install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse ; Martin wrote: > I don't have an XS4all subscription, but I am thinking of changing to them. The huge advantage of XS4All is that they are not afraid of Linux. Also they are the oldest public provider in the Netherlands ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 72 of 72

  1. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:
    > I don't have an XS4all subscription, but I am thinking of changing to them.

    The huge advantage of XS4All is that they are not afraid of Linux. Also
    they are the oldest public provider in the Netherlands and have a bit of
    a hacking background.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/15jaar/geschiedenis.php

    Also they are pretty much against the Scientology Church.

    An other plus is that you will get ssh access to their server. Something
    not many providers will do.

    Check out their newsgroups news:xs4all.* which are accesible from many
    servers. If you read the above URL, you will notce one name 'Cor Bosman'
    who still posts ins some xs4all newsroups.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  2. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:42:34 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >Martin wrote:
    >> I don't have an XS4all subscription, but I am thinking of changing to them.

    >The huge advantage of XS4All is that they are not afraid of Linux. Also
    >they are the oldest public provider in the Netherlands and have a bit of
    >a hacking background.
    >http://www.xs4all.nl/15jaar/geschiedenis.php

    I hope they don't hack your account internally twice and claim you must have
    given somebody your password too.

    >Also they are pretty much against the Scientology Church.

    and Jehova's Witnesses?

    --

    Martin

  3. Re: For the guideline to posting

    anon wrote:
    > As for topposting, all newsgroup programs are designed for topposting and
    > even those some here who want to force others to there will.

    This newsgroup is not moderated and we're not forcing you to do
    anything. Just as you're free to top-post, I'm also free to plonk you.

    *plonk*

  4. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    anon wrote:
    > For a server why even use a video card. You could of used a remote
    > or network installer without the need for a video card or even a
    > keyboard/mouse. That's the way we build Linux Beowulf clusters
    > farms.
    >
    > Now, SuSE, some where between version 6.3 and 7 (pre-Novell), started
    > to adopted a new hardware policy. That is, SuSE will no longer support
    > older hardware. Even if that means altering the software such as the
    > kernel to remove that hardware support. In your case, version 10.3 has
    > the FrameBuffer module for the "Riva TNT graphics card" and in version
    > 11.0 it seams that the module has be removed.
    >
    > As for 10.3. You might have tried to find the Framebuffer module in
    > 10.3 and tried to load it manual using "modprobe" in version 11.0. It
    > may have worked if version 11 does not verify the module version, but
    > with some people pushing for GPL-only modules, the verification may be
    > active in version 11.

    I now have a Riva TNT2 Model64 in my server, works fine. The old card
    with the problems was a Viper 770, with I think almost the same chipset.....

    Joost

  5. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    anon wrote:
    > For a server why even use a video card. You could of used a remote
    > or network installer without the need for a video card or even a
    > keyboard/mouse. That's the way we build Linux Beowulf clusters
    > farms.
    >
    > Now, SuSE, some where between version 6.3 and 7 (pre-Novell), started
    > to adopted a new hardware policy. That is, SuSE will no longer support
    > older hardware. Even if that means altering the software such as the
    > kernel to remove that hardware support. In your case, version 10.3 has
    > the FrameBuffer module for the "Riva TNT graphics card" and in version
    > 11.0 it seams that the module has be removed.
    >
    > As for 10.3. You might have tried to find the Framebuffer module in
    > 10.3 and tried to load it manual using "modprobe" in version 11.0. It
    > may have worked if version 11 does not verify the module version, but
    > with some people pushing for GPL-only modules, the verification may be
    > active in version 11.

    As for the remote installer: I did try to get that sort of things up and
    running (VNC and the like), but I always found it too slow and thus
    irritating. I have a nice KVM which enables me to switch between my for
    pc's: my current server, my test server (that's the one with the
    problems), my normal pc and my laptop. Works great.

    Joost

  6. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:
    >>The huge advantage of XS4All is that they are not afraid of Linux. Also
    >>they are the oldest public provider in the Netherlands and have a bit of
    >>a hacking background.
    >>http://www.xs4all.nl/15jaar/geschiedenis.php

    > I hope they don't hack your account internally twice and claim you must have
    > given somebody your password too.

    They are hackers, not script kiddies.

    >>Also they are pretty much against the Scientology Church.

    > and Jehova's Witnesses?

    If they are against freedom of speech and such, sure.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  7. Re: For the guideline to posting

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:22:31 +0000, anon wrote:

    > As for topposting, all newsgroup programs are designed for topposting
    > and even those some here who want to force others to there will. That to
    > me is call trying to enslave people not asllow the freedom of ideas.
    > And most people who see others cutting people down like this group does
    > for topposting just skip this group. That is, most people care less how
    > you post, just that you do not cut people down. For any reason, period.
    >
    > As I have stated the group moderated, all newsgroup today are moderated,
    > it just that most moderator do not get there hands too dirty, they use
    > bots, unless they are called upon to do so. And you can do a search and
    > find the moderator but you may not like what he says about the informal
    > rules that some here want to try to enforce.

    My killfile has a place specially made for you.
    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  8. Re: For the guideline to posting

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    >> As for topposting, all newsgroup programs are designed for topposting

    Mine is not. Error 1.

    >> and even those some here who want to force others to there will.

    It is not 'some'. Error 2.

    >> That to
    >> me is call trying to enslave people not asllow the freedom of ideas.

    ideas have nothing to do with it. Error 3.

    >> And most people who see others cutting people down like this group does
    >> for topposting just skip this group.

    People not willing to adept to the generic rules should skip this group.
    Error 4.

    >> That is, most people care less how
    >> you post, just that you do not cut people down. For any reason, period.

    Killfiling is just a way not to repond to certain people and is a
    personal choice and freedom of the person and can not be enforced. Error
    5,

    >> As I have stated the group moderated, all newsgroup today are moderated,

    No, they are not. Error 6.

    >> it just that most moderator do not get there hands too dirty, they use
    >> bots, unless they are called upon to do so.

    There is no moderator, just common sence. Error 7.

    >> And you can do a search and
    >> find the moderator

    No you can not. Error 8.

    >> but you may not like what he says about the informal
    >> rules that some here want to try to enforce.

    The rule of not caring about topposting is a rule YOU want to enforce.
    Error 9.

    This is NOT a moderated web forum. This is Usenet.

    > My killfile has a place specially made for you.

    Yeah, that is where people like this end up eventualy. Because all they
    care about is what they want to say, not about how people will read it.
    The person is an idiot who can not admit to be wrong.

    What he should do is go to an English Liverpool fan club and start
    singing how great Man United is and then complain about free speech
    after he is released from hospital. :-D

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  9. Re: For the guideline to posting

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:42:36 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Yeah, that is where people like this end up eventualy. Because all they
    > care about is what they want to say, not about how people will read it.
    > The person is an idiot who can not admit to be wrong.
    >
    > What he should do is go to an English Liverpool fan club and start
    > singing how great Man United is and then complain about free speech
    > after he is released from hospital. :-D
    >
    > houghi

    No, no! The one error in your posting
    Its Liverpool / Everton, or
    Man United / Man City

    That would be *much* more fun

  10. Re: For the guideline to posting

    central wrote:
    > No, no! The one error in your posting
    > Its Liverpool / Everton, or
    > Man United / Man City
    >
    > That would be *much* more fun

    I thought Man United and Man City where the same team.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then
    we discovered graphics, and we thought it was television. With the World
    Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure. -- Douglas Adams.

  11. Re: For the guideline to posting

    houghi wrote:
    >> My killfile has a place specially made for you.

    > Yeah, that is where people like this end up eventualy. Because all they
    > care about is what they want to say, not about how people will read it.
    > The person is an idiot who can not admit to be wrong.

    Nah, name calling is not appropriate in this case. Ignorant maybe.
    Killfiles are not really only for idiots; mine has quite a few geniuses
    in it too.

  12. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:39:59 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >>

    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> I would still go for the software option. The modem ain't broke and if
    >>> it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    >> It certainly is too slow for many of today's connections.

    >As long as he hasn't ADSL2+ it is fast enough. And when he gets ADSL2+,
    >he will need to change.
    >
    >>> Just found this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rj/mxstream/

    >> As I said: it is possible to get it going. I have used it in the early
    >> days myself. But you need to do hand-edits instead of easy config via YaST.

    >RP-PPPoE is pretty easy. I have used it myself. Pretty straightforward.
    >
    >>> Also the modem can be turned into amachine with buildin PPPoE
    >>> http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm

    >> Remember that in NL you don't use PPPoE. PPPoA is used here.
    >> Your modem either converts PPPoA to PPTP (that is what the old modem does)
    >> or handles the PPPoA itself and routes or bridges it to ethernet.
    >> You can indeed convert home modems to pro and then use what is sometimes
    >> called "SIP-SPOOF" to let the modem transfer all packets to the PC without
    >> using NAT, but be careful: this no longer works with certain lines and those
    >> very old modems, depending on the router at the provider's end of the
    >> connection. When it is a Juniper (not a Cisco) it won't work.

    >Well, it is worth a try. When I had mine I did it and it wored, but I
    >saw no huge advantage over using RP-PPPoE.
    >
    >> Replacing the modem then is the easiest solution.

    >Sure it is,. What is even easier is payeing somebody to configure
    >everything for you while you are at it. I still think it is very easy to
    >use RP-PPPoE to make the connection.

    If you have been waiting for the happy ending -
    I was given a Sitecom Router. I set this up for and with WinXP.
    Running it with Susie Linux is simple. Thanks to everybody who helped.
    --

    Martin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4