Configuration of remote X - Suse

This is a discussion on Configuration of remote X - Suse ; I have VNC running (configured via YaST) and I connect to it with `vncviewer pizza:5901`. I get a 1024x768 screen wich is neat. Two questions: Where do I change that screensize? I would have it bigger. How do I take ...

  1. Configuration of remote X

    I have VNC running (configured via YaST) and I connect to it with
    `vncviewer pizza:5901`. I get a 1024x768 screen wich is neat.

    Two questions:
    Where do I change that screensize? I would have it bigger.
    How do I take over an existing screen?

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

  2. Re: Configuration of remote X

    houghi schreef:
    > I have VNC running (configured via YaST) and I connect to it with
    > `vncviewer pizza:5901`. I get a 1024x768 screen wich is neat.
    >
    > Two questions:
    > Where do I change that screensize? I would have it bigger.
    > How do I take over an existing screen?
    >
    > houghi

    I guess you could change it from vncserver with '-geometry' parameter or
    edit the vncserver script yourself. I also found another method from
    google:
    http://steveyoung.wordpress.com/2007...en-resolution/

  3. Re: Configuration of remote X

    Canned wrote:
    >> Two questions:
    >> Where do I change that screensize? I would have it bigger.
    >> How do I take over an existing screen?
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I guess you could change it from vncserver with '-geometry' parameter or
    > edit the vncserver script yourself.

    This only changes the size of the window, not of the resolution inside
    that window.

    > I also found another method from google:
    > http://steveyoung.wordpress.com/2007...en-resolution/

    With me there is the following:
    Section "Monitor"
    Option "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"
    DisplaySize 331 207
    HorizSync 30-62
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "LGPHILIPSLCD LCD MONITOR"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1280x800"
    VendorName "LPL"
    VertRefresh 43-60
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

    Even removing it and adding the infor in the URL des not change
    anything.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  4. Re: Configuration of remote X

    houghi wrote:
    > Even removing it and adding the infor in the URL des not change
    > anything.

    OK, I have found it. The file to edit is /etc/xinetd.d/vnc
    There I see that the -geometry was correct. I was looking at the client
    and it needed to be done at the server side.

    So what I did was the following
    1) ssh to the server I want to connect to. Become root
    2) edit 1024x768 to 1920x1200 in /etc/xinetd.d/vnc for vnc1
    3) `killall xinetd` so that it is down
    4) `xinetd` so the new settings are OK.

    On the client side:
    5) Add the following line to ~/.alias
    alias vnc="vncviewer -fullscreen pizza:5901"
    This will allow me to connect with just vnc
    6) Add a new workspace where I will be running
    7) Run `vnc` (or vncviewer -fullscreen pizza:5901" if I have not yet
    logged in and out of X)

    The reason I use this is as a workaround for 'startx kde -- :1' and
    such things.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

+ Reply to Thread