how do you install or configure csh? - Suse

This is a discussion on how do you install or configure csh? - Suse ; Hello, how do I turn on or install the csh option on open suse 11?...

  1. how do you install or configure csh?

    Hello, how do I turn on or install the csh option on open suse 11?

  2. Re: how do you install or configure csh?

    anonuserca@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello, how do I turn on or install the csh option on open suse 11?

    Check if it's there. Simply type "csh". If it starts, it's installed.
    Go to YaST, user management section, and change your shell from bash
    to csh there.

    If it's not installed, install it in YaST software manager first.

  3. Re: how do you install or configure csh?

    anonuserca@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hello, how do I turn on or install the csh option on open suse 11?

    Installing you do with YaST. Software, Software management.
    Making it default, you do with YaST. Security and Users, User and group
    management, select user you want to have csh and go to Edit. Next to
    Details and select /bin/csh.

    You can make a selection there or select anything you want. E.g. I once
    had a login 'adventure' and a password 'adventure' and that user had
    instead of /bin/bash or any of the other options
    /usr/local/bin/login_adventure.sh and that contained:
    #!/bin/bash
    clear
    if [ ! -e .lockfile ]
    then
    touch .lockfile
    /usr/games/adventure
    rm .lockfile
    else
    echo "Sorry, somebody is already playing."
    fi

    kill -9 $$

    What that did was run /usr/games/adventure when you logged in. A second
    person would not be able to log in and /usr/games/adventure was the only
    thing you could run.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  4. Re: how do you install or configure csh?

    anonuserca@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello, how do I turn on or install the csh option on open suse 11?

    man chsh

    Also, see http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/.

+ Reply to Thread