11.0 printer setup - Suse

This is a discussion on 11.0 printer setup - Suse ; The printer is on a Lantronics EPS2-100, which works well for all of the systems here. There are two printers, and HP Laserjet 4M and an HP Lawerjet 5P. Where the problem is probably also occurs with any form of ...

  1. 11.0 printer setup

    The printer is on a Lantronics EPS2-100, which works well for all of the
    systems here. There are two printers, and HP Laserjet 4M and an HP
    Lawerjet 5P.

    Where the problem is probably also occurs with any form of printer setup.
    With all openSUSE up through 10.3, you could set defaults for DPI, toner
    density, etc. in the printer setup. Assorted programs could then change if
    that was usefull. And with the 5P printer I prefer 600 DPI for the quality
    of printing.

    With 11.0, you can not set DPI and others as default for the queue, but have
    to set it each and every time you are going to print with every utility you
    want to print from. So now, my OpenOffice Writer output, unless I go
    through the steps to change it, prints at 300 when I want 600.

    Having the ability to change it each time is good, but being FORCED to
    change it every time is bad!

    The default printer drivers from HP are used by CUPS, and they have not
    changed for years.

    So another change for the worse!

    John

  2. Re: 11.0 printer setup

    John Bowling wrote:
    > The printer is on a Lantronics EPS2-100, which works well for all of the
    > systems here. There are two printers, and HP Laserjet 4M and an HP
    > Lawerjet 5P.
    >
    > Where the problem is probably also occurs with any form of printer setup.
    > With all openSUSE up through 10.3, you could set defaults for DPI, toner
    > density, etc. in the printer setup. Assorted programs could then change if
    > that was usefull. And with the 5P printer I prefer 600 DPI for the quality
    > of printing.
    >
    > With 11.0, you can not set DPI and others as default for the queue, but have
    > to set it each and every time you are going to print with every utility you
    > want to print from. So now, my OpenOffice Writer output, unless I go
    > through the steps to change it, prints at 300 when I want 600.
    >
    > Having the ability to change it each time is good, but being FORCED to
    > change it every time is bad!
    >
    > The default printer drivers from HP are used by CUPS, and they have not
    > changed for years.
    >
    > So another change for the worse!
    >
    > John

    They must have wanted everybody to go out and buy new printers. I know
    my printer is no longer listed in the database. Maybe the will fix it in
    11.1. They shouldn't have broken it in the first place.

    --
    Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

+ Reply to Thread