sound in KDE 4.1 - Suse

This is a discussion on sound in KDE 4.1 - Suse ; Hi, I don't get any system sounds out of my opensuse 11 kde 4.1 installation . Even tho Amarok plays music smoothly I don't get any system sounds, e.g. kopete notifications. Also Ktts wouldn't say anything and just tell me ...

  1. sound in KDE 4.1

    Hi,

    I don't get any system sounds out of my opensuse 11 kde 4.1 installation .
    Even tho Amarok plays music smoothly I don't get any system sounds, e.g.
    kopete notifications. Also Ktts wouldn't say anything and just tell me to
    configure it. But when I wanna open the configuration dialog i get an error
    message: "A Fatal Error Occurred
    The application KDE Control Module (kcmshell4) crashed and caused the signal
    11 (SIGSEGV).
    Please help us improve the software you use by filing a report at
    http://bugs.kde.org. Useful details include how to reproduce the error,
    documents that were loaded, etc."

    What's going wrong here, what am I missing? Sound example in Yast plays fine
    too.

    Thank you!
    --
    weeks of coding safes hours of planning

  2. Re: sound in KDE 4.1

    Ron Eggler wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't get any system sounds out of my opensuse 11 kde 4.1 installation
    > . Even tho Amarok plays music smoothly I don't get any system sounds,
    > e.g. kopete notifications. Also Ktts wouldn't say anything and just tell
    > me to configure it. But when I wanna open the configuration dialog i get
    > an error message: "A Fatal Error Occurred
    > The application KDE Control Module (kcmshell4) crashed and caused the
    > signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
    > Please help us improve the software you use by filing a report at
    > http://bugs.kde.org. Useful details include how to reproduce the error,
    > documents that were loaded, etc."
    >
    > What's going wrong here, what am I missing? Sound example in Yast plays
    > fine too.
    >
    > Thank you!

    The Devices I see under "Sound - System Settings" in "System Settings - Sound" are:
    HDA Intel(ALC883 Analog)
    HDA Intel (ALC883 Digital) #1
    HDA Intel ALC883 Digital (IEC958 S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)
    default
    hw:0,0
    hw:0,1
    HDA Intel (ALC883 Digital) (grayed out)
    HDA Intel (ALC883 Analog) (grayed out)

    I've tried every device on top and for some of them i get a message saying
    that the device wouldn't work and kde is falling back to the next in the
    list.
    I have connected the amplifier on the connector on the back and Amarok
    always plays, no matter what order the devices in this list are in - any
    ideas?
    Hints would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you!

    Ron

    --
    weeks of coding safes hours of planning

  3. Re: sound in KDE 4.1

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 04:34:49 +0000, Ron Eggler typed this message:

    > Ron Eggler wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I don't get any system sounds out of my opensuse 11 kde 4.1
    >> installation . Even tho Amarok plays music smoothly I don't get any
    >> system sounds, e.g. kopete notifications. Also Ktts wouldn't say
    >> anything and just tell me to configure it. But when I wanna open the
    >> configuration dialog i get an error message: "A Fatal Error Occurred
    >> The application KDE Control Module (kcmshell4) crashed and caused the
    >> signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
    >> Please help us improve the software you use by filing a report at
    >> http://bugs.kde.org. Useful details include how to reproduce the error,
    >> documents that were loaded, etc."
    >>
    >> What's going wrong here, what am I missing? Sound example in Yast plays
    >> fine too.
    >>
    >> Thank you!

    > The Devices I see under "Sound - System Settings" in "System Settings -
    > Sound" are: HDA Intel(ALC883 Analog)
    > HDA Intel (ALC883 Digital) #1
    > HDA Intel ALC883 Digital (IEC958 S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output) default
    > hw:0,0
    > hw:0,1
    > HDA Intel (ALC883 Digital) (grayed out) HDA Intel (ALC883 Analog)
    > (grayed out)
    >
    > I've tried every device on top and for some of them i get a message
    > saying that the device wouldn't work and kde is falling back to the next
    > in the list.
    > I have connected the amplifier on the connector on the back and Amarok
    > always plays, no matter what order the devices in this list are in - any
    > ideas?
    > Hints would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Ron

    Not sure if you're having the same problem as I did with Pulse Audio and
    system sounds. There's a webpage "perfect pulse sound or perfect sound
    pulse audio" that lists a bunch of workarounds for pulse audio.

    In my case I added a command to .bashrc for Gnome ESD (Esound). But I
    also found I had to delete an outdated ~/.esd_* file from my home
    folder. Now my system sounds seem to be working though I haven't heard
    the logout sound or email_sounds yet.

  4. Re: sound in KDE 4.1

    noi ance wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 04:34:49 +0000, Ron Eggler typed this message:
    >
    >> Ron Eggler wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I don't get any system sounds out of my opensuse 11 kde 4.1
    >>> installation . Even tho Amarok plays music smoothly I don't get any
    >>> system sounds, e.g. kopete notifications. Also Ktts wouldn't say
    >>> anything and just tell me to configure it. But when I wanna open the
    >>> configuration dialog i get an error message: "A Fatal Error Occurred
    >>> The application KDE Control Module (kcmshell4) crashed and caused the
    >>> signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
    >>> Please help us improve the software you use by filing a report at
    >>> http://bugs.kde.org. Useful details include how to reproduce the error,
    >>> documents that were loaded, etc."
    >>>
    >>> What's going wrong here, what am I missing? Sound example in Yast plays
    >>> fine too.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you!

    >> The Devices I see under "Sound - System Settings" in "System Settings -
    >> Sound" are: HDA Intel(ALC883 Analog)
    >> HDA Intel (ALC883 Digital) #1
    >> HDA Intel ALC883 Digital (IEC958 S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output) default
    >> hw:0,0
    >> hw:0,1
    >> HDA Intel (ALC883 Digital) (grayed out) HDA Intel (ALC883 Analog)
    >> (grayed out)
    >>
    >> I've tried every device on top and for some of them i get a message
    >> saying that the device wouldn't work and kde is falling back to the next
    >> in the list.
    >> I have connected the amplifier on the connector on the back and Amarok
    >> always plays, no matter what order the devices in this list are in - any
    >> ideas?
    >> Hints would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> Thank you!
    >>
    >> Ron

    > Not sure if you're having the same problem as I did with Pulse Audio and
    > system sounds. There's a webpage "perfect pulse sound or perfect sound
    > pulse audio" that lists a bunch of workarounds for pulse audio.
    >
    > In my case I added a command to .bashrc for Gnome ESD (Esound). But I
    > also found I had to delete an outdated ~/.esd_* file from my home
    > folder. Now my system sounds seem to be working though I haven't heard
    > the logout sound or email_sounds yet.

    What command did you add to your .bashrc?
    I renamed the ~/.esd_auth I had to ~/.esd_auth~ - let's see on next bootup
    if this helped.... Doubt it tho... but who knows... thanks for sure for this
    hint!

    Ron

    --
    weeks of coding safes hours of planning

  5. Re: sound in KDE 4.1

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:18:54 +0000, Ron Eggler typed this message:

    Actually I only needed it once.

    if [ ! -e /tmp/.esd-${UID} ]; then
    ln -s /tmp/.esd /tmp/.esd-${UID}

    created a /tmp/.esd-${UID}