KDE 4.1 RC 1 - Suse

This is a discussion on KDE 4.1 RC 1 - Suse ; I seem to have this version of KDE on my 11.0 system. When I select it and log in all I get is a white blank screen but I do get the tips screen and no music. Close the tips ...

  1. KDE 4.1 RC 1

    I seem to have this version of KDE on my 11.0 system. When I select it
    and log in all I get is a white blank screen but I do get the tips
    screen and no music. Close the tips and nothing but a white blank
    screen, no icons, no background, no menus on any mouse clicks.

    --
    Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

  2. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > I seem to have this version of KDE on my 11.0 system. When I select it
    > and log in all I get is a white blank screen but I do get the tips
    > screen and no music. Close the tips and nothing but a white blank
    > screen, no icons, no background, no menus on any mouse clicks.

    Create a new user and try KDE4 again.

  3. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Dieter Br wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to have this version of KDE on my 11.0 system. When I select it
    >> and log in all I get is a white blank screen but I do get the tips
    >> screen and no music. Close the tips and nothing but a white blank
    >> screen, no icons, no background, no menus on any mouse clicks.
    >>

    > Create a new user and try KDE4 again.

    That worked. The new user works fine. Isn't that an odd bug? Original
    user still gets the white screen. Maybe if I delete the original user
    and recreate it? On second thought I'll will only work with KDE4.1 RC1
    with the new user in case it blows up again.

    Thanks

    --
    Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

  4. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > That worked. The new user works fine. Isn't that an odd bug? Original
    > user still gets the white screen. Maybe if I delete the original user
    > and recreate it? On second thought I'll will only work with KDE4.1 RC1
    > with the new user in case it blows up again.

    rename (not remove) ~/.kde4/ and then you can slowly place things back
    till you have the same error.

    What I do is in such cases is put 1/2 back. Then I can determine what
    part give the problem. That I put in half again, untill I find the
    guilty one.

    This is NOT the fastest way matematicaly, but it is easiest. I believe
    the ideal would be using 1/3rd or if I rememeber correctly 2/7th.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  5. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    houghi wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >> That worked. The new user works fine. Isn't that an odd bug? Original
    >> user still gets the white screen. Maybe if I delete the original user
    >> and recreate it? On second thought I'll will only work with KDE4.1 RC1
    >> with the new user in case it blows up again.

    > rename (not remove) ~/.kde4/ and then you can slowly place things back
    > till you have the same error.
    >
    > What I do is in such cases is put 1/2 back. Then I can determine what
    > part give the problem. That I put in half again, untill I find the
    > guilty one.
    >
    > This is NOT the fastest way matematicaly, but it is easiest. I believe
    > the ideal would be using 1/3rd or if I rememeber correctly 2/7th.

    1/2 is the fastest. At least algorithmically. One of the fastest
    search algorithms (binary search) uses exactly this approach.

  6. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Claude Hopper wrote:
    >>> That worked. The new user works fine. Isn't that an odd bug? Original
    >>> user still gets the white screen. Maybe if I delete the original user
    >>> and recreate it? On second thought I'll will only work with KDE4.1
    >>> RC1 with the new user in case it blows up again.

    >> rename (not remove) ~/.kde4/ and then you can slowly place things back
    >> till you have the same error.
    >>
    >> What I do is in such cases is put 1/2 back. Then I can determine what
    >> part give the problem. That I put in half again, untill I find the
    >> guilty one.
    >>
    >> This is NOT the fastest way matematicaly, but it is easiest. I believe
    >> the ideal would be using 1/3rd or if I rememeber correctly 2/7th.

    > 1/2 is the fastest. At least algorithmically. One of the fastest
    > search algorithms (binary search) uses exactly this approach.

    1/2 then 1/2 of the guilty 1/2, then 1/2 of that and 1/2 of that is fast.

    --
    Blattus Slafaly ف ٣

  7. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    houghi wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >> That worked. The new user works fine. Isn't that an odd bug? Original
    >> user still gets the white screen. Maybe if I delete the original user
    >> and recreate it? On second thought I'll will only work with KDE4.1 RC1
    >> with the new user in case it blows up again.

    > rename (not remove) ~/.kde4/ and then you can slowly place things back
    > till you have the same error.
    >
    > What I do is in such cases is put 1/2 back. Then I can determine what
    > part give the problem. That I put in half again, untill I find the
    > guilty one.
    >
    > This is NOT the fastest way matematicaly, but it is easiest. I believe
    > the ideal would be using 1/3rd or if I rememeber correctly 2/7th.
    >
    > houghi

    I renamed .kde4 to .kde4.old then logged out and logged in with KDE4.1
    RC1 and amazingly it came up normally and created a new .KDE4 directory.
    No more white screen.

    --
    Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

  8. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > I renamed .kde4 to .kde4.old then logged out and logged in with KDE4.1
    > RC1 and amazingly it came up normally and created a new .KDE4 directory.
    > No more white screen.

    That was to be expected. Now you can copy and paste things back to see
    what caused it. That way you can give feedback and we know about it and
    we might be able to file a bugreport and fix it.

    houghi
    | Artist : Doe Maar
    | Song : Radeloos
    | Album : Hees van Ahoy CD 1

  9. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    houghi wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >> I renamed .kde4 to .kde4.old then logged out and logged in with KDE4.1
    >> RC1 and amazingly it came up normally and created a new .KDE4 directory.
    >> No more white screen.
    >>

    > That was to be expected. Now you can copy and paste things back to see
    > what caused it. That way you can give feedback and we know about it and
    > we might be able to file a bugreport and fix it.
    >
    > houghi

    Is there a way to compare the directories with a cat command or something?

    --
    Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

  10. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Claude Hopper wrote:
    >>> I renamed .kde4 to .kde4.old then logged out and logged in with
    >>> KDE4.1 RC1 and amazingly it came up normally and created a new .KDE4
    >>> directory.
    >>> No more white screen.
    >>>

    >> That was to be expected. Now you can copy and paste things back to see
    >> what caused it. That way you can give feedback and we know about it and
    >> we might be able to file a bugreport and fix it.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Is there a way to compare the directories with a cat command or something?

    diff -Naur ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4.old > differences

    Then open ~/differences in KWrite or Kate. It will be a mess of course.

  11. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> That was to be expected. Now you can copy and paste things back to see
    >>> what caused it. That way you can give feedback and we know about it and
    >>> we might be able to file a bugreport and fix it.
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> Is there a way to compare the directories with a cat command or
    >> something?

    > diff -Naur ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4.old > differences
    >
    > Then open ~/differences in KWrite or Kate. It will be a mess of course.

    I looked at differences.txt with less. What am I supposed to do with all
    that garbage? It's a 5.7 meg file!

    --
    Claude Hopper ف ٣

  12. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:24:47 -0400
    Claude Hopper wrote:

    >I looked at differences.txt with less. What am I supposed to do with
    >all that garbage? It's a 5.7 meg file!

    You could also install kdiff3 and/or tkdiff (there are some others,
    too) which can be a big help in comparing differences in files and
    directories.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae

  13. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > You could also install kdiff3 and/or tkdiff (there are some others,
    > too) which can be a big help in comparing differences in files and
    > directories.

    I would go with dirdiff.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  14. Re: KDE 4.1 RC 1

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:10:19 +0200
    houghi wrote:

    >Kevin Nathan wrote:
    >> You could also install kdiff3 and/or tkdiff (there are some others,
    >> too) which can be a big help in comparing differences in files and
    >> directories.

    >I would go with dirdiff.

    Yeah, that one is good, too. I used to use it and tkdiff most of the
    time but have been using kdiff3 (and JMeld sometimes) lately. It's good
    to try them all and figure out which one works best for you. :-)

    I just discovered imediff2 for command line today and want to try that
    one, too (for text files, only, no dir capability from what I can see).

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae
    8:26pm up 2 days 0:04, 15 users, load average: 0.24, 0.52, 0.81

+ Reply to Thread