install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse ; Hi there, I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which currently runs 10.3. The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

  1. install problems with Suse 11.0

    Hi there,

    I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    currently runs 10.3.
    The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.

    Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    card)?

    Joost

  2. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    > currently runs 10.3.
    > The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    > by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    > When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    > whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    > 1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    > I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    > typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    > 2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    > resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    > falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >
    > Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    > card)?

    1) Do you have the rights to use the domain @whipethishccnet.nl ? If
    not, just add .invalid and all will be OK.
    2) Read http://en.opensuse.org/Nvidia
    3) log in as root and type `OCICLI http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp`

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  3. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >> I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    >> currently runs 10.3.
    >> The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    >> by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    >> When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    >> whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    >> 1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    >> I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    >> typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    >> 2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    >> resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    >> falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >>
    >> Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    >> card)?

    > 1) Do you have the rights to use the domain @whipethishccnet.nl ? If
    > not, just add .invalid and all will be OK.
    > 2) Read http://en.opensuse.org/Nvidia
    > 3) log in as root and type `OCICLI http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp`
    >
    > houghi

    Hi Houghi,

    You're the first to make a remark about my sender id (but I already
    changed it :-) ).

    The other links are known to me, but they only refer to the installation
    of the Nvidia drivers _after_ the installation of Suse. The problem is
    that the installation of Suse itself goes wrong :-( Even text mode
    doesn't properly, I get huge characters.

    Maybe there are some startup options to bypass the default video
    settings? Or maybe I have to change something in the Bios? I already
    tried both "plug and paly OS" on and off....

    Joost

  4. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > The other links are known to me, but they only refer to the installation
    > of the Nvidia drivers _after_ the installation of Suse. The problem is
    > that the installation of Suse itself goes wrong :-( Even text mode
    > doesn't properly, I get huge characters.

    Mmm. That is a first. Enter vga=ask as a boot option. That will give you
    the option to enter a vga mode yourself.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  5. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >> The other links are known to me, but they only refer to the installation
    >> of the Nvidia drivers _after_ the installation of Suse. The problem is
    >> that the installation of Suse itself goes wrong :-( Even text mode
    >> doesn't properly, I get huge characters.

    > Mmm. That is a first. Enter vga=ask as a boot option. That will give you
    > the option to enter a vga mode yourself.
    >

    > houghi

    Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?

    Joost

  6. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >>> The other links are known to me, but they only refer to the installation
    >>> of the Nvidia drivers _after_ the installation of Suse. The problem is
    >>> that the installation of Suse itself goes wrong :-( Even text mode
    >>> doesn't properly, I get huge characters.

    >> Mmm. That is a first. Enter vga=ask as a boot option. That will give you
    >> the option to enter a vga mode yourself.
    >>

    >> houghi

    > Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?

    Yes, or anything else that will work. 1024x768 might work or 1600x1200
    or ...

    It is just so you are able to install openSUSE and then can run the
    installation for the NVidia card.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  7. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:42:41 +0200, Joost van der Waa
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    >currently runs 10.3.
    >The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    >by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    >When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    >whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    >1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    >I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    >typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    >2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    >resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    >falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >
    >Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    >card)?

    Joost I have a different problem, which is probably an old one.
    I am in NL too. I have a KPN Alcatel Speed Touch (ISDN) ADSL modem. I can't find
    out how to configure it.
    --

    Martin

  8. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:14:01 +0200, Martin wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:42:41 +0200, Joost van der Waa
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    >>currently runs 10.3.
    >>The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    >>by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    >>When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    >>whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    >>1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    >>I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    >>typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    >>2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    >>resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    >>falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >>
    >>Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    >>card)?

    >Joost I have a different problem, which is probably an old one.
    >I am in NL too. I have a KPN Alcatel Speed Touch (ISDN) ADSL modem. I can't find
    >out how to configure it.

    I should have mentioned that it is MXSTREAM that I am trying to configure.
    --

    Martin

  9. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:14:01 +0200, Martin wrote:
    >
    >> Joost I have a different problem, which is probably an old one.
    >> I am in NL too. I have a KPN Alcatel Speed Touch (ISDN) ADSL modem. I can't find
    >> out how to configure it.

    > I should have mentioned that it is MXSTREAM that I am trying to configure.

    Hi Martin,

    You should open a new thread for this discussion, otherwise everything
    will get pretty confusing.
    But, to answer your question: just browse to the IP-address of the
    router, there you can configure everything. The IP-address could be
    anything, KPN has made rather a mess of the usage of home
    ip-numbers..... 10.0.0.xxx, or 192.168.0.xxx

    Success,

    Joost

  10. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:
    >>Joost I have a different problem, which is probably an old one.
    >>I am in NL too. I have a KPN Alcatel Speed Touch (ISDN) ADSL modem. I can't find
    >>out how to configure it.

    > I should have mentioned that it is MXSTREAM that I am trying to configure.

    Is that the USB modem or the ethernet one? (To all others, there is an
    ethernet one that doesn't have the connection settings on the machine)

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  11. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:27:43 +0200, Joost van der Waa typed this message:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >>> The other links are known to me, but they only refer to the
    >>> installation of the Nvidia drivers _after_ the installation of Suse.
    >>> The problem is that the installation of Suse itself goes wrong :-(
    >>> Even text mode doesn't properly, I get huge characters.

    >> Mmm. That is a first. Enter vga=ask as a boot option. That will give
    >> you the option to enter a vga mode yourself.
    >>

    >> houghi

    > Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?
    >
    > Joost

    I think on your boot screen you need to specify a vga

    VGA Resolution Codes for GRUB & Lilo
    Colours 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x1024 1600x1200
    --------+--------------------------------------------------------------
    4 bits | ? ? 0x302 ? ? ? ?
    8 bits | 0x300 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x161 0x307 0x31C
    15 bits | ? 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x162 0x319 0x31D
    16 bits | ? 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x163 0x31A 0x31E
    24 bits | ? 0x312 0x315 0x318 ? 0x31B 0x31F
    32 bits | ? ? ? ? 0x164 ?

    or

    --- Depth --
    Colors bits 640x480 800×600 1024×768 1152×864 1280×1024 1600×1200
    256 8 vga=769 vga=771 vga=773 vga=353 vga=775 vga=796
    32000 ? vga=784 vga=787 vga=790 vga= ? vga=793 vga= ?
    65000 16 vga=785 vga=788 vga=791 vga=355 vga=794 vga=798
    16.7M 24 vga=786 vga=789 vga=792 vga=795 vga=799

    For my installation the default cli for Boot: vga=0x314

    After installation I corrected the screen resolution using Sax2.

  12. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    noi ance wrote:
    >>> Mmm. That is a first. Enter vga=ask as a boot option. That will give
    >>> you the option to enter a vga mode yourself.
    >>>

    >>> houghi

    >> Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?
    >>
    >> Joost

    > I think on your boot screen you need to specify a vga

    No 'need' to do so. It is an option. With vga=ask you can select it
    yourself without the need to have the list next to you, which will be
    much easier if you just need it for the installation.

    Also there are more options then what you just showed.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  13. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Sound like you need to set the correct Framebuffer module. Grub being a
    DOS or real-mode program use the standard DOS vesa commands for your
    graphic card. But in the protected mode the vesa fb commands are not
    standardize, and sometime they must be emulated. So, Linux sometime has
    a hard time choosing which FB module to load. And when fb module is
    active for the first time Linux may choose a safe "VGA" or even "CGA"
    mode.

    So, to change this: you have two options.

    First, try the "sax2" command. This program can alter the video and
    has a testing mode to check if the mode can be set.

    or second, set the video up manually by

    1. Boot system in "Text Mode"

    2. Find the name of the correct of your FB for your graphic card.

    3. Load module by using the "modprobe ", and replacing
    the "" which the correct module name.

    4. Check for a file "/etc/fb.modes" and see what modes you can use.

    5. Try "fbset -v " to set what the current values are.

    6. Then "fbset --test -v mode" mode name will be in quote from
    the mode list in step 4.

    7. If FBset command reports no error, alter the Grub load parameter
    to load module and set fb mode you want from set 6. Or better
    yet (a safety factor) add another grub entry with the updated load
    parameter, until you find out this mode work corectly.

    Then reboot and you should have the graphica mode that you want.

    In <4883088c$0$743$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, Joost van der Waa writes:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    >currently runs 10.3.
    >The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    >by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    >When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    >whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    >1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    >I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    >typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    >2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    >resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    >falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >
    >Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    >card)?
    >
    >Joost

  14. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    anon wrote:
    > Sound like you need to set the correct Framebuffer module. Grub being a

    Please do not toppost.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  15. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    What is "toppost"? Making a reply is not "toppost"!

    And for you! Who set you up as the internet posting guidlines police!

    ]n , houghi writes:
    >anon wrote:
    >> Sound like you need to set the correct Framebuffer module. Grub being a

    >Please do not toppost.
    >
    >houghi
    >--
    > We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    > On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    >To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    > We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  16. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    In article <6XYgk.252230$SV4.171603@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, anon@anon.org says...
    > What is "toppost"? Making a reply is not "toppost"!

    What you're doing, foam duck.

    > And for you! Who set you up as the internet posting guidlines police!

    The Central Committee. Who are you to question his authority, foam
    duck?

    Buh bye. Plonk.

    Bill

  17. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Bill wrote:-

    >In article <6XYgk.252230$SV4.171603@bgtnsc04-
    >news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, anon@anon.org says...
    >> What is "toppost"? Making a reply is not "toppost"!

    > What you're doing, foam duck.

    That's an insult to foam ducks everywhere.

    >> And for you! Who set you up as the internet posting guidlines police!
    >>

    > The Central Committee.

    Fluffy the cat's appointed a Central Committee to handle Usenet? Now
    that's quite an interesting development.

    >Who are you to question his authority, foam
    >duck?

    If the Foam Duck Anti-Defamation Society calls, you're taking it.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32 | | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0 32bit
    | openSUSE 10.2 64bit | openSUSE 10.3 64bit | openSUSE 11.0 64bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  18. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    anon wrote:
    > What is "toppost"?

    Use google to find out.

    > Making a reply is not "toppost"!

    You are doing it wrong!

    > And for you! Who set you up as the internet posting guidlines police!

    So you do know that toposting is about posting guidelines. That means
    you know what posting is. That also means you know that it is unwanted,
    yet you decide not to follow the standard guidelines.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  19. MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:11:52 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >Martin wrote:
    >>>Joost I have a different problem, which is probably an old one.
    >>>I am in NL too. I have a KPN Alcatel Speed Touch (ISDN) ADSL modem. I can't find
    >>>out how to configure it.

    >> I should have mentioned that it is MXSTREAM that I am trying to configure.

    >Is that the USB modem or the ethernet one? (To all others, there is an
    >ethernet one that doesn't have the connection settings on the machine)

    I have the Ethernet modem. I've changed the subject.

    I googled and found others had had the same problem with MXSTREAM years ago, but
    I never found the solution. KPN provide set up instructions for Windows and Mac
    but nothing else.
    --

    Martin

  20. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:
    > I have the Ethernet modem. I've changed the subject.
    >
    > I googled and found others had had the same problem with MXSTREAM years ago, but
    > I never found the solution. KPN provide set up instructions for Windows and Mac
    > but nothing else.

    Is that the modem where you need to put the login and password on the
    machine? If so, you need to use Roaring Penguin (RP-PPPoE)
    http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe

    houghi