routing problem - Suse

This is a discussion on routing problem - Suse ; Hello all. I have a routing problem. I have a linux machine (OpenSuSE) that acts as a gateway for the LAN and is connected to internet using two different internet providers. I want to ping this linux machine from the ...

  1. routing problem

    Hello all. I have a routing problem.
    I have a linux machine (OpenSuSE) that acts as a gateway for the LAN and
    is connected to internet using two different internet providers.
    I want to ping this linux machine from the lan and from outside, using
    both public ip (even from the lan, I have to call linux using external
    public ip and not the internal lan ip).

    Let's call:
    $IP1 = linux ip on first provider's net
    $P1_NET = first provider's net
    $P1 = default gateway ip on first provider's net
    $IF1 = ethernet interface wired with first provider's net

    I have tried these commands:
    ip route add $P1_NET dev $IF1 src $IP1 table 1
    ip route add default via $P1 table 1
    ip route add $P2_NET dev $IF2 src $IP2 table 2
    ip route add default via $P2 table 2
    ip route del default
    ip route add default via $P1
    ip rule add from $IP1 table 1
    ip rule add from $IP2 table 2

    Now, if I ping $IP1 or ping $IP2 I get correct answer from outside but
    not from the LAN.

    If I substitute the 7th line with this line:
    ip rule add from $IP1 to 82.0.0.0/8 lookup 2

    than ping works from LAN and from outside but obviously it works only
    from external ip like 82.a.b.c.
    Extending this for all valid addresses I would have to write a lot of rules:
    ip rule add from $IP1 to 1.0.0.0/8 lookup 2
    ip rule add from $IP1 to 2.0.0.0/8 lookup 2
    ip rule add from $IP1 to 3.0.0.0/8 lookup 2
    excluding 192.168.0.0/16, and than the same for $IP2. It seems me not
    very good. :-)

    Have you got any suggestion to solve the problem?
    Thank you very much.

  2. Re: routing problem

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:44:01 +0200, Alessandro Topo Galileo typed this
    message:

    > Hello all. I have a routing problem.
    > I have a linux machine (OpenSuSE) that acts as a gateway for the LAN and
    > is connected to internet using two different internet providers. I want
    > to ping this linux machine from the lan and from outside, using both
    > public ip (even from the lan, I have to call linux using external public
    > ip and not the internal lan ip).
    >
    > Let's call:
    > $IP1 = linux ip on first provider's net $P1_NET = first provider's net
    > $P1 = default gateway ip on first provider's net $IF1 = ethernet
    > interface wired with first provider's net
    >
    > I have tried these commands:
    > ip route add $P1_NET dev $IF1 src $IP1 table 1 ip route add default via
    > $P1 table 1
    > ip route add $P2_NET dev $IF2 src $IP2 table 2 ip route add default via
    > $P2 table 2
    > ip route del default
    > ip route add default via $P1
    > ip rule add from $IP1 table 1
    > ip rule add from $IP2 table 2
    >
    > Now, if I ping $IP1 or ping $IP2 I get correct answer from outside but
    > not from the LAN.
    >
    > If I substitute the 7th line with this line: ip rule add from $IP1 to
    > 82.0.0.0/8 lookup 2
    >
    > than ping works from LAN and from outside but obviously it works only
    > from external ip like 82.a.b.c.
    > Extending this for all valid addresses I would have to write a lot of
    > rules: ip rule add from $IP1 to 1.0.0.0/8 lookup 2 ip rule add from $IP1
    > to 2.0.0.0/8 lookup 2 ip rule add from $IP1 to 3.0.0.0/8 lookup 2 ...
    > excluding 192.168.0.0/16, and than the same for $IP2. It seems me not
    > very good. :-)
    >
    > Have you got any suggestion to solve the problem? Thank you very much.

    Going on a limb here but wouldn't this be something better defined in
    your /etc/hosts table.

    /etc/hosts on remote machine.

    $IP1 Linuxbox1_on.external.network

    or
    $P1_NET Linuxbox1_on.external.network

    192.168.0.2 Linuxbox1_on.internal.network

  3. Re: routing problem

    Il 22/07/2008 20.58, noi ance ha scritto:

    > Going on a limb here but wouldn't this be something better defined in
    > your /etc/hosts table.
    >
    > /etc/hosts on remote machine.

    This does not solve the problem, anyway thank you for your answer.
    At last, it works (for interested people: comp.os.linux.networking,
    thread with the same name).

+ Reply to Thread