11.0 microphone input with skype - Suse

This is a discussion on 11.0 microphone input with skype - Suse ; With 10.3, I had two computers that I used regularily with skype. With 11.0, I connect to skype and hear everything, but doing a test call never returns any sound - some problem with the microphone to skype path. Same ...

  1. 11.0 microphone input with skype

    With 10.3, I had two computers that I used regularily with skype.
    With 11.0, I connect to skype and hear everything, but doing a test call
    never returns any sound - some problem with the microphone to skype path.

    Same hardware, sound cards, head set (3 different ones that all worked
    before). Neither of the systems work with skype and 11.0.

    Thanks, John

  2. Re: 11.0 microphone input with skype

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:51:57 -0700
    John Bowling wrote:

    >With 10.3, I had two computers that I used regularily with skype.
    >With 11.0, I connect to skype and hear everything, but doing a test
    >call never returns any sound - some problem with the microphone to
    >skype path.
    >
    >Same hardware, sound cards, head set (3 different ones that all worked
    >before). Neither of the systems work with skype and 11.0.

    When I first switched to 11, I couldn't get microphone in Skype, either.
    Using KMix, I finally discovered that under the 'Switches' tab I needed
    to enable:

    Mic Boost
    Mix
    External Amplifier

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae
    9:07pm up 2 days 0:45, 15 users, load average: 0.22, 0.44, 0.47

  3. Re: 11.0 microphone input with skype

    Kevin Nathan wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:51:57 -0700
    > John Bowling wrote:
    >
    >>With 10.3, I had two computers that I used regularily with skype.
    >>With 11.0, I connect to skype and hear everything, but doing a test
    >>call never returns any sound - some problem with the microphone to
    >>skype path.
    >>
    >>Same hardware, sound cards, head set (3 different ones that all worked
    >>before). Neither of the systems work with skype and 11.0.
    >>

    > When I first switched to 11, I couldn't get microphone in Skype, either.
    > Using KMix, I finally discovered that under the 'Switches' tab I needed
    > to enable:
    >
    > Mic Boost
    > Mix
    > External Amplifier

    There is something more than that. I have even tested it with the KRecord
    function to look at a visual of the input, and can't get anything on the
    mic imput except noise with 3 different headsets, and all combinations of
    mixer settings.

    This is with a VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
    configured with driver snd-via82xx, in both systems that are not working.

    11.0 and Skype works fine on a third system with a better motherboard. I am
    not using that hardware normally - it's destined as a backup server once I
    get some good memory for it. It defaults to 1.8 v memory at 800 MHz. The
    memory I got (supposibly good for this mb per NewEgg) requires 1.9v to
    2.1v. Even after getting the voltage up, I have to run the memory at 400
    Mhz (minimum setting). So much for Patriot's over-clocking ability.

    The sound card is SBx00 Azalia with driver snd-hda-intel

  4. Re: 11.0 microphone input with skype

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:09:41 -0700
    John Bowling wrote:

    >There is something more than that. I have even tested it with the
    >KRecord function to look at a visual of the input, and can't get
    >anything on the mic imput except noise with 3 different headsets, and
    >all combinations of mixer settings.

    I've sometimes had good luck with alsamixergui -- it has quite a few
    more controls and that has fixed some audio problems for me. Other than
    that, I'm not sure. Can you modprobe the driver? If it gives you an
    error, that might point a direction to try.

    I have a similar problem at work (an old 10.1 install that I'm planning
    to upgrade to 11 this weekend). After the last kernel update, my sound
    quit working. It's an nVidia chipset but has an ATI video card.
    modprobing the audio driver seems to indicate that the driver no longer
    matches kernel, but I'm not going any farther than that since I will be
    upgrading soon.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae
    9:46pm up 3 days 1:24, 15 users, load average: 0.48, 0.54, 0.64

  5. Re: 11.0 microphone input with skype

    >> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:51:57 -0700
    >> John Bowling wrote:
    >>
    >>>With 10.3, I had two computers that I used regularily with skype.
    >>>With 11.0, I connect to skype and hear everything, but doing a test
    >>>call never returns any sound - some problem with the microphone to
    >>>skype path.

    I sent an email to Skype. They know that Skype-PulseAudio is a no go. The
    reply I received indicated that they are working on a new version which
    will, hopefully, solve these problems. It is not just Suse, but any distro
    using PA.

  6. Re: 11.0 microphone input with skype

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:23:48 -0400
    "mpresley@earthlink.net" wrote:

    >I sent an email to Skype. They know that Skype-PulseAudio is a no
    >go. The reply I received indicated that they are working on a new
    >version which will, hopefully, solve these problems. It is not just
    >Suse, but any distro using PA.

    Ok, that explains it. For some reason, PulseAudio was not installed on
    my system when I did a clean install . . .

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae
    10:27pm up 4 days 2:06, 15 users, load average: 0.73, 0.61, 0.54

+ Reply to Thread