Mail problems on 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on Mail problems on 11.0 - Suse ; I was attempting to migrate the omen.com server from Fedora 8 to Opensuse 11, but getting mail to work has me stumped. I couldn't get postfix or sendmail to accept mail from the internet for local delivery. I was able ...

  1. Mail problems on 11.0

    I was attempting to migrate the omen.com server from Fedora 8
    to Opensuse 11, but getting mail to work has me stumped.

    I couldn't get postfix or sendmail to accept mail from the
    internet for local delivery. I was able to get exim to
    accept mail but it doesn't seem to work with procmail.

    FWIW the hostname is omen1 and the domain name is omen.com
    Incoming mail is addresses to user@omen.com

    The opensuse dovecot does not seem to accept imap mail
    fetches from RIM (Blackberry mail). Imap works with Fedora.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

  2. Re: Mail problems on 11.0

    Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
    > I was attempting to migrate the omen.com server from Fedora 8
    > to Opensuse 11, but getting mail to work has me stumped.
    >
    > I couldn't get postfix or sendmail to accept mail from the
    > internet for local delivery. I was able to get exim to
    > accept mail but it doesn't seem to work with procmail.

    OK.

    > FWIW the hostname is omen1 and the domain name is omen.com
    > Incoming mail is addresses to user@omen.com

    OK.

    > The opensuse dovecot does not seem to accept imap mail
    > fetches from RIM (Blackberry mail). Imap works with Fedora.

    Let us do things one by one and do this when all is working.
    The default for openSUSE is postfix which is also a bit easier to
    configure.

    As I understand, outgoing mail is no problem, so we focus solely on
    incoming mail.First I look at the MX records. There where the mail needs
    to go to:
    MX record for omen.com:
    omen.com. 2H IN MX 1 omen.com.
    omen.com. 2H IN MX 10 omen.omen.com.

    First remove the second line. This for two reasons.
    1) In about 99.9% it is not needed anyway
    2) They are the same machine anyway, so it will just complicate things
    and will cause errors where you do not want them.

    OK, on to the next stage. I try a telnet on port 25 on omen.com. and I
    see that it runs exim as you said above so port 25 is open. :-D

    Now what happens if you run postfix? Is there
    n error message? No connection? What? What are the changes you have done
    to the config file for postfix?

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  3. Re: Mail problems on 11.0

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:18:30 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
    >> I was attempting to migrate the omen.com server from Fedora 8 to
    >> Opensuse 11, but getting mail to work has me stumped.
    >>
    >> I couldn't get postfix or sendmail to accept mail from the internet for
    >> local delivery. I was able to get exim to accept mail but it doesn't
    >> seem to work with procmail.

    > OK.
    >
    >> FWIW the hostname is omen1 and the domain name is omen.com Incoming
    >> mail is addresses to user@omen.com

    > OK.
    >
    >> The opensuse dovecot does not seem to accept imap mail fetches from RIM
    >> (Blackberry mail). Imap works with Fedora.

    > Let us do things one by one and do this when all is working. The default
    > for openSUSE is postfix which is also a bit easier to configure.
    >
    > As I understand, outgoing mail is no problem, so we focus solely on
    > incoming mail.First I look at the MX records. There where the mail needs
    > to go to:
    > MX record for omen.com:
    > omen.com. 2H IN MX 1 omen.com. omen.com.
    > 2H IN MX 10 omen.omen.com.
    >
    > First remove the second line. This for two reasons. 1) In about 99.9% it
    > is not needed anyway 2) They are the same machine anyway, so it will
    > just complicate things and will cause errors where you do not want them.
    >
    > OK, on to the next stage. I try a telnet on port 25 on omen.com. and I
    > see that it runs exim as you said above so port 25 is open. :-D
    >
    > Now what happens if you run postfix? Is there n error message? No
    > connection? What? What are the changes you have done to the config file
    > for postfix?
    >
    > houghi

    Omen.com is back on Fedora as I can't have mail
    gronked for more than a short time.

    So suse testing will continue on a different machine,
    not omen.com.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
    10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665

  4. Re: Mail problems on 11.0

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:18:30 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Now what happens if you run postfix? Is there n error message? No
    > connection? What? What are the changes you have done to the config file
    > for postfix?
    >
    > houghi

    I tried changing 69 things in postfix but incoming mail is still
    rejected. Same thing after switching to sendmail. At least I was
    able to get exim to accept incoming mail but it doesn't want to
    work with procmail.

    There should be one well documented thing that can be changed with
    postfix to allow incoming mail, to allow opensuse to be a server.

    Oh, and a well documented way to get pop3 and imap up.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
    10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665

  5. Re: Mail problems on 11.0

    Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:18:30 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Now what happens if you run postfix? Is there n error message? No
    >> connection? What? What are the changes you have done to the config file
    >> for postfix?
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I tried changing 69 things in postfix but incoming mail is still
    > rejected.

    I asked what, not how many. Also I asume that the rejection reads: "You
    have not configured your system correctly. Don't tell anybody what the
    exact message is, because it might contain the solution."

    > Same thing after switching to sendmail. At least I was
    > able to get exim to accept incoming mail but it doesn't want to
    > work with procmail.

    No experience with either.

    > There should be one well documented thing that can be changed with
    > postfix to allow incoming mail, to allow opensuse to be a server.

    Well, install it, open the firewall and edit /etc/postfix/main.cf
    You can also use YaST, but I have never done that.

    > Oh, and a well documented way to get pop3 and imap up.

    That is something completely different.

    However there is some info on http://en.opensuse.org/Mail_server_HOWTO

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  6. Re: Mail problems on 11.0

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:-

    >I tried changing 69 things in postfix

    What things?

    >but incoming mail is still
    >rejected.

    And what were the error messages?

    >Same thing after switching to sendmail.

    Do you mean it's rejected as in Postfix or Sendmail won't accept the
    mail and the sender gets a 5xx error returned, or is it a case of
    Postfix or Sendmail are ignoring the connection attempt?

    As before, exactly what is/are error message(s) you get?

    In the first case, does the mail server know it's supposed to be called
    omen.com? For Sendmail, you can do this at least 4 ways:

    1, edit /etc/mail/local-host-names and add "omen.com" to it;
    2, edit /etc/sysconfig/sendmail, add "omen.com" to the variable
    SENDMAIL_LOCALHOST and then run SuSEconfig;
    3, use YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor and edit the entry
    Network -> Mail -> Sendmail -> SENDMAIL_LOCALHOST;
    4, edit /etc/sendmail.cf and add "omen.com" to the line starting Cw .

    If you use the last one, you will need to use:

    YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor

    and edit the entry

    Network -> Mail -> General -> MAIL_CREATE_CONFIG

    and change it to "no" otherwise the changes will be wiped out the next
    time SuSEconfig is run.

    As I don't use Postfix, someone else will have to tell you how to do the
    same thing.

    >At least I was
    >able to get exim to accept incoming mail but it doesn't want to
    >work with procmail.

    No idea about that. I've never tried it.

    >There should be one well documented thing that can be changed with
    >postfix to allow incoming mail, to allow opensuse to be a server.

    From this, I guess you haven't allowed remote connections. Use:

    YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor

    and edit the entry

    Network -> Mail -> General -> SMTPD_LISTEN_REMOTE

    and change it to "yes".

    >Oh, and a well documented way to get pop3 and imap up.

    For POP3 I use xinetd to start popper, which is a part of qpopper.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32 | | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0 32bit
    | openSUSE 10.2 64bit | openSUSE 10.3 64bit | openSUSE 11.0 64bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  7. Re: Mail problems on 11.0

    I reinstalled 11.0 from scratch and was able to get postfix
    working accecpting internet mail and working with procmail.

    I followed the detailed arcane instructions on an article
    on setting up an opensuse server. I don't know if those
    extra steps helped the project or not.

    A large part of the problem stems from the machine's name
    being omen1.omen.com but receiving mail for omen.com.

    I find it strange that some of the stuff to configure
    opensuse's dovecot is in a documentation directory!
    That's what I'd expect from ... oh well..

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
    10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 FAX 629-0665

  8. Re: Mail problems on 11.0

    Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
    > I reinstalled 11.0 from scratch and was able to get postfix
    > working accecpting internet mail and working with procmail.
    >
    > I followed the detailed arcane instructions on an article
    > on setting up an opensuse server. I don't know if those
    > extra steps helped the project or not.

    Yes it did, unless you proove otherwise.

    > A large part of the problem stems from the machine's name
    > being omen1.omen.com but receiving mail for omen.com.

    That should not be a problem. However as we have no details nothing can
    be sure and I asume you just configured it wrong.

    > I find it strange that some of the stuff to configure
    > opensuse's dovecot is in a documentation directory!
    > That's what I'd expect from ... oh well..

    I have no experience with dovecot, however it is very common that
    examples are placed in the documentation directory.

    It is a pity that you again do not give any details. Otherwise people
    might be interested in looking it up, filing a bugreport if there is an
    issue and solve it for the future.

    Is there a reason you are so sparce with information?

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

+ Reply to Thread