install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse ; Also, Since you say you are currently running 10.3 why not copy the "vga=" value from the 10.3 grub boot line and inserted this value into the SuSE 10.0 boot line. Now, if this value says "vga=normal" then you system ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

Thread: install problems with Suse 11.0

  1. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Also,
    Since you say you are currently running 10.3 why not copy the "vga=" value
    from the 10.3 grub boot line and inserted this value into the SuSE 10.0
    boot line.

    Now, if this value says "vga=normal" then you system boot up into text-mode.
    Then depending upon your startup options aka X11 or command-line, the system
    switches the graphical mode. Use "sax2" in either case will give you access
    to alter the video modes.

    Plus, in order for your see any Graphic mode your card must fully support it
    or an extra video driver has to be installed to simulate the special mode.
    So, what is this special Graphic mode? This way we can give you the
    video number or may be we can give you the location where you can find
    the driver.

    In <4883088c$0$743$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, Joost van der Waa writes:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    >currently runs 10.3.
    >The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    >by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    >When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    >whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    >1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    >I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    >typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    >2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    >resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    >falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >
    >Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    >card)?
    >
    >Joost



  2. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On 2008-07-22, anon wrote:

    > Also,


    >>Hi there,


    Congrats, you're number 4 on my permanent plonker's list.

    **



    --
    The sand remembers once there was beach and sunshine
    but chip is warm too
    -- haiku from Effector Online, Volume 1, Number 6

  3. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:

    You could have received a Fritz!box for free if you would have renewed your
    subscription at XS4all.......

    I never had any problem with that one.

    Derk



  4. TO: Rikishi 42

    WHO CARES!!! And this newsgroup is about SuSE's version of Lunix and
    its application! Not about your bad attitude!

    I have ask a few questions over the years in this newsgroup, with no replys
    not even a comment where I might find the answer. And when I am willing
    to give an answer that may help a person. All the people who know think
    they know how to post can do is cut me down! Tis! Tis!

    With poster like YOU, its no wonder why SuSE is having problems! And no
    wants to download or install SuSE! What people want is an answer without
    all of the cry babes jumping on the people with the answers!

    But in looking at your post lately, I think your the type that prefers to
    laugh at other people instead of helping them with their problems!!!


    In <4phhl5-ggl.ln1@whisper.very.softly>, Rikishi 42 writes:
    >On 2008-07-22, anon wrote:
    >
    >> Also,

    >
    >>>Hi there,

    >
    >Congrats, you're number 4 on my permanent plonker's list.
    >
    >**
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >The sand remembers once there was beach and sunshine
    >but chip is warm too
    >-- haiku from Effector Online, Volume 1, Number 6



  5. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0


    >
    > In <4883088c$0$743$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, Joost van der Waa writes:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    >> currently runs 10.3.
    >> The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    >> by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    >> When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    >> whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    >> 1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    >> I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    >> typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    >> 2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    >> resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    >> falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >>
    >> Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    >> card)?
    >>
    >> Joost

    >


    anon wrote:
    > Also,
    > Since you say you are currently running 10.3 why not copy the "vga="

    value
    > from the 10.3 grub boot line and inserted this value into the SuSE 10.0
    > boot line.
    >
    > Now, if this value says "vga=normal" then you system boot up into

    text-mode.
    > Then depending upon your startup options aka X11 or command-line, the

    system
    > switches the graphical mode. Use "sax2" in either case will give you

    access
    > to alter the video modes.
    >
    > Plus, in order for your see any Graphic mode your card must fully

    support it
    > or an extra video driver has to be installed to simulate the special

    mode.
    > So, what is this special Graphic mode? This way we can give you the
    > video number or may be we can give you the location where you can find
    > the driver.


    I copied the VGA-modes from the current 10.3 installation but any option
    will bring the same result: the install starting up in CGA text or
    graphics mode.
    BTW it is a normal Riva TNT graphics card. Nothing special, just a good
    old fashioned 2-d card, typically ideal for a server....

    Joost

  6. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    >>> presented things work.

    >> With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.

    >
    > He only needs text mode stuff, because he needs to install in text mode.
    >
    > houghi

    Hi Houghi and Nikos,

    Yes, I do get all the video modes when I add vga=ask at the boot, and i
    tried some (especially those from my current grub menu). But whatever
    option I choose, I end up in CGA-mode, either graphical (completely
    unreadable) or text (to large to give me a real option to install).

    So, it is time to switch to the last option: put in another card. I
    think I still have some old hardware left......

    Thanks for all the feedback.

    Joost

  7. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>>> I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    >>>> presented things work.
    >>> With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.

    >>
    >> He only needs text mode stuff, because he needs to install in text mode.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Hi Houghi and Nikos,
    >
    > Yes, I do get all the video modes when I add vga=ask at the boot, and i
    > tried some (especially those from my current grub menu). But whatever
    > option I choose, I end up in CGA-mode, either graphical (completely
    > unreadable) or text (to large to give me a real option to install).
    >
    > So, it is time to switch to the last option: put in another card. I
    > think I still have some old hardware left......


    Can someone here check which framebuffer drivers OS 11 uses? See, I
    don't have it installed anymore :P If it's good ol' vesafb, the Riva
    should have no problems. If it's the new uvesafb (the one that runs the
    BIOS in userspace), then I'm not so sure; that one might not be able to
    deal with very old VESA BIOSes.

    You can proceed in text mode though and install using the text-mode
    installer and try to fix this after the system is installed (by a kernel
    recompile to use vesafb instead of uvesafb).

  8. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    >>> presented things work.

    >> With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.

    >
    > He only needs text mode stuff, because he needs to install in text mode.
    >
    > houghi

    I replaced the good old Viper 770 with some tnt2 clone card, and now it
    starts OK. Less video modes available (800x600, 1024x768 or 1600x1200,
    nothing in between), but at least I get something on my screen which is
    usable.

    Joost

  9. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>>> I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    >>>> presented things work.
    >>> With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.

    >>
    >> He only needs text mode stuff, because he needs to install in text mode.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > I replaced the good old Viper 770 with some tnt2 clone card, and now it
    > starts OK. Less video modes available (800x600, 1024x768 or 1600x1200,
    > nothing in between), but at least I get something on my screen which is
    > usable.


    As I mentioned in another post, try "hwinfo --vbe" and see if actually
    does support more modes. The auto-detection knows only about official
    VESA modes. The card might have non-standard modes; those you find out
    with hwinfo.

  10. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>>>> I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    >>>>> presented things work.
    >>>> With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.
    >>>
    >>> He only needs text mode stuff, because he needs to install in text mode.
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> Hi Houghi and Nikos,
    >>
    >> Yes, I do get all the video modes when I add vga=ask at the boot, and
    >> i tried some (especially those from my current grub menu). But
    >> whatever option I choose, I end up in CGA-mode, either graphical
    >> (completely unreadable) or text (to large to give me a real option to
    >> install).
    >>
    >> So, it is time to switch to the last option: put in another card. I
    >> think I still have some old hardware left......

    >
    > Can someone here check which framebuffer drivers OS 11 uses? See, I
    > don't have it installed anymore :P If it's good ol' vesafb, the Riva
    > should have no problems. If it's the new uvesafb (the one that runs the
    > BIOS in userspace), then I'm not so sure; that one might not be able to
    > deal with very old VESA BIOSes.
    >
    > You can proceed in text mode though and install using the text-mode
    > installer and try to fix this after the system is installed (by a kernel
    > recompile to use vesafb instead of uvesafb).

    The problem is that text mode does not work too. I end up in CGA(!)
    resolution, which is rather unusable because of the fact that the
    majority of the dialogues goes beyond the bottom of the screen....

    Joost

  11. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>>>> I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    >>>>> presented things work.
    >>>> With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.
    >>>
    >>> He only needs text mode stuff, because he needs to install in text mode.
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> I replaced the good old Viper 770 with some tnt2 clone card, and now
    >> it starts OK. Less video modes available (800x600, 1024x768 or
    >> 1600x1200, nothing in between), but at least I get something on my
    >> screen which is usable.

    >
    > As I mentioned in another post, try "hwinfo --vbe" and see if actually
    > does support more modes. The auto-detection knows only about official
    > VESA modes. The card might have non-standard modes; those you find out
    > with hwinfo.

    The Viper 770 (first version) supports many modes and high resolutions
    (up to 1600x1200). The monitor is a classic 19" CRT which is capable of
    displaying even higher resolutions.
    The install is now already running with my other video card, so I won't
    be able to check the available modes with my old card..

    Joost

  12. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > As I mentioned in another post, try "hwinfo --vbe" and see if actually
    > does support more modes. The auto-detection knows only about official
    > VESA modes. The card might have non-standard modes; those you find out
    > with hwinfo.


    He can do that once he has it installed/
    1) Instal with the alternative card
    2) Put in the old card and see if you can get anything there.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  13. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > The Viper 770 (first version) supports many modes and high resolutions
    > (up to 1600x1200). The monitor is a classic 19" CRT which is capable of
    > displaying even higher resolutions.
    > The install is now already running with my other video card, so I won't
    > be able to check the available modes with my old card..


    Anyway, if this machine is going to be console/framebuffer based, I
    suggest getting a Matrox G200. It's old and hard to find new. On ebay
    you'll find it for about 15 bucks (euros). It's the best card for the
    framebuffer, even today. It even has *accelerated* framebuffer support
    with lots of modes supported. You can even watch DVD movies in full
    color, high definition in a console framebuffer with it using mplayer
    (it natively supports acceleration of this card in a console).

    I think for 15 bucks it's a lot of "framebuffer power"

  14. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >> The Viper 770 (first version) supports many modes and high resolutions
    >> (up to 1600x1200). The monitor is a classic 19" CRT which is capable
    >> of displaying even higher resolutions.
    >> The install is now already running with my other video card, so I
    >> won't be able to check the available modes with my old card..

    >
    > Anyway, if this machine is going to be console/framebuffer based, I
    > suggest getting a Matrox G200. It's old and hard to find new. On ebay
    > you'll find it for about 15 bucks (euros). It's the best card for the
    > framebuffer, even today. It even has *accelerated* framebuffer support
    > with lots of modes supported. You can even watch DVD movies in full
    > color, high definition in a console framebuffer with it using mplayer
    > (it natively supports acceleration of this card in a console).
    >
    > I think for 15 bucks it's a lot of "framebuffer power"

    For a server even too much.... :-)

  15. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> Anyway, if this machine is going to be console/framebuffer based, I
    >> suggest getting a Matrox G200. It's old and hard to find new. On
    >> ebay you'll find it for about 15 bucks (euros). It's the best card
    >> for the framebuffer, even today. It even has *accelerated*
    >> framebuffer support with lots of modes supported. You can even watch
    >> DVD movies in full color, high definition in a console framebuffer
    >> with it using mplayer (it natively supports acceleration of this card
    >> in a console).
    >>
    >> I think for 15 bucks it's a lot of "framebuffer power"

    > For a server even too much.... :-)


    Well, that was the geek in me, I guess. For example, in our "infamous"
    server at University, I'm streaming movies through SSH using VLC's
    libcaca ASCII-art renderer... No sound though, need to work on that :P

  16. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Well, that was the geek in me, I guess. For example, in our "infamous"
    > server at University, I'm streaming movies through SSH using VLC's
    > libcaca ASCII-art renderer... No sound though, need to work on that :P


    Use the speaker of the PC.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  17. Re: For the guideline to posting

    In article news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, anon@anon.org says...

    Dayem, I thought I bozo binned your lame ass.

    All fixed now. But while I'm here...


    >
    >
    > Plus, there are exceptions that allow topposting. So, it is truly a waste of
    > time to even try to enforce.


    That's why top posters rarely get answered. They're just quietly
    bozo binned. Maybe sometimes not so quietly.

    > And finally, this newsgroup is moderated (most are) and that person would
    > pull any post that does not fit the posting guideline they have.


    There is no moderator for this group. Now remind your keeper to
    tell you to breathe, your turning blue.

    > So, I guess
    > the way I post fit within these guidelines, since it still here.


    And you can't fix stupid.

    Buh, Bye.

    Bill

  18. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    For a server why even use a video card. You could of used a remote
    or network installer without the need for a video card or even a
    keyboard/mouse. That's the way we build Linux Beowulf clusters
    farms.

    Now, SuSE, some where between version 6.3 and 7 (pre-Novell), started
    to adopted a new hardware policy. That is, SuSE will no longer support
    older hardware. Even if that means altering the software such as the
    kernel to remove that hardware support. In your case, version 10.3 has
    the FrameBuffer module for the "Riva TNT graphics card" and in version
    11.0 it seams that the module has be removed.

    As for 10.3. You might have tried to find the Framebuffer module in
    10.3 and tried to load it manual using "modprobe" in version 11.0. It
    may have worked if version 11 does not verify the module version, but
    with some people pushing for GPL-only modules, the verification may be
    active in version 11.


    In <48864fc7$0$735$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, Joost van der Waa writes:
    >
    >>
    >> In <4883088c$0$743$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, Joost van der Waa writes:
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I am having some problems installing Suse 11.0 32-bit on a pc which
    >>> currently runs 10.3.
    >>> The problem is that the graphic mode is not properly supported, either
    >>> by my video card (nvidia riva tnt) or by Suse.
    >>> When I start the dvd the grub bootloader screen comes up OK, but
    >>> whatever install option I choose, I end up in a unusable install screen:
    >>> 1. In graphical mode (in any resolution from 640x480 to whatever higher)
    >>> I end up in a lot of green squares, or some rubbish on the screen,
    >>> typically in EGA-mode resolution (looks familiar as a first time pc-user);
    >>> 2. In text mode I end up in the screen being addressed in a very low
    >>> resolution (again something like EGA), where half of the information
    >>> falls of the screen, making any navigation impossible.
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody have a clue how to solve this (beside replacing the video
    >>> card)?
    >>>
    >>> Joost

    >>

    >
    >anon wrote:
    > > Also,
    > > Since you say you are currently running 10.3 why not copy the "vga="

    >value
    > > from the 10.3 grub boot line and inserted this value into the SuSE 10.0
    > > boot line.
    > >
    > > Now, if this value says "vga=normal" then you system boot up into

    >text-mode.
    > > Then depending upon your startup options aka X11 or command-line, the

    >system
    > > switches the graphical mode. Use "sax2" in either case will give you

    >access
    > > to alter the video modes.
    > >
    > > Plus, in order for your see any Graphic mode your card must fully

    >support it
    > > or an extra video driver has to be installed to simulate the special

    >mode.
    > > So, what is this special Graphic mode? This way we can give you the
    > > video number or may be we can give you the location where you can find
    > > the driver.

    >
    >I copied the VGA-modes from the current 10.3 installation but any option
    >will bring the same result: the install starting up in CGA text or
    >graphics mode.
    >BTW it is a normal Riva TNT graphics card. Nothing special, just a good
    >old fashioned 2-d card, typically ideal for a server....
    >
    >Joost



  19. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:54:06 +0200, Derk wrote:

    >Martin wrote:
    >
    >You could have received a Fritz!box for free if you would have renewed your
    >subscription at XS4all.......
    >
    >I never had any problem with that one.


    I don't have an XS4all subscription, but I am thinking of changing to them.
    --

    Martin


  20. Re: For the guideline to posting

    As for topposting, all newsgroup programs are designed for topposting and
    even those some here who want to force others to there will. That to me
    is call trying to enslave people not asllow the freedom of ideas. And most
    people who see others cutting people down like this group does for topposting
    just skip this group. That is, most people care less how you post, just that
    you do not cut people down. For any reason, period.

    As I have stated the group moderated, all newsgroup today are moderated,
    it just that most moderator do not get there hands too dirty, they use bots,
    unless they are called upon to do so. And you can do a search and find the
    moderator but you may not like what he says about the informal rules that
    some here want to try to enforce.


    In <20080721222628.0cca6b9f@efreet.linux>, Kevin Nathan writes:
    >On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:37:10 GMT
    >anon@anon.org (anon) wrote:
    >
    >>And finally, this newsgroup is moderated (most are) and that person
    >>would pull any post that does not fit the posting guideline they have.
    >>So, I guess the way I post fit within these guidelines, since it still
    >>here.
    >>

    >
    >This newsgroup has an informal policy of no top-posting, among other
    >things. You can most assuredly ignore that all you like, but you will
    >find that the people, on this group, that can best help you will ignore
    >your posts if you insist on this. It's your choice.
    >
    >We are self-moderated -- follow our requested guidelines if you want
    >help. If you really aren't interested in getting help, post however you
    >would prefer. Again, it's your choice. :-)
    >
    >
    >--
    >Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    >Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/
    >
    >Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    >The command line is the front line.
    >Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae
    > 10:22pm up 2:01, 15 users, load average: 0.40, 0.41, 0.48
    >



+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast