install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on install problems with Suse 11.0 - Suse ; On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:41:43 +0200, houghi wrote: >Martin wrote: >> I have the Ethernet modem. I've changed the subject. >> >> I googled and found others had had the same problem with MXSTREAM years ago, but >> I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

  1. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:41:43 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >Martin wrote:
    >> I have the Ethernet modem. I've changed the subject.
    >>
    >> I googled and found others had had the same problem with MXSTREAM years ago, but
    >> I never found the solution. KPN provide set up instructions for Windows and Mac
    >> but nothing else.

    >Is that the modem where you need to put the login and password on the
    >machine?

    On the PC.

    > If so, you need to use Roaring Penguin (RP-PPPoE)
    >http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe

    Thanks, I'll try it.
    --

    Martin

  2. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:
    >> If so, you need to use Roaring Penguin (RP-PPPoE)
    >>http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe

    > Thanks, I'll try it.

    Should be on the CD/DVD and installable with YaST.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  3. For the guideline to posting

    1. First restate the problem in you own word.

    2. Provide Intro and past attempt to solve the problem with
    references (see step 4)

    3. Provide your own solution to problem

    4. Provide off-site references used from 2.

    5. Provide the 2 line article reference of the post that your making the
    reply to. Note: reference must provide true email address.

    such asthe following exaceopt the email address is ERROR illegal

    In , Bill writes:
    In article <6XYgk.252230$SV4.171603@bgtnsc04-

    6. Do not provide a quote of post. Waste of resources.

    Also, since the DCMA. Providing a quote of the article may violate the
    international copyright laws, unless you have in writing a notarize
    permission from the original poster. That enforces the reason for step 1,
    it also proves what part you are answering. And who gives their
    correct email address, with spam bots, ID thieves, this is not a
    good idea in todays world. So most poster violates step 5.

    The reply poster just want to help a person and not follow a set of rules
    that are mainly meaningless. Except to prove that you understand the
    problem and that you are not violating any copyright laws.

    And these guidelines were created back in the 80s-90s and RFC 1855,
    when bandwidth and storage were high price. Also, the guidelines sound
    more like writing a scientific paper. But most people who are using the net
    today are not in college. And they do not care how a person post (except
    for bad language) so long as it on topic (in this case, SuSE Linux and the
    apps that can be execute using SuSE Linux) and it may have the answer
    to the problem they are seeking. Not about a person waste time to jump of
    someone for not following some outdate posting Guideline, there are other
    newsgroups for that. And it is a waste of resources and everybody
    time by casusing them to read that post unstead of providing an answer
    to the original poster. That is, most people just want the answer.

    Plus, there are exceptions that allow topposting. So, it is truly a waste of
    time to even try to enforce.

    And finally, this newsgroup is moderated (most are) and that person would
    pull any post that does not fit the posting guideline they have. So, I guess
    the way I post fit within these guidelines, since it still here.

  4. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:

    >>> I should have mentioned that it is MXSTREAM that I am trying to configure.

    >>Is that the USB modem or the ethernet one? (To all others, there is an
    >>ethernet one that doesn't have the connection settings on the machine)

    > I have the Ethernet modem. I've changed the subject.
    >
    > I googled and found others had had the same problem with MXSTREAM years ago, but
    > I never found the solution. KPN provide set up instructions for Windows and Mac
    > but nothing else.

    The very old first-generation modem requires the use of PPTP.
    It is possible to get this working, but it will be easier to get a newer
    generation modem that handles all of the connection in the modem and can
    be configured just as a router to the outside. The SuSE machine will need
    no special configuration for that.
    (as modems are for free on new subscriptions in the Netherlands, there is
    a large supply of them in the secondhand market. Even for ISDN. I bought
    two modems for 10 euro in may this year)

  5. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On 21 Jul 2008 16:53:22 GMT, Rob wrote:

    >Martin wrote:

    >>>Is that the USB modem or the ethernet one? (To all others, there is an
    >>>ethernet one that doesn't have the connection settings on the machine)

    >> I have the Ethernet modem. I've changed the subject.
    >>
    >> I googled and found others had had the same problem with MXSTREAM years ago, but
    >> I never found the solution. KPN provide set up instructions for Windows and Mac
    >> but nothing else.

    >The very old first-generation modem requires the use of PPTP.

    It's the black one from around 1992.

    >It is possible to get this working, but it will be easier to get a newer
    >generation modem that handles all of the connection in the modem and can
    >be configured just as a router to the outside. The SuSE machine will need
    >no special configuration for that.

    Can you recommend a specific model?

    >(as modems are for free on new subscriptions in the Netherlands, there is
    >a large supply of them in the secondhand market. Even for ISDN. I bought
    >two modems for 10 euro in may this year)

    Interested in selling one?
    --

    Martin

  6. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Rob wrote:
    > The very old first-generation modem requires the use of PPTP.

    Yep and that worked great. I had one and untill it broke, it worked
    perfectly.

    > It is possible to get this working, but it will be easier to get a newer
    > generation modem that handles all of the connection in the modem and can
    > be configured just as a router to the outside. The SuSE machine will need
    > no special configuration for that.
    > (as modems are for free on new subscriptions in the Netherlands, there is
    > a large supply of them in the secondhand market. Even for ISDN. I bought
    > two modems for 10 euro in may this year)

    I would still go for the software option. The modem ain't broke and if
    it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    Just found this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rj/mxstream/

    Also the modem can be turned into amachine with buildin PPPoE
    http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  7. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Martin wrote:
    >>The very old first-generation modem requires the use of PPTP.

    > It's the black one from around 1992.

    It is better to get rid of those anyway, as they are too slow to keep up
    with todays speeds (like 8 Megabit).

    >>It is possible to get this working, but it will be easier to get a newer
    >>generation modem that handles all of the connection in the modem and can
    >>be configured just as a router to the outside. The SuSE machine will need
    >>no special configuration for that.

    > Can you recommend a specific model?

    SpeedTouch 546i is a basic model without WiFi or VoIP.
    SpeedTouch 585i has WiFi but no VoIP.
    The current model is 780i which has WiFi and VoIP.

    >>(as modems are for free on new subscriptions in the Netherlands, there is
    >>a large supply of them in the secondhand market. Even for ISDN. I bought
    >>two modems for 10 euro in may this year)

    > Interested in selling one?

    Just look on marktplaats.nl, ebay, tweedehands.nl etc.

  8. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    houghi wrote:
    > I would still go for the software option. The modem ain't broke and if
    > it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    It certainly is too slow for many of today's connections.

    > Just found this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rj/mxstream/

    As I said: it is possible to get it going. I have used it in the early
    days myself. But you need to do hand-edits instead of easy config via YaST.

    > Also the modem can be turned into amachine with buildin PPPoE
    > http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm

    Remember that in NL you don't use PPPoE. PPPoA is used here.
    Your modem either converts PPPoA to PPTP (that is what the old modem does)
    or handles the PPPoA itself and routes or bridges it to ethernet.
    You can indeed convert home modems to pro and then use what is sometimes
    called "SIP-SPOOF" to let the modem transfer all packets to the PC without
    using NAT, but be careful: this no longer works with certain lines and those
    very old modems, depending on the router at the provider's end of the
    connection. When it is a Juniper (not a Cisco) it won't work.
    Replacing the modem then is the easiest solution.

  9. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Rob wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >> I would still go for the software option. The modem ain't broke and if
    >> it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    > It certainly is too slow for many of today's connections.

    As long as he hasn't ADSL2+ it is fast enough. And when he gets ADSL2+,
    he will need to change.

    >> Just found this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rj/mxstream/

    > As I said: it is possible to get it going. I have used it in the early
    > days myself. But you need to do hand-edits instead of easy config via YaST.

    RP-PPPoE is pretty easy. I have used it myself. Pretty straightforward.

    >> Also the modem can be turned into amachine with buildin PPPoE
    >> http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm

    > Remember that in NL you don't use PPPoE. PPPoA is used here.
    > Your modem either converts PPPoA to PPTP (that is what the old modem does)
    > or handles the PPPoA itself and routes or bridges it to ethernet.
    > You can indeed convert home modems to pro and then use what is sometimes
    > called "SIP-SPOOF" to let the modem transfer all packets to the PC without
    > using NAT, but be careful: this no longer works with certain lines and those
    > very old modems, depending on the router at the provider's end of the
    > connection. When it is a Juniper (not a Cisco) it won't work.

    Well, it is worth a try. When I had mine I did it and it wored, but I
    saw no huge advantage over using RP-PPPoE.

    > Replacing the modem then is the easiest solution.

    Sure it is,. What is even easier is payeing somebody to configure
    everything for you while you are at it. I still think it is very easy to
    use RP-PPPoE to make the connection.

    houghi
    | Artist : Doe Maar
    | Song : Het leven gaat door
    | Album : Doe Maar

  10. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    houghi wrote:

    >>> Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?
    >>>
    >>> Joost

    >> I think on your boot screen you need to specify a vga
    >>

    > No 'need' to do so. It is an option. With vga=ask you can select it
    > yourself without the need to have the list next to you, which will be
    > much easier if you just need it for the installation.
    >
    > Also there are more options then what you just showed.
    >
    > houghi

    This will be a trial and error method, just tried some and ended up in
    som CGA-resolution (worse than EGA). Maybe another card will be easier.

    Joost

  11. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On 21 Jul 2008 18:18:24 GMT, Rob wrote:

    >Martin wrote:
    >>>The very old first-generation modem requires the use of PPTP.

    >> It's the black one from around 1992.

    >It is better to get rid of those anyway, as they are too slow to keep up
    >with todays speeds (like 8 Megabit).
    >
    >>>It is possible to get this working, but it will be easier to get a newer
    >>>generation modem that handles all of the connection in the modem and can
    >>>be configured just as a router to the outside. The SuSE machine will need
    >>>no special configuration for that.

    >> Can you recommend a specific model?

    >SpeedTouch 546i is a basic model without WiFi or VoIP.
    >SpeedTouch 585i has WiFi but no VoIP.
    >The current model is 780i which has WiFi and VoIP.
    >
    >>>(as modems are for free on new subscriptions in the Netherlands, there is
    >>>a large supply of them in the secondhand market. Even for ISDN. I bought
    >>>two modems for 10 euro in may this year)

    >> Interested in selling one?

    >Just look on marktplaats.nl, ebay, tweedehands.nl etc.

    Thanks for your help.
    --

    Martin

  12. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:42:31 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >> The very old first-generation modem requires the use of PPTP.

    >Yep and that worked great. I had one and untill it broke, it worked
    >perfectly.
    >
    >> It is possible to get this working, but it will be easier to get a newer
    >> generation modem that handles all of the connection in the modem and can
    >> be configured just as a router to the outside. The SuSE machine will need
    >> no special configuration for that.
    >> (as modems are for free on new subscriptions in the Netherlands, there is
    >> a large supply of them in the secondhand market. Even for ISDN. I bought
    >> two modems for 10 euro in may this year)

    >I would still go for the software option. The modem ain't broke and if
    >it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)
    >
    >Just found this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rj/mxstream/
    >
    >Also the modem can be turned into amachine with buildin PPPoE
    >http://www.petri.co.il/upgrade_from_home_to_pro.htm

    I'll give it a try.
    --

    Martin

  13. Re: MXSTREM problem was Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:39:59 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >>

    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> I would still go for the software option. The modem ain't broke and if
    >>> it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

    >> It certainly is too slow for many of today's connections.

    >As long as he hasn't ADSL2+ it is fast enough. And when he gets ADSL2+,
    >he will need to change.

    At the moment I have an orange/online.nl basic account. It is more than fast
    enough for the rates they provide.

    --

    Martin

  14. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    In article <4885053c$0$739$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>,
    Joost.vander.waa@whipethishccnet.nl.invalid says...
    > houghi wrote:

    > >> I think on your boot screen you need to specify a vga
    > >>

    > > No 'need' to do so. It is an option. With vga=ask you can select it
    > > yourself without the need to have the list next to you, which will be
    > > much easier if you just need it for the installation.
    > >
    > > Also there are more options then what you just showed.
    > >
    > > houghi

    > This will be a trial and error method, just tried some and ended up in
    > som CGA-resolution (worse than EGA). Maybe another card will be easier.
    >
    > Joost

    This help?

    http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcodes-vga-en.htm

    Bill

  15. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    The problem is what is the size that your monitor/card can handle and
    the size you want to use. Now, SuSE and Novell has a policy to default to
    640x480 (vga) if it can not detect your video card or monitor.

    To find what the number you need check out the "Linux video mode numbers"
    on the web page:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

    Like you could enter 789 for a 800x600 with 24bit color setup or enter
    792 for a 1024x768 with 24bit color. But be warn if you choose a number
    that is wrong for your monitor you can damage your monitor. That's why
    SuSE use "sax2".

    Then edit "/boot/grub/menu.lst" and set the grub load parameters for linux
    to mode you want for system startup. Then reboot.

    In <4885053c$0$739$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, Joost van der Waa writes:
    >houghi wrote:

    >>> I think on your boot screen you need to specify a vga
    >>>

    >> No 'need' to do so. It is an option. With vga=ask you can select it
    >> yourself without the need to have the list next to you, which will be
    >> much easier if you just need it for the installation.
    >>
    >> Also there are more options then what you just showed.
    >>
    >> houghi

    >This will be a trial and error method, just tried some and ended up in
    >som CGA-resolution (worse than EGA). Maybe another card will be easier.
    >
    >Joost

  16. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >>> The other links are known to me, but they only refer to the
    >>> installation of the Nvidia drivers _after_ the installation of Suse.
    >>> The problem is that the installation of Suse itself goes wrong :-(
    >>> Even text mode doesn't properly, I get huge characters.

    >> Mmm. That is a first. Enter vga=ask as a boot option. That will give you
    >> the option to enter a vga mode yourself.
    >>

    >> houghi

    > Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?

    Make sure you have the "hwinfo" command line tool (I don't know in which
    package it comes in, but should have been installed by default).

    In a terminal, as root user, type:

    hwinfo --vbe

    Among the output you will find all resolutions and color depths
    supported by your card's BIOS, along with the number you need to pass to
    the vga= kernel parameter.

    For example, on my system, I get this list (I won't post everything,
    it's huge):

    Mode 0x0323: 1024x768 (+4096), 24 bits
    Mode 0x0324: 1280x1024 (+5120), 24 bits
    Mode 0x0343: 1400x1050 (+1408), 8 bits
    Mode 0x0344: 1400x1050 (+2816), 15 bits
    Mode 0x0345: 1400x1050 (+2816), 16 bits
    Mode 0x0346: 1400x1050 (+5632), 24 bits
    Mode 0x0373: 1600x1200 (+1600), 8 bits
    Mode 0x0374: 1600x1200 (+3200), 15 bits
    Mode 0x0375: 1600x1200 (+3200), 16 bits
    Mode 0x0376: 1600x1200 (+6400), 24 bits
    Mode 0x03d3: 1856x1392 (+1856), 8 bits
    Mode 0x03d4: 1856x1392 (+3712), 15 bits
    Mode 0x03d5: 1856x1392 (+3712), 16 bits
    Mode 0x03d6: 1856x1392 (+7424), 24 bits
    Mode 0x03e3: 1920x1440 (+1920), 8 bits
    Mode 0x03e4: 1920x1440 (+3840), 15 bits
    Mode 0x03e5: 1920x1440 (+3840), 16 bits
    Mode 0x03e6: 1920x1440 (+7680), 24 bits

    So to use 1920x1440 at 24 bit colors, I would put "vga=0x03e6" in the
    grub file.

  17. Re: For the guideline to posting

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:37:10 GMT
    anon@anon.org (anon) wrote:

    >And finally, this newsgroup is moderated (most are) and that person
    >would pull any post that does not fit the posting guideline they have.
    >So, I guess the way I post fit within these guidelines, since it still
    >here.

    This newsgroup has an informal policy of no top-posting, among other
    things. You can most assuredly ignore that all you like, but you will
    find that the people, on this group, that can best help you will ignore
    your posts if you insist on this. It's your choice.

    We are self-moderated -- follow our requested guidelines if you want
    help. If you really aren't interested in getting help, post however you
    would prefer. Again, it's your choice. :-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae

  18. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> Mmm. That is a first. Enter vga=ask as a boot option. That will give you
    >>> the option to enter a vga mode yourself.

    >> Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?

    > Make sure you have the "hwinfo" command line tool (I don't know in which
    > package it comes in, but should have been installed by default).

    He is not able to install, so there is no 'hwinfo' command line tool.

    > In a terminal, as root user, type:
    >
    > hwinfo --vbe

    Now if there is another version of openSUSE installed, he can run it by
    default as root. better run `hwinfo ==vbe|grep Mode`

    > Among the output you will find all resolutions and color depths
    > supported by your card's BIOS, along with the number you need to pass to
    > the vga= kernel parameter.
    >
    > For example, on my system, I get this list (I won't post everything,
    > it's huge):

    > Mode 0x03e6: 1920x1440 (+7680), 24 bits

    Now that is odd. I run 1920x1200 and I do the following:
    hwinfo --vbe|grep Mode|grep 1920
    However there is no 1920x1200

    > So to use 1920x1440 at 24 bit colors, I would put "vga=0x03e6" in the
    > grub file.

    I do have Mode 0x0352: 2048x1536 (+8192), 24 bits
    However I can not run that. That is the reason I sugest `vga=ask`. That
    way you get a long list that you can select from.

    I see people again and again coming up with the VGA code lists, but when
    you do `vga=ask` you get this and much more by default.

    I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    presented things work.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  19. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    houghi wrote:

    >>> Enter vga-mode: in which format? something like "640x480"?

    >> Make sure you have the "hwinfo" command line tool (I don't know in which
    >> package it comes in, but should have been installed by default).

    > He is not able to install, so there is no 'hwinfo' command line tool.

    Should be on the live DVD (I think).

    >> Among the output you will find all resolutions and color depths
    >> supported by your card's BIOS, along with the number you need to pass to
    >> the vga= kernel parameter.
    >>
    >> For example, on my system, I get this list (I won't post everything,
    >> it's huge):

    >> Mode 0x03e6: 1920x1440 (+7680), 24 bits

    > Now that is odd. I run 1920x1200 and I do the following:
    > hwinfo --vbe|grep Mode|grep 1920
    > However there is no 1920x1200

    Then I guess you're not running 1920x1200 in a console. X doesn't count
    since it does not use the VESA BIOS; only the framebuffer console does.

    >> So to use 1920x1440 at 24 bit colors, I would put "vga=0x03e6" in the
    >> grub file.

    > I do have Mode 0x0352: 2048x1536 (+8192), 24 bits
    > However I can not run that. That is the reason I sugest `vga=ask`. That
    > way you get a long list that you can select from.
    >
    > I see people again and again coming up with the VGA code lists, but when
    > you do `vga=ask` you get this and much more by default.
    >
    > I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    > presented things work.

    With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.

  20. Re: install problems with Suse 11.0

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> I have not yet seen any need to do a trial, because with me all
    >> presented things work.

    > With vga=ask I only get text mode lists; 80x25 and stuff.

    He only needs text mode stuff, because he needs to install in text mode.

    houghi