Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work - Suse ; Can you help please? Operating system: Suse 11.0 When I want to open by clicking the TV screen on top of the page (BEKIJK ITEM)at: http://www.novatv.nl/index.cfm?ln=nl...ortage_id=6230 a Dutch news site. Mozilla crashes. The VLC screen gets up for a second ...

  1. Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work

    Can you help please?

    Operating system: Suse 11.0
    When I want to open by clicking the TV screen on top of the page
    (BEKIJK ITEM)at:
    http://www.novatv.nl/index.cfm?ln=nl...ortage_id=6230
    a Dutch news site. Mozilla crashes. The VLC screen gets up for a second and
    crashes too.

    With Konqueror the page gets up, but no video to bee seen.

    If I want to look at that video with Kafeinne or Totem, it cannot handle it.
    Kaffeine found no plugin for this source.

    Thanks!
    --
    Herman

  2. Re: Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work

    Herman wrote:

    > Can you help please?
    >
    > Operating system: Suse 11.0
    > When I want to open by clicking the TV screen on top of the page
    > (BEKIJK ITEM)at:

    http://www.novatv.nl/index.cfm?ln=nl...ortage_id=6230
    > a Dutch news site. Mozilla crashes. The VLC screen gets up for a second
    > and crashes too.
    >
    > With Konqueror the page gets up, but no video to bee seen.
    >
    > If I want to look at that video with Kafeinne or Totem, it cannot handle
    > it. Kaffeine found no plugin for this source.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I sometimes run into problems with videos - some formats require a plugin
    for firefox. If I download the video (using the addon downloadhelper), I
    can sometimes run it in Kaffeine off line even when it would not do it live
    or from stored videos on the page.

    Yesterday, I sent an email to the US Arizona Senate site for live public
    viewing of proceedings. There videos are all in a format specific to
    Windows. I specifically told them that using a proprietary format was
    discriminatory and they had to switch to a non-proprietary format such as
    flash to properly serve the public. No reply from them yet.

    I suggest that everyone who can't do something on the net because of their
    proprietary restrictions complain. If they get enough complaints they will
    have to change!

    John

  3. Re: Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work

    Herman wrote:
    > Can you help please?
    >
    > Operating system: Suse 11.0
    > When I want to open by clicking the TV screen on top of the page
    > (BEKIJK ITEM)at:
    > http://www.novatv.nl/index.cfm?ln=nl...ortage_id=6230
    > a Dutch news site. Mozilla crashes. The VLC screen gets up for a second and
    > crashes too.

    No problem here. They are idiots, because they say 'opslaan' instead of
    'afspelen' but I can see it perfectly in FF.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

  4. Re: Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work

    Install the mplayer plugin : http://tinyurl.com/5on28s
    Also the wind32-codecs : http://preview.tinyurl.com/6s5mys

    > Yesterday, I sent an email to the US Arizona Senate site for live public
    > viewing of proceedings. There videos are all in a format specific to
    > Windows. I specifically told them that using a proprietary format was
    > discriminatory and they had to switch to a non-proprietary format such as
    > flash to properly serve the public. No reply from them yet.

    I thought that flash was proprietary. The fact that the specifications
    are available does not realy change that.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
    FOSS says, "Are you coming, or what?"

  5. Re: Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work

    houghi wrote:

    > John Bowling wrote:
    >> I sometimes run into problems with videos - some formats require a plugin
    >> for firefox. If I download the video (using the addon downloadhelper), I
    >> can sometimes run it in Kaffeine off line even when it would not do it
    >> live or from stored videos on the page.

    > Install the mplayer plugin : http://tinyurl.com/5on28s
    > Also the wind32-codecs : http://preview.tinyurl.com/6s5mys
    >
    >> Yesterday, I sent an email to the US Arizona Senate site for live public
    >> viewing of proceedings. There videos are all in a format specific to
    >> Windows. I specifically told them that using a proprietary format was
    >> discriminatory and they had to switch to a non-proprietary format such as
    >> flash to properly serve the public. No reply from them yet.

    > I thought that flash was proprietary. The fact that the specifications
    > are available does not realy change that.
    >
    > houghi

    Thank you all for your kind help...!

    It works excellent now. Also the tip of getting into the source and get
    there the embedded adress http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=7580285 ) was
    great too!
    --
    Herman

  6. Re: Suse 11.0: VLC screen crashes with Mozilla 3.0-1.2 Konqueror does not work

    John Bowling wrote:

    > Herman wrote:
    >
    >> Can you help please?
    >>
    >> Operating system: Suse 11.0
    >> When I want to open by clicking the TV screen on top of the page
    >> (BEKIJK ITEM)at:

    http://www.novatv.nl/index.cfm?ln=nl...ortage_id=6230
    >> a Dutch news site. Mozilla crashes. The VLC screen gets up for a second
    >> and crashes too.
    >>
    >> With Konqueror the page gets up, but no video to bee seen.
    >>
    >> If I want to look at that video with Kafeinne or Totem, it cannot handle
    >> it. Kaffeine found no plugin for this source.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > I sometimes run into problems with videos - some formats require a plugin
    > for firefox. If I download the video (using the addon downloadhelper), I
    > can sometimes run it in Kaffeine off line even when it would not do it
    > live or from stored videos on the page.
    >
    > Yesterday, I sent an email to the US Arizona Senate site for live public
    > viewing of proceedings. There videos are all in a format specific to
    > Windows. I specifically told them that using a proprietary format was
    > discriminatory and they had to switch to a non-proprietary format such as
    > flash to properly serve the public. No reply from them yet.
    >
    > I suggest that everyone who can't do something on the net because of their
    > proprietary restrictions complain. If they get enough complaints they
    > will have to change!
    >
    > John

    Still no responce on the above, but I found another area - on Dell. They
    have a video chat process that was created for them by SiteSpeed, which
    only is accessible (requires a client software download) on Windows or Mac.

    Given that SiteSpeed's primary function is tools and methodology for web
    site creaters, I find it totally irresponsible that they DO NOT include
    Linux in ANY of their services. And I fully intend for the caps to be
    yelling!

    It is also something that Dell can use to point to lack of use of that video
    chat process by Linux users and claim there is no interest!

+ Reply to Thread