windows have
    >> their frames invisible and corrupted. When I add the opacity switch and
    >> restart the window manager via fusion icon, everything works fine.
    >>
    >> So, anyone know what is making changes to my compiz config when I logout?

    > Try adding "ccp" (without quotes) to the compiz command line.

    Where is the compiz command line? I think I know what you mean, because I
    used to execute compiz manually. However, I am using the fusion-icon so
    it's kind of automatic now.

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:

    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>> For some reason the Command field in Window Decorations (in CCSM) keep
    >>> getting changed each time I logout.
    >>>
    >>> I need to have the "--opacity 1.0" specified with the
    >>> kde-window-decoration command. Otherwise, the unfocused windows have
    >>> their frames invisible and corrupted. When I add the opacity switch and
    >>> restart the window manager via fusion icon, everything works fine.
    >>>
    >>> So, anyone know what is making changes to my compiz config when I
    >>> logout?

    >> Try adding "ccp" (without quotes) to the compiz command line.

    > Where is the compiz command line? I think I know what you mean, because I
    > used to execute compiz manually. However, I am using the fusion-icon so
    > it's kind of automatic now.

    Perhaps its the fusion-icon that is giving me headaches. Here is what the
    fusion-icon spit into .xsession-errors when I quit the fusion-icon:

    Detected Session: kde
    * Searching for installed applications...
    * NVIDIA on Xorg detected, exporting: __GL_YIELD=NOTHING
    * Using the GTK Interface
    * Decorator "kde-window-decorator --opacity 1.0 --replace" is invalid.
    * Setting decorator to KDE Window Decorator
    ("kde-window-decorator --replace")

    Looks like they don't properly parse that field.

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    >>> Try adding "ccp" (without quotes) to the compiz command line.

    >> Where is the compiz command line? I think I know what you mean, because I
    >> used to execute compiz manually. However, I am using the fusion-icon so
    >> it's kind of automatic now.

    > Perhaps its the fusion-icon that is giving me headaches. Here is what the
    > fusion-icon spit into .xsession-errors when I quit the fusion-icon:
    >
    > Detected Session: kde
    > * Searching for installed applications...
    > * NVIDIA on Xorg detected, exporting: __GL_YIELD=NOTHING
    > * Using the GTK Interface
    > * Decorator "kde-window-decorator --opacity 1.0 --replace" is invalid.
    > * Setting decorator to KDE Window Decorator
    > ("kde-window-decorator --replace")
    >
    > Looks like they don't properly parse that field.

    I remember having problems with fusion-icon too. I solved this by
    creating a new "Compiz Fusion" session for KDM (that way, "Compiz
    Fusion" shows up as a choice when you login). Not sure if this applies
    to openSUSE 11, but here the session files are in the
    /usr/share/xsessions/ directory. Create a file there called
    "compiz.desktop" that contains the following:

    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=XSession
    Name=Compiz Fusion
    Exec=/usr/local/bin/compiz.session
    Icon=
    Type=Application

    Then create a file "/usr/local/bin/compiz.session" that contains:

    #! /bin/sh
    export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
    export KDEWM=/usr/local/bin/compiz.wrapper
    exec startkde

    and make it executable (chmod +x /usr/local/bin/compiz.session). Omit
    the "export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1" if you're using Xgl instead of
    AIGLX. Next, create the file "/usr/local/bin/compiz.wrapper" with the
    following contents:

    #! /bin/sh
    exec /usr/bin/compiz --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp
    --indirect-rendering

    (The "--indirect-rendering" goes on the same line, my newsreader just
    wraps it.) Make it executable (chmod +x /usr/local/bin/compiz.wrapper).
    Again, omit "--indirect-rendering" if you're on Xgl and not on AIGLX.
    Adapt the rest of the command line as needed.

    As you see, there's no "--replace" option since that way you're telling
    KDE to use compiz as window manager instead of using kwin first then
    replacing it with compiz.

    Now when you logout, you will see "Compiz Fusion" as a new choice in the
    "Session" menu of KDM. Select that and you're good to go No
    fusion-icon is needed.

  6. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >> Chris wrote:

    >>> Where is the compiz command line? I think I know what you mean, because
    >>> I used to execute compiz manually. However, I am using the fusion-icon
    >>> so it's kind of automatic now.

    >> Perhaps its the fusion-icon that is giving me headaches. Here is what the
    >> fusion-icon spit into .xsession-errors when I quit the fusion-icon:
    >>
    >> Detected Session: kde
    >> * Searching for installed applications...
    >> * NVIDIA on Xorg detected, exporting: __GL_YIELD=NOTHING
    >> * Using the GTK Interface
    >> * Decorator "kde-window-decorator --opacity 1.0 --replace" is invalid.
    >> * Setting decorator to KDE Window Decorator
    >> ("kde-window-decorator --replace")
    >>
    >> Looks like they don't properly parse that field.

    > I remember having problems with fusion-icon too. I solved this by
    > creating a new "Compiz Fusion" session for KDM (that way, "Compiz
    > Fusion" shows up as a choice when you login). Not sure if this applies
    > to openSUSE 11, but here the session files are in the
    > /usr/share/xsessions/ directory. Create a file there called
    > "compiz.desktop" that contains the following:
    >
    > [Desktop Entry]
    > Encoding=UTF-8
    > Type=XSession
    > Name=Compiz Fusion
    > Exec=/usr/local/bin/compiz.session
    > Icon=
    > Type=Application
    >
    > Then create a file "/usr/local/bin/compiz.session" that contains:
    >
    > #! /bin/sh
    > export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
    > export KDEWM=/usr/local/bin/compiz.wrapper
    > exec startkde
    >
    > and make it executable (chmod +x /usr/local/bin/compiz.session). Omit
    > the "export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1" if you're using Xgl instead of
    > AIGLX. Next, create the file "/usr/local/bin/compiz.wrapper" with the
    > following contents:
    >
    > #! /bin/sh
    > exec /usr/bin/compiz --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp
    > --indirect-rendering
    >
    > (The "--indirect-rendering" goes on the same line, my newsreader just
    > wraps it.) Make it executable (chmod +x /usr/local/bin/compiz.wrapper).
    > Again, omit "--indirect-rendering" if you're on Xgl and not on AIGLX.
    > Adapt the rest of the command line as needed.
    >
    > As you see, there's no "--replace" option since that way you're telling
    > KDE to use compiz as window manager instead of using kwin first then
    > replacing it with compiz.
    >
    > Now when you logout, you will see "Compiz Fusion" as a new choice in the
    > "Session" menu of KDM. Select that and you're good to go No
    > fusion-icon is needed.

    Thank you! That worked perfectly. I always wondered if there was a way to
    get KDE to start compiz instead of starting kwin then compiz. It seems like
    I log in much faster now.

    --
    Chris

  7. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:
    > Thank you! That worked perfectly. I always wondered if there was a way to
    > get KDE to start compiz instead of starting kwin then compiz. It seems like
    > I log in much faster now.

    Depends on the system. kwin needs a bit of time to load. So avoiding
    the loading of kwin completely can be noticeable on non-so-fast systems.

  8. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >> Thank you! That worked perfectly. I always wondered if there was a way to
    >> get KDE to start compiz instead of starting kwin then compiz. It seems
    >> like I log in much faster now.

    > Depends on the system. kwin needs a bit of time to load. So avoiding
    > the loading of kwin completely can be noticeable on non-so-fast systems.

    I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 3000+ with 2GB RAM The delay I mostly saw was
    seeing the desktop, screen flickers, compiz starts. Now I just login and
    compiz starts.

    --
    Chris

  9. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>> Thank you! That worked perfectly. I always wondered if there was a way to
    >>> get KDE to start compiz instead of starting kwin then compiz. It seems
    >>> like I log in much faster now.

    >> Depends on the system. kwin needs a bit of time to load. So avoiding
    >> the loading of kwin completely can be noticeable on non-so-fast systems.

    > I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 3000+ with 2GB RAM The delay I mostly saw was
    > seeing the desktop, screen flickers, compiz starts. Now I just login and
    > compiz starts.

    Btw, I forgot to mention another advantage of this: the geeky compiz
    fusion splashscreen can now be used without ugly side-effects (by
    disabling KDE's splash and enabling compiz'es splash). *If* you prefer
    the compiz splash, that is. The splash can be tested with CTRL+F11 once
    the splash plugin is enabled without needing to logout.

  10. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    >>> Depends on the system. kwin needs a bit of time to load. So avoiding
    >>> the loading of kwin completely can be noticeable on non-so-fast systems.

    >> I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 3000+ with 2GB RAM The delay I mostly saw
    >> was seeing the desktop, screen flickers, compiz starts. Now I just login
    >> and compiz starts.

    > Btw, I forgot to mention another advantage of this: the geeky compiz
    > fusion splashscreen can now be used without ugly side-effects (by
    > disabling KDE's splash and enabling compiz'es splash). *If* you prefer
    > the compiz splash, that is. The splash can be tested with CTRL+F11 once
    > the splash plugin is enabled without needing to logout.

    Cool, thanks.

    One thing I had to do was add:

    killall -9 kde-window-decorator

    in compiz.wrapper before the call to exec compiz.

    I found that if I logged out and logged back in there would be multiple
    kde-window-decorators (one for each attempt).

    So far that has done the trick.

    My only problem now is that when I log in from a hard reboot (startup this
    morning), kde-window-decorator is executed after
    my "compiz-decorator --opacity 1.0 --replace" line in my Default.ini.

    I'm trying to figure out where else the compiz-decorator is being called. Or
    do you know?

    --
    Chris

  11. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:

    > My only problem now is that when I log in from a hard reboot (startup this
    > morning), kde-window-decorator is executed after
    > my "compiz-decorator --opacity 1.0 --replace" line in my Default.ini.
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out where else the compiz-decorator is being called.
    > Or do you know?

    I think when KDE restored the previous session, it was starting
    kde-window-decorator, but without the options. All I did was add
    kde-window-decorator to the Personal Settings->KDE Componenets->Session
    Manager->"Applications to be excluded from sessions". After a few tests, it
    appears that only the right kde-window-decorator is being started.

    Btw, have you tried the Window Manager setting in the Session Manager?
    Compiz is listed as an option.

    --
    Chris

  12. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:

    >>> I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 3000+ with 2GB RAM The delay I mostly saw
    >>> was seeing the desktop, screen flickers, compiz starts. Now I just login
    >>> and compiz starts.

    >> Btw, I forgot to mention another advantage of this: the geeky compiz
    >> fusion splashscreen can now be used without ugly side-effects (by
    >> disabling KDE's splash and enabling compiz'es splash). *If* you prefer
    >> the compiz splash, that is. The splash can be tested with CTRL+F11 once
    >> the splash plugin is enabled without needing to logout.

    > Cool, thanks.
    >
    > One thing I had to do was add:
    >
    > killall -9 kde-window-decorator
    >
    > in compiz.wrapper before the call to exec compiz.

    Compiz kills the decorator automatically on exit (a "ps U myusername" as
    root shows nothing after logging out). At least here. I
    guess if you don't let compiz start the decorator automatically but
    rather you do it manually from somewhere else, this can happen. In
    ccsm, I enabled the Window Decoration plugin and there's an entry field
    where you can put the command that starts the decorator. In your case,
    just write "kde-window-decorator" in there (I use emerald). There are
    sliders for opacity control and the like too so you shouldn't have to
    use any command line arguments at all for the decorator.

  13. Re: CCSM and Window Decorator

    Chris wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> My only problem now is that when I log in from a hard reboot (startup this
    >> morning), kde-window-decorator is executed after
    >> my "compiz-decorator --opacity 1.0 --replace" line in my Default.ini.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to figure out where else the compiz-decorator is being called.
    >> Or do you know?

    > I think when KDE restored the previous session, it was starting
    > kde-window-decorator, but without the options. All I did was add
    > kde-window-decorator to the Personal Settings->KDE Componenets->Session
    > Manager->"Applications to be excluded from sessions". After a few tests, it
    > appears that only the right kde-window-decorator is being started.

    That's not the case here.

    > Btw, have you tried the Window Manager setting in the Session Manager?
    > Compiz is listed as an option.

    That way I don't get to choose between compiz and kwin in the KDM login.
    And it might not even work with AIGLX since compiz defaults to direct
    rendering (Xgl). That's why I created a new session for compiz where
    everything is self-contained with no modifications needed anywhere else.

+ Reply to Thread