KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0 - Suse ; http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/ houghi -- Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

  1. KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/


    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit
    of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein

  2. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    houghi wrote:

    >

    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/
    >
    >
    > houghi


    I have seen the announcement, but how many have tried it after all of
    the negative feedback about KDE 4.0 ?

    Godzilla

  3. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    Godzilla wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >>

    >

    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/
    >>
    >>
    >> houghi

    >
    > I have seen the announcement, but how many have tried it after all of
    > the negative feedback about KDE 4.0 ?
    >
    > Godzilla


    I'm trying it now...seems snappier than the previous RC version. I haven't
    dove into it completely yet but so far it's been nice. One thing I need to
    know though, how do you get the friggin' panel to auto hide or is not
    possible?

    Zach

  4. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    Godzilla wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    > http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/
    >>
    >> houghi

    >
    > I have seen the announcement, but how many have tried it after all of
    > the negative feedback about KDE 4.0 ?
    >
    > Godzilla


    I have been using it since subscribing to BS - KDE4:Factoryesktop.
    It's been quite stable for some time. I don't care about what others
    say. It's a matter of picking what applications work for myself:
    Firefox, Thunderbird, KOffice, gvim, amaroK.

    I can and do switch between KDE4, KDE3, twm, IceWm, Fluxbox, Openbox,
    and Blackbox. I have even put together bits and pieces for "wmii" -
    the packages from openSUSE Buildservice have not worked for me.

    Now I use KDE4 oftener than KDE3. I am selective about which KDE4
    applications to use, though: no KDE4 PIM packages, no KOffice2.


    The way KDE4 was introduced into openSUSE 11.0 was problematic, to say
    the least. But I don't understand the continuing badmouthing. It's
    just one of many I pick and choose. It should not a big deal, anymore,
    by now. openSUSE is a bleeding-edge community distribution, isn't it?

  5. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    Taki wrote:
    > The way KDE4 was introduced into openSUSE 11.0 was problematic, to say
    > the least. But I don't understand the continuing badmouthing. It's
    > just one of many I pick and choose. It should not a big deal, anymore,
    > by now. openSUSE is a bleeding-edge community distribution, isn't it?


    You should have heard the moaning if it wouldn't have been added to
    11.0. Now all you need is to click on one thing and you are done. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
    FOSS says, "Are you coming, or what?"

  6. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 03:00:14 +0000, Taki wrote:



    > I have been using it since subscribing to BS - KDE4:Factoryesktop.
    > It's been quite stable for some time. I don't care about what others
    > say. It's a matter of picking what applications work for myself:
    > Firefox, Thunderbird, KOffice, gvim, amaroK.
    >


    AOL

    > I can and do switch between KDE4, KDE3, twm, IceWm, Fluxbox, Openbox,
    > and Blackbox. I have even put together bits and pieces for "wmii" - the
    > packages from openSUSE Buildservice have not worked for me.
    >
    > Now I use KDE4 oftener than KDE3. I am selective about which KDE4
    > applications to use, though: no KDE4 PIM packages, no KOffice2.


    AOL again - I went from mainly 3 vs 4.0 and then mainly 4.1RC once I had
    that installed

    >
    >
    > The way KDE4 was introduced into openSUSE 11.0 was problematic, to say
    > the least. But I don't understand the continuing badmouthing. It's just
    > one of many I pick and choose. It should not a big deal, anymore, by
    > now. openSUSE is a bleeding-edge community distribution, isn't it?


    and again...

  7. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    > http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/
    >
    >
    > houghi


    4.0 won't run on my laptop. Says it can't start, check my installation.
    Everything is installed with yast.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  8. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    Blattus Slafaly wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> houghi

    >
    > 4.0 won't run on my laptop. Says it can't start, check my installation.
    > Everything is installed with yast.
    >

    Never mind, 4.1 works fine. Just had to disable Autocheck in yast to be
    able to download all the updates without endless dependency failures.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

  9. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    houghi turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    >

    http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/29/...s-and-live-cd/
    >
    >
    > houghi


    I think I'll wait for 5.0 to be released.

    Never go with the even versions....

    :P


    --
    www.perfectreign.com || www.filesite.org

    powered by the lizard: www.opensuse.org

  10. Re: KDE 4.1 for openSUSE 11.0

    PerfectReign wrote:
    > Never go with the even versions....


    Not even? That is odd.

    houghi
    --
    houghi http://houghi.org http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/
    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
    >
    > Today I went outside. My pupils have never been tinier...


+ Reply to Thread