OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core - Suse ; I downloaded OpenSUSE 11, and was able to install the OS on my dual core computer. When I installed the DVD on the quad core computer, it goes to install the OS, and later on, it says that some components ...

  1. OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    I downloaded OpenSUSE 11, and was able to install the OS on my dual
    core computer.
    When I installed the DVD on the quad core computer, it goes to install
    the OS, and later on,
    it says that some components had problems, and it just stops there.

    I don't think my DVD has a problem, because it was able to install the
    OS onto the
    dual core PC fine.

    Any suggestions as to why OpenSUSE 11 DVD failed on the quad core PC?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    Michelle wrote:

    > Any suggestions as to why OpenSUSE 11 DVD failed on the quad core PC?
    > Thanks.

    maby have us some more info
    about the quad core CPU.

    or gives us everyting
    like MB, HD, SATA controler, ..... ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    Michelle wrote:
    > I downloaded OpenSUSE 11, and was able to install the OS on my dual
    > core computer.
    > When I installed the DVD on the quad core computer, it goes to install
    > the OS, and later on,
    > it says that some components had problems, and it just stops there.
    >
    > I don't think my DVD has a problem, because it was able to install the
    > OS onto the
    > dual core PC fine.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to why OpenSUSE 11 DVD failed on the quad core PC?
    > Thanks.

    Why do you insist on this being a "how many cores the CPU has" problem.
    openSUSE can even be used with 50 cores (if you would build such a
    system).

    There are a lot, a *lot*, a *LOT* of other components in a PC. How many
    cores the CPU has is the least of your problems.

  4. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    Michelle wrote:
    > I downloaded OpenSUSE 11, and was able to install the OS on my dual
    > core computer.

    OK.

    > When I installed the DVD on the quad core computer, it goes to install
    > the OS, and later on, it says that some components had problems, and
    > it just stops there.

    Please do not give that much information. We love to guess.

    > I don't think my DVD has a problem, because it was able to install the
    > OS onto the dual core PC fine.

    You think, or you verified?

    > Any suggestions as to why OpenSUSE 11 DVD failed on the quad core PC?

    Yes, it because of well, stuff went wrong somewhere.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  5. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Why do you insist on this being a "how many cores the CPU has" problem.
    > openSUSE can even be used with 50 cores (if you would build such a
    > system).

    Or a lot, lot more (eventually).

    To be fair, this hasn't been built yet, and the article simply
    mentions "Suse Linux" as the OS.

    --
    Don

  6. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    Don Raboud wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you insist on this being a "how many cores the CPU has" problem.
    >> openSUSE can even be used with 50 cores (if you would build such a
    >> system).

    > Or a lot, lot more (eventually).
    >

    > To be fair, this hasn't been built yet, and the article simply
    > mentions "Suse Linux" as the OS.

    Ha, I'll try digging up one of those on ebay O_o

  7. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    Don Raboud wrote:

    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you insist on this being a "how many cores the CPU has" problem.
    >> openSUSE can even be used with 50 cores (if you would build such a
    >> system).

    > Or a lot, lot more (eventually).
    >

    > To be fair, this hasn't been built yet, and the article simply
    > mentions "Suse Linux" as the OS.

    I hope they have enough bandwith to at least download the live CD. Well,
    if they have problems, I am sure we will see their questions here very
    soon.

    I can just imagine the posting:
    Hello, My name is John and at the company I work for we have a
    20480-core system and it doesn't boot. Has anybody here experienced the
    same problems and what can we do?

    The problem will probably be that they did not change the bios to boot
    from the DVD.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  8. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    houghi wrote:
    > Don Raboud wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    > I can just imagine the posting:
    > Hello, My name is John and at the company I work for we have a
    > 20480-core system and it doesn't boot. Has anybody here experienced the
    > same problems and what can we do?
    >
    > The problem will probably be that they did not change the bios to boot
    > from the DVD.

    "I forgot to mention that the DVD-drive seems to have a lot of problems
    due to the low-gravity environment."

  9. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> The problem will probably be that they did not change the bios to boot
    >> from the DVD.

    > "I forgot to mention that the DVD-drive seems to have a lot of problems
    > due to the low-gravity environment."

    That's no moon. It's a space station.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  10. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    why don't you ask if any one has installed opensuse on a quad core and ask
    them what kind of quad core they have. And it would be nice if you told us
    what cpu you are using and the mb. Then you might get more answers.

  11. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    did you do a media check?

    a simple google gave me this

    John Andersen wrote:

    On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Joe Sloan wrote:

    hans.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

    dear all
    I am planning to have a new openSUSE10.3 server and am gong to
    have a
    powerful hardware to run with. I am thinking about Intel Quad
    Core Q6600
    and memory 4GB. Question is, is Quad Core Q6600 supported by
    opensuse
    10.3? or do i have to install 64 bit version?

    I've got SLES 10 running on a system with dual quad core CPUs and
    top sees
    8 CPUs, so I imagine OS 10.3 would have no problem either as it's
    running an
    even newer kernel.

    As to your question about 64 bit, it's not an either/or proposition,
    opensuse is available in 32 or 64 bit versions.

    X86-64 is the version for quad-core machines. (Don't load the 64bit
    kernel, thats a different animal.

    er... you're not too far from the truth. The standard suse kernel is the
    right one for quad core CPUs. Either the i386 or x86_64 kernel can handle
    multi core just fine.

    The i386 kernel will run on 32 or 64-bit machines, while the x86_64 kernel
    will only run on the amd64 and intel emt64 architectures.

    Perhaps you're thinking of itanium, which is 64-bit only, end of story.

    Joe

  12. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    darklight wrote:
    > why don't you ask if any one has installed opensuse on a quad core and ask
    > them what kind of quad core they have. And it would be nice if you told us
    > what cpu you are using and the mb. Then you might get more answers.

    I have openSuSE 11.0 running on two quad quad-core AMD 8350 based
    servers without problems at the moment.

    Matthew

  13. Re: OpenSUSE 11 worked on dual core, but not on quad core

    First, to use the Intel quad core for 4 32-bit cpu mode mode you must install
    32-bit version.

    If you want to use, the Intel quad core as a dual 64-bit cpu then you need to
    install the 64-bit version. Motherboard and BIOS must be quad core capable.
    And on some motherboards/BIOS you must adjust the cpu configuration
    parameters in the BIOS before installation.

+ Reply to Thread