Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning - Suse

This is a discussion on Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning - Suse ; Everything works locally and remote printing via CUPS works fine as well. Is it possible to configure OpenSuse 11.0 on a network PC to scan via the network or does the scanner have to be locally attached? Regards...

  1. Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning

    Everything works locally and remote printing via CUPS works fine as well. Is
    it possible to configure OpenSuse 11.0 on a network PC to scan via the
    network or does the scanner have to be locally attached?

    Regards

  2. Re: Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning

    Vasilikon wrote:

    > Everything works locally and remote printing via CUPS works fine as well.
    > Is it possible to configure OpenSuse 11.0 on a network PC to scan via the
    > network or does the scanner have to be locally attached?

    you can scan over network
    go to yast - hardware - scanner - more (right under),
    choose "scan over network"
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning

    EOS wrote:

    > Vasilikon wrote:
    >
    >> Everything works locally and remote printing via CUPS works fine as well.
    >> Is it possible to configure OpenSuse 11.0 on a network PC to scan via the
    >> network or does the scanner have to be locally attached?

    > you can scan over network
    > go to yast - hardware - scanner - more (right under),
    > choose "scan over network"

    Brilliant! Working perfectly. Thanks

  4. Re: Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning

    Vasilikon wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >
    >> Vasilikon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Everything works locally and remote printing via CUPS works fine as well.
    >>> Is it possible to configure OpenSuse 11.0 on a network PC to scan via the
    >>> network or does the scanner have to be locally attached?

    >> you can scan over network
    >> go to yast - hardware - scanner - more (right under),
    >> choose "scan over network"

    > Brilliant! Working perfectly. Thanks

    Just a stupid question here, but don't you still have to be by the
    scanner to feed in the documents? I mean, what's the big advantage to
    remote scanning vs scanning on a local computer to a networked computer
    and just copying the documents?

  5. Re: Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning

    jack wrote:

    > Vasilikon wrote:
    >> EOS wrote:

    >>> you can scan over network
    >>> go to yast - hardware - scanner - more (right under),
    >>> choose "scan over network"

    >> Brilliant! Working perfectly. Thanks
    >>

    > Just a stupid question here, but don't you still have to be by the
    > scanner to feed in the documents? I mean, what's the big advantage to
    > remote scanning vs scanning on a local computer to a networked computer
    > and just copying the documents?

    Ever heard of scanners feeding themselves?
    How about a HP6310 printer which prints, faxes and scans all via network? It
    has a sheet feeder, you know. You put in all the sheets and then start
    scanning. Works *way* better than the HP supplied windows software

    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

  6. Re: Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > jack wrote:

    >> Just a stupid question here, but don't you still have to be by the
    >> scanner to feed in the documents? I mean, what's the big advantage to
    >> remote scanning vs scanning on a local computer to a networked
    >> computer and just copying the documents?

    > Ever heard of scanners feeding themselves?

    Even if the documents have to be put on the scanner by hand remote
    scanning becomes handy if one has a graphics applications open already
    on one machine and another one with the scanner is located in the same
    office [1]. No need to log in and start gimp again.

    [1] I have to walk down two stairs in order to reach the scanner which
    makes remote scanning less attractive :-)

    Günther

  7. Re: Canon MP500 - Remote Scanning

    jack wrote:

    > Vasilikon wrote:
    >> EOS wrote:

    >>> you can scan over network
    >>> go to yast - hardware - scanner - more (right under),
    >>> choose "scan over network"

    >> Brilliant! Working perfectly. Thanks
    >>

    > Just a stupid question here, but don't you still have to be by the
    > scanner to feed in the documents? I mean, what's the big advantage to
    > remote scanning vs scanning on a local computer to a networked computer
    > and just copying the documents?

    In this instance SWMBO is the remote user, it's a home network & it's just
    *easier* if she can scan what she needs onto her own machine!

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread