Linux version.. - Suse

This is a discussion on Linux version.. - Suse ; Hi, We are using Red Hat v9 and we are having a problem with both USB and getting Samba to work and Video card compatability. I am thinking of rebuilding the machine and starting from Scratch, which flavour of Linux ...

  1. Linux version..

    Hi,

    We are using Red Hat v9 and we are having a problem with both USB and
    getting Samba to work and Video card compatability.

    I am thinking of rebuilding the machine and starting from Scratch,
    which flavour of Linux would you recommend?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Linux version..

    geoffers wrote:
    > I am thinking of rebuilding the machine and starting from Scratch,
    > which flavour of Linux would you recommend?

    What group are you in? What do you think people will suggest?
    (And people keep saying there are no stupid questions.)

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  3. Re: Linux version..

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:47:38 -0700, geoffers wrote:

    > We are using Red Hat v9 and we are having a problem with both USB and
    > getting Samba to work and Video card compatability.

    I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and know it works well with USB and Samba. As far
    as video goes, depends upon the card, but I suspect that is true of all
    flavors of Linux.

    Susie also worked well for me.

  4. Re: Linux version..

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:47:38 -0700, geoffers wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are using Red Hat v9 and we are having a problem with both USB and
    > getting Samba to work and Video card compatability.
    >

    > I am thinking of rebuilding the machine and starting from Scratch, which
    > flavour of Linux would you recommend? Thanks

    I'm a little confused. You start by mentioning "Linux version" which would
    refer to the version of the kernel being run; then you talk about
    'flavours' - are you really inquiring as to a recommended Linux
    distribution? If so, I can tell you that I've use RH, Mandrivel and Suse
    in the past. I've always found the RPM system to be a bit 'trying'. Since
    I switched to Debian based package management, I've been much happier. I'd
    suggest Debian or Ubuntu. If you're really adventurous, Gentoo. I run
    Gentoo on my mini-itx because I can optimize everything for the specific
    architecture - probably not important if you're building a powerful system.

  5. Re: Linux version..

    * houghi wrote in alt.os.linux.suse:

    > geoffers wrote:
    >> I am thinking of rebuilding the machine and starting from Scratch,
    >> which flavour of Linux would you recommend?

    > What group are you in? What do you think people will suggest?
    > (And people keep saying there are no stupid questions.)
    >
    > houghi

    He mutiposted too.

    --
    David

  6. Re: Linux version..

    geoffers turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are using Red Hat v9 and we are having a problem with both USB and
    > getting Samba to work and Video card compatability.
    >

    > I am thinking of rebuilding the machine and starting from Scratch,
    > which flavour of Linux would you recommend?
    > Thanks

    I'd highly suggest the one that works for you.
    --
    www.perfectreign.com || www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com