Subsume boot partition into root partition - how? - Suse

This is a discussion on Subsume boot partition into root partition - how? - Suse ; The recent kernel update to 11.0 failed because my /boot partition is too small. (It was big enough for 10.2.) Rather than shuffling partitions about maybe I'll subsume it into the root partition. Is there any reason not to do ...

  1. Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    The recent kernel update to 11.0 failed because my /boot partition is too
    small. (It was big enough for 10.2.) Rather than shuffling partitions
    about maybe I'll subsume it into the root partition.

    Is there any reason not to do that?
    What is the easiest safe way of doing it?

    /boot is currently ext2 (it was set up yonks ago) and / is ext3.

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

  2. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Dave Royal wrote:

    > The recent kernel update to 11.0 failed because my /boot partition is too
    > small. (It was big enough for 10.2.) Rather than shuffling partitions
    > about maybe I'll subsume it into the root partition.
    >
    > Is there any reason not to do that?

    No.
    I have none for years.

    > What is the easiest safe way of doing it?

    Basically you copy files from /boot partition to /boot directory,
    remove entries from fstab, and rerun grub installation that should point to
    root partition, instead on boot.
    That all has to be done in one run, before turning computer off, otherwise
    you will need installation DVD to boot it again ;-)

    To give more detailed instructions, I would need output of command
    mount | grep boot
    that should show is /boot mounted, and
    cat /etc/fstab
    to see where is current boot and root partition.

    > /boot is currently ext2 (it was set up yonks ago) and / is ext3.

    File system doesn't matter.

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

  3. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > To give more detailed instructions, I would need output of command
    > mount | grep boot
    > that should show is /boot mounted, and
    > cat /etc/fstab
    > to see where is current boot and root partition.

    dave@LEN:~> mount | grep boot
    /dev/sda5 on /boot type ext2 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
    dave@LEN:~> cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part6
    swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-
    part3 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part5 /
    boot ext2 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part7 /
    home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part1 /windows/
    C ntfs-3g
    users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_GB.U TF-8 0 0
    proc /proc proc
    defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs
    noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs
    noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
    noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts
    mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/sda8 /home/share vfat
    users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    dave@LEN:~>

    More detailed instructions /would/ be appreciated.

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

  4. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Dave Royal wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >>
    >> To give more detailed instructions, I would need output of command
    >> mount | grep boot
    >> that should show is /boot mounted, and
    >> cat /etc/fstab
    >> to see where is current boot and root partition.
    >>

    > dave@LEN:~> mount | grep boot
    > /dev/sda5 on /boot type ext2 (rw,acl,user_xattr)

    This means:
    umount /boot
    mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    cp -R /boot/* /boot/

    Now you have /boot directory filled with files from /dev/sda5 .
    In case of reboot nothing bad can happen, as originals are
    still untouched.
    Next is to edit /etc/fstab . I turned word wrap off to have
    whole lines, not wrapped in a new line.

    > dave@LEN:~> cat /etc/fstab

    Just in case:
    cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab-old

    Comment out line with /boot .
    I use Midnight Commander http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander
    that has built in editor (key F4).

    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part6 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part3 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    # /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part5 /boot ext2 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part7 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS541060G9SA00_MPBCL5XGKMLL9T-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_GB.U TF-8 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/sda8 /home/share vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

    > More detailed instructions /would/ be appreciated.

    Next is:
    cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst-old

    and run YaST Bootloader to install new version of GRUB that will
    point to / (dev/sdb3). Note that /dev/sdb3 is (hd0,2) in grub notation.

    When done check /boot/grub/menu.lst is it looking sane.
    If not post question.

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

  5. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:25:34 -0500
    "Rajko M." wrote:

    >This means:
    > umount /boot
    > mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    > cp -R /boot/* /boot/

    Or, maybe:

    cp -R /mnt/* /boot/

    ;-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.11-0.1-pae
    9:33pm up 1 day 9:10, 15 users, load average: 0.07, 0.31, 0.50

  6. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Kevin Nathan wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:25:34 -0500
    > "Rajko M." wrote:
    >
    >>This means:
    >> umount /boot
    >> mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    >> cp -R /boot/* /boot/
    >>

    > Or, maybe:
    >
    > cp -R /mnt/* /boot/
    >
    > ;-)

    :-D

    Interesting. I hit insert instead of backspace, and later adding -R option
    to copy /boot/grub deleted /mn without noticing. Reading post once again
    before sending, I've seen "cp -Rt/* /boot/" and "corrected" error.

    By the way your correction looks in KNode as
    cp -R /mnt/* boot
    where boot is in italic.
    I knew about * bold * = *bold* and _ underscore _ = _underscore_ , and now I
    learned about / italic / = /italic/

    This doesn't work good with commands.

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

  7. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > Interesting. I hit insert instead of backspace, and later adding -R option
    > to copy /boot/grub deleted /mn without noticing. Reading post once again
    > before sending, I've seen "cp -Rt/* /boot/" and "corrected" error.
    >
    > By the way your correction looks in KNode as
    > cp -R /mnt/* boot
    > where boot is in italic.
    > I knew about * bold * = *bold* and _ underscore _ = _underscore_ , and now I
    > learned about / italic / = /italic/
    >
    > This doesn't work good with commands.

    Works fine here http://tinyurl.com/5eeh26

  8. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Thanks a lot, Rajko; all done.
    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

  9. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:21:53 -0500
    "Rajko M." wrote:

    >I knew about * bold * = *bold* and _ underscore _ = _underscore_ , and
    >now I learned about / italic / = /italic/
    >
    >This doesn't work good with commands.

    Interesting. Is there a setting in KNode where that can be turned on
    and off? Just curious . . . :-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.11-0.1-pae
    9:33pm up 2 days 9:10, 16 users, load average: 0.25, 0.22, 0.23

  10. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Kevin Nathan wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:21:53 -0500
    > "Rajko M." wrote:
    >
    >>I knew about * bold * = *bold* and _ underscore _ = _underscore_ , and
    >>now I learned about / italic / = /italic/
    >>
    >>This doesn't work good with commands.
    >>

    > Interesting. Is there a setting in KNode where that can be turned on
    > and off? Just curious . . . :-)

    Well, there is, but when you are convinced that you know all about you
    program and that is already perfectly configured, it is not easy to
    find :-)
    I looked in Settings > Configure KNode for some item that is well hidden,
    but that wasn't right place.

    It is setting Fancy Formatting, in a drop down menu View, or context menu in
    a message view frame, or keyboard shortcut 'y'.
    Using Fancy Formatting shows smilies as graphic and present / / as italic
    etc. Toggle flag and you have plain text.

    Huh.
    I almost reinstalled openSUSE :-D

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

  11. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:07:38 -0500
    "Rajko M." wrote:

    >It is setting Fancy Formatting, in a drop down menu View, or context
    >menu in a message view frame, or keyboard shortcut 'y'.
    >Using Fancy Formatting shows smilies as graphic and present / / as
    >italic etc. Toggle flag and you have plain text.

    I guess I'd have to toggle that flag! ;-) That's why I like my email &
    newsreader (Claws-Mail) -- no *fancy* settings to worry about, just
    plain text. (Yeah, I installed Dillo just in case I need to see an HTML
    email, but I hardly ever use it.)

    >Huh.
    >I almost reinstalled openSUSE :-D

    I installed openSUSE 11 several times -- once with minimum settings,
    next with everything selected (that was interesting!) and then several
    times with different patterns/software selected, just to get a feel of
    how the installer stacks up to previous ones. 11 has been the most
    trouble-free of all the various [open]S[.Uu.]S[.E.] versions I've
    installed (starting with 7.0). Even the 'everything' install worked
    (first time I've had that happen!) but the time to install was
    agonizing, not to mention the updates! ;-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.11-0.1-pae
    9:23pm up 4 days 9:00, 16 users, load average: 0.07, 0.27, 0.35

  12. Re: Subsume boot partition into root partition - how?

    Kevin Nathan wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:07:38 -0500
    > "Rajko M." wrote:
    >
    >>It is setting Fancy Formatting, in a drop down menu View, or context
    >>menu in a message view frame, or keyboard shortcut 'y'.
    >>Using Fancy Formatting shows smilies as graphic and present / / as
    >>italic etc. Toggle flag and you have plain text.
    >>

    > I guess I'd have to toggle that flag! ;-) That's why I like my email &
    > newsreader (Claws-Mail) -- no *fancy* settings to worry about, just
    > plain text. (Yeah, I installed Dillo just in case I need to see an HTML
    > email, but I hardly ever use it.)

    I'm not sure what was default. This /home is the same since 10.2 and KNode
    worked fine all the time. [1]

    Now, with KDE4 ver. 4.1, I'm moving stuff to KDE4 user [2].

    >>Huh.
    >>I almost reinstalled openSUSE :-D

    I was kidding.
    One application problem is for sure not the reason for reinstallation.

    > I installed openSUSE 11 several times -- once with minimum settings,
    > next with everything selected (that was interesting!) and then several
    > times with different patterns/software selected, just to get a feel of
    > how the installer stacks up to previous ones. 11 has been the most
    > trouble-free of all the various [open]S[.Uu.]S[.E.] versions I've
    > installed (starting with 7.0). Even the 'everything' install worked
    > (first time I've had that happen!) but the time to install was
    > agonizing, not to mention the updates! ;-)

    I'm still on version that evolved from Factory :-)
    But it is time to sort out hardware configuration and that can be used to
    load retail version.

    [1] Now I understand folk that doesn't like changes. Some stuff doesn't
    really need more gimmicks.

    [2] Having another user was useful trick to keep desktop settings of main
    user fine. One of KDE developers fired spark on me, somewhere about 4.0,
    because I gave somebody advice to keep users separated. He got in mind PATH
    problem, that was really solved at that time, and I got in mind user that
    installs all new stuff that is still changing a lot, and nobody likes
    software that breaks your daily desktop setup.

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

+ Reply to Thread