TiMidity on Suse Menu - Suse

This is a discussion on TiMidity on Suse Menu - Suse ; TiMidity MIDI to WAv player works fine in GUI format when I click on a MIDI file. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it set up on the Main Menu. When installed, it ...

  1. TiMidity on Suse Menu

    TiMidity MIDI to WAv player works fine in GUI format when I click on a
    MIDI file.

    However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it set up on
    the Main Menu. When installed, it does not show up on the main menu
    and I have tried editing the menu to put it there, but it will not
    start. I used the
    /usr/bin/X11/timidity command, but the thinbk won't start from menu

    What am I missing????
    Paul
    --

  2. Re: TiMidity on Suse Menu

    PaulRS wrote:
    > TiMidity MIDI to WAv player works fine in GUI format when I click on a
    > MIDI file.
    >
    > However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it set up on
    > the Main Menu. When installed, it does not show up on the main menu
    > and I have tried editing the menu to put it there, but it will not
    > start. I used the
    > /usr/bin/X11/timidity command, but the thinbk won't start from menu

    Type /usr/bin/X11/timidity in a terminal and see what happens.

  3. Re: TiMidity on Suse Menu

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 18:34:46 UTC, Nikos Chantziaras
    wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > > TiMidity MIDI to WAv player works fine in GUI format when I click on a
    > > MIDI file.
    > >
    > > However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it set up on
    > > the Main Menu. When installed, it does not show up on the main menu
    > > and I have tried editing the menu to put it there, but it will not
    > > start. I used the
    > > /usr/bin/X11/timidity command, but the thinbk won't start from menu

    > Type /usr/bin/X11/timidity in a terminal and see what happens.

    I did that already. All it does is give the program name , author,
    etc. The GUI interface does not come up as when one clicks on an
    actual MIDI (*.mid) file.

    --

  4. Re: TiMidity on Suse Menu

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:33:40 +0000, PaulRS wrote:

    >> Type /usr/bin/X11/timidity in a terminal and see what happens.

    > I did that already. All it does is give the program name , author, etc.
    > The GUI interface does not come up as when one clicks on an actual MIDI
    > (*.mid) file.

    You could try to find out what the actual file association for .mid is.

    In Konqueror, you can:
    * click on a .mid file (NB. Don't click directly on the name,
    that will tend to launch the file. Click on another property of the
    file, that will just select the line)
    * Right mouse click / select properties
    * In the "General" tab, click on the spanner icon (right hand
    side, a bit down from the top)
    * In the bottom section (Application Preference Order), click on
    TiMidity, and select edit. That should show you how Konqueror is calling
    it. (it *may* only be the executable name, not a full path. That's OK, as
    if it works, it is in your path somewhere).

    You can then set up a menu link to that program

    NB 1. Be careful to cancel you way out, so you don't accidentally change
    anything.

    NB 2. Even if you don't normally use Konqueror, you can use it for this
    exercise. You should first check that the association actually works in
    Konqueror though (ie click on a file and make sure TiMidity fires up).

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

  5. Re: TiMidity on Suse Menu

    PaulRS wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 18:34:46 UTC, Nikos Chantziaras
    > wrote:
    >
    >> PaulRS wrote:
    >>> TiMidity MIDI to WAv player works fine in GUI format when I click on a
    >>> MIDI file.
    >>>
    >>> However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it set up on
    >>> the Main Menu. When installed, it does not show up on the main menu
    >>> and I have tried editing the menu to put it there, but it will not
    >>> start. I used the
    >>> /usr/bin/X11/timidity command, but the thinbk won't start from menu

    >> Type /usr/bin/X11/timidity in a terminal and see what happens.

    > I did that already. All it does is give the program name , author,
    > etc. The GUI interface does not come up as when one clicks on an
    > actual MIDI (*.mid) file.

    That is what I'm trying to make you figure out by yourself When you
    simply run it, there's no GUI. So when you put it in the start menu, it
    simply runs /usr/bin/X11/timidity. Since it does not have a GUI when
    you don't give it a MIDI file, nothing happens.

    So in other words, this is normal and intended. That means it does NOT
    make sense at all to add it to the start menu. You should create a file
    association for it though (as David mentions in his post.)

  6. Re: TiMidity on Suse Menu

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:49:33 UTC, David Bailey
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:33:40 +0000, PaulRS wrote:
    >
    > >> Type /usr/bin/X11/timidity in a terminal and see what happens.

    > > I did that already. All it does is give the program name , author, etc.
    > > The GUI interface does not come up as when one clicks on an actual MIDI
    > > (*.mid) file.

    > You could try to find out what the actual file association for .mid is.
    >
    > In Konqueror, you can:
    > * click on a .mid file (NB. Don't click directly on the name,
    > that will tend to launch the file. Click on another property of the
    > file, that will just select the line)
    > * Right mouse click / select properties
    > * In the "General" tab, click on the spanner icon (right hand
    > side, a bit down from the top)
    > * In the bottom section (Application Preference Order), click on
    > TiMidity, and select edit. That should show you how Konqueror is calling
    > it. (it *may* only be the executable name, not a full path. That's OK, as
    > if it works, it is in your path somewhere).
    >

    > You can then set up a menu link to that program
    >

    > NB 1. Be careful to cancel you way out, so you don't accidentally change
    > anything.
    >
    > NB 2. Even if you don't normally use Konqueror, you can use it for this
    > exercise. You should first check that the association actually works in
    > Konqueror though (ie click on a file and make sure TiMidity fires up).

    Many thanks! Your mapping out worked. It is using
    /usr/bin/timidity -iat

    It appears that the "-iat" parameters are the key. Got it working.
    Thanks again,
    Paul