what's the difference between SUSE and openSUSE? - Suse

This is a discussion on what's the difference between SUSE and openSUSE? - Suse ; I have a few questions: 1) I'm told I need SUSE. But I see "openSUSE". What's the difference? 2) If I need to install SUSE for my software to work, and I install openSUSE instead, will this be compatible? 3) ...

  1. what's the difference between SUSE and openSUSE?

    I have a few questions:

    1) I'm told I need SUSE. But I see "openSUSE". What's the
    difference?

    2) If I need to install SUSE for my software to work, and I install
    openSUSE instead, will this be compatible?

    3) Where can I download SUSE?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: what's the difference between SUSE and openSUSE?

    Michelle wrote:
    > I have a few questions:
    >
    > 1) I'm told I need SUSE. But I see "openSUSE". What's the
    > difference?

    Basically, same thing. Name got changed at some point. On an old box
    here next to me, it says SUSE LINUX 9.3. and the later versions were
    then dubbed opensuse.

    > 2) If I need to install SUSE for my software to work, and I install
    > openSUSE instead, will this be compatible?

    You have no idea what it is you're supposed to install, do you? Are you
    sure that's a smart move? (Recent versions are all called opensuse. Some
    people just keep calling it Suse.)

    > 3) Where can I download SUSE?

    http://www.opensuse.org/
    Or go to a shop to buy a boxed version that comes with a completely
    useless book. (Which is what I did when I started out on "Suse".)

    Luca

  3. Re: what's the difference between SUSE and openSUSE?

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:34:20 -0700, Michelle wrote:

    > I have a few questions:
    >
    > 1) I'm told I need SUSE. But I see "openSUSE". What's the difference?
    >
    > 2) If I need to install SUSE for my software to work, and I install
    > openSUSE instead, will this be compatible?
    >
    > 3) Where can I download SUSE?
    >
    > Thanks.

    In the beginning was SuSE
    That begat SUSE
    Then followed openSUSE, SLES, and SLED.

    SUSE Linux Enterprise are Novells commersial versions.
    The one you want is probably openSUSE.

  4. Re: what's the difference between SUSE and openSUSE?

    In <86bef7e3-6bf5-46a2-8a21-d0378f64f60e@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Michelle writes:
    >I have a few questions:
    >
    >1) I'm told I need SUSE. But I see "openSUSE". What's the
    >difference?

    Basically there are 4 differences.
    1. SuSE Linux Enterprise (SUSE) is commercially product, While
    openSuSE is free with only GPL Linux software.

    2. A little system fine tuning in the SuSE system by Novell.

    3. SuSE version 10.0 while openSuse is version 11.0

    4. A. For SuSE, you become a registered user. Use of Service paks,
    activation code, etc. To learn more see:
    http://www.novell.com/linux

    B. openSuSE non-registered user. Update posted on web site.

    >2) If I need to install SUSE for my software to work, and I install
    >openSUSE instead, will this be compatible?

    Yes, they are compatible, except for updates. The fine tuning that
    is done in the SuSE might give you an edge if your using some of
    Novell other Linux software. But anyone can fine tune their own system.

    >3) Where can I download SUSE?

    SuSE: Can be purchased from Novell. Desktop start at $50.00 for 1 yea
    subscription and goes up for others types like Real-Time SuSE
    for $2,500 per year.

    OpenSuSE: http://software.openSuSE.org/

    You can download the complete DVD set or just a CD installer
    that you must burn. Time for the Installer depends upon your internet
    speeds.

    You can still purchase a boxed version around $60.00
    from Novell or other places. Includes DVD and a set of
    printed manuals.

    >Thanks.

  5. Re: what's the difference between SUSE and openSUSE?

    graham wrote:
    > In the beginning was SuSE

    There was S.u.S.E. as well before that,

    > That begat SUSE
    > Then followed openSUSE, SLES, and SLED.
    >
    > SUSE Linux Enterprise are Novells commersial versions.
    > The one you want is probably openSUSE.

    Indeed. To make it clear:
    SUSE is the short name for SUSE Linux Enterprise.

    The name originaly was just the name of the company. S.u.S.E. was the
    original name of the company and the main product was the distribution.

    That later became SuSE and then SUSE. However there was still confusion
    between the distribution intended for the business user where you buy a
    service contract and the version that was ment for the masses.

    This led to the name openSUSE for the distribution for the everyday user
    and SUSE (aka SLES and SLED) for companies who intend to deplay it
    companywide AND buy a service contract with it.

    The main advantage for a company to use SLED or SLES instead of 2 years
    you get 7 (seven) years security updates. This means often that only
    when you buy new hardware you need to install a new version of software,
    That makes it much easier to deplay.

    After those 7 years, you will have to do the updates yourself.

    The numbering of SUSE and openSUSE is linked. SUSE goes 10, 11, 12.
    openSUSE goes 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 10.3, 11.0 ...
    The openSUSE version before a new SUSE comes out is called X.0

    (everybody still awake? )

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

+ Reply to Thread