OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine - Suse ; Hi Sometime over the last few days, Kaffeine has lost the ability to play .avi files. I get the audio OK, but no video, just a blank screen. Kaffeine identifies the file as Mime: video/x-msvideo and video: ISO MPEG-4 (XVid, ...

  1. OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    Hi

    Sometime over the last few days, Kaffeine has lost the ability to play .avi
    files. I get the audio OK, but no video, just a blank screen. Kaffeine
    identifies the file as Mime: video/x-msvideo and video: ISO MPEG-4 (XVid,
    ffmpeg).

    Running kaffeine -w shows;
    Distribution...
    Found: openSUSE 11.0 (i586). The xine-lib shipped by SuSE "may lack certain
    features because of legal requirements (potential patent violation)". You
    should use the packages from here: http://packman.links2linux.de.

    I've checked with yast and xinelib is not installed, and libxine1 and
    libxine1-w32dll are both loaded from packman. The version of Kaffeine is
    also from the packman repository.

    Anyone got any ideas as to what to try next?

    Regards

  2. Re: OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    Vasilikon wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Sometime over the last few days, Kaffeine has lost the ability to play .avi
    > files. I get the audio OK, but no video, just a blank screen. Kaffeine
    > identifies the file as Mime: video/x-msvideo and video: ISO MPEG-4 (XVid,
    > ffmpeg).

    Have you played xvid videos on the same installation before? "avi" alone
    is not a format, it's just the container. Its contents can differ.

    > Running kaffeine -w shows;
    > Distribution...
    > Found: openSUSE 11.0 (i586). The xine-lib shipped by SuSE "may lack certain
    > features because of legal requirements (potential patent violation)". You
    > should use the packages from here: http://packman.links2linux.de.
    >
    > I've checked with yast and xinelib is not installed, and libxine1 and
    > libxine1-w32dll are both loaded from packman. The version of Kaffeine is
    > also from the packman repository.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas as to what to try next?

    Have you installed the windows media codecs, and the xvid codec?

    Can you view the same video in mplayer?

    Luca

  3. Re: OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    Luca wrote:

    > Vasilikon wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Sometime over the last few days, Kaffeine has lost the ability to play
    >> .avi files. I get the audio OK, but no video, just a blank screen.
    >> Kaffeine
    >> identifies the file as Mime: video/x-msvideo and video: ISO MPEG-4
    >> (XVid, ffmpeg).

    > Have you played xvid videos on the same installation before? "avi" alone
    > is not a format, it's just the container. Its contents can differ.

    Yes, Xvid videos that I have already watched are failing.

    >> Running kaffeine -w shows;
    >> Distribution...
    >> Found: openSUSE 11.0 (i586). The xine-lib shipped by SuSE "may lack
    >> certain features because of legal requirements (potential patent
    >> violation)". You should use the packages from here:
    >> http://packman.links2linux.de.
    >>
    >> I've checked with yast and xinelib is not installed, and libxine1 and
    >> libxine1-w32dll are both loaded from packman. The version of Kaffeine is
    >> also from the packman repository.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas as to what to try next?

    > Have you installed the windows media codecs, and the xvid codec?

    I have libxine1 and libxine1-w32dll installed. Is there another library that
    should be there for the xvid codec?

    > Can you view the same video in mplayer?

    I didn't have mplayer installed, so I've downloaded it. Running it from the
    console produces audio, but no video and the following output;

    MPlayer 1.0rc2-openSUSE Linux 11.0 (i686)-Packman-4.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer
    Team
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (Family: 6, Model: 4, Stepping: 2)
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
    Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
    Can't init input joystick
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
    control.

    Playing ./Top Gear - S11E02.avi.
    AVI file format detected.
    [aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
    [aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
    VIDEO: [XVID] 720x416 12bpp 25.000 fps 1460.0 kbps (178.2 kbyte/s)
    Clip info:
    Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
    Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio: 16000->192000)
    Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
    [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource
    busy
    AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Starting playback...
    VDec: vo config request - 720 x 416 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is 1.73:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    VO: [xv] 720x416 => 720x416 Planar YV12
    X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 4.3% 18 0
    X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

    The X11 error message repeats continously.

  4. Re: OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    >> Can you view the same video in mplayer?

    > I didn't have mplayer installed, so I've downloaded it. Running it from
    > the console produces audio, but no video and the following output;
    >
    > MPlayer 1.0rc2-openSUSE Linux 11.0 (i686)-Packman-4.3 (C) 2000-2007
    > MPlayer Team
    > CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (Family: 6, Model: 4, Stepping: 2)
    > CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
    > Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
    > Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
    > Can't init input joystick
    > mplayer: could not connect to socket
    > mplayer: No such file or directory
    > Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
    > control.
    >
    > Playing ./Top Gear - S11E02.avi.
    > AVI file format detected.
    > [aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
    > [aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
    > VIDEO: [XVID] 720x416 12bpp 25.000 fps 1460.0 kbps (178.2 kbyte/s)
    > Clip info:
    > Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
    > ================================================== ========================
    > Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    > Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
    > ================================================== ========================
    > ================================================== ========================
    > Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
    > AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio: 16000->192000)
    > Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
    > ================================================== ========================
    > [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource
    > busy
    > AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    > Starting playback...
    > VDec: vo config request - 720 x 416 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
    > VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    > Movie-Aspect is 1.73:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    > VO: [xv] 720x416 => 720x416 Planar YV12
    > X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 4.3% 18 0
    > X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    >
    > The X11 error message repeats continously.

    After closing all other windows, the XVid files *will* play in MPlayer

    Regards

  5. Re: OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    Vasilikon wrote:
    >>> Can you view the same video in mplayer?

    >> I didn't have mplayer installed, so I've downloaded it. Running it from
    >> the console produces audio, but no video

    > After closing all other windows, the XVid files *will* play in MPlayer

    Personally, I play my videos in mplayer. Kaffeine is a bit too
    unintuitive for me.
    But I did think there was an xvid codec available. I may be wrong.

    Luca

  6. Re: OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    Vasilikon wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Sometime over the last few days, Kaffeine has lost the ability to play .avi
    > files. I get the audio OK, but no video, just a blank screen. Kaffeine
    > identifies the file as Mime: video/x-msvideo and video: ISO MPEG-4 (XVid,
    > ffmpeg).
    >
    > Running kaffeine -w shows;
    > Distribution...
    > Found: openSUSE 11.0 (i586). The xine-lib shipped by SuSE "may lack certain
    > features because of legal requirements (potential patent violation)". You
    > should use the packages from here: http://packman.links2linux.de.
    >
    > I've checked with yast and xinelib is not installed, and libxine1 and
    > libxine1-w32dll are both loaded from packman. The version of Kaffeine is
    > also from the packman repository.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas as to what to try next?
    >
    > Regards

    If it won't play with Mplayer, Totem, or Xfmedia it's probably a broken
    file.

    --
    Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

  7. Re: OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    Vasilikon wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Sometime over the last few days, Kaffeine has lost the ability to play
    > .avi files. I get the audio OK, but no video, just a blank screen.
    > Kaffeine
    > identifies the file as Mime: video/x-msvideo and video: ISO MPEG-4 (XVid,
    > ffmpeg).
    >
    > Running kaffeine -w shows;
    > Distribution...
    > Found: openSUSE 11.0 (i586). The xine-lib shipped by SuSE "may lack
    > certain features because of legal requirements (potential patent
    > violation)". You should use the packages from here:
    > http://packman.links2linux.de.
    >
    > I've checked with yast and xinelib is not installed, and libxine1 and
    > libxine1-w32dll are both loaded from packman. The version of Kaffeine is
    > also from the packman repository.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas as to what to try next?
    >
    > Regards

    for kaffeine (and other)
    libdvdcss
    libdvdread
    libdvdplay
    libdvdnav
    w32codecs
    libxine1
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  8. Re: OpenSuse 11.0 Kaffeine

    Vasilikon wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Sometime over the last few days, Kaffeine has lost the ability to play
    > .avi files. I get the audio OK, but no video, just a blank screen.
    > Kaffeine
    > identifies the file as Mime: video/x-msvideo and video: ISO MPEG-4 (XVid,
    > ffmpeg).
    >
    > Running kaffeine -w shows;
    > Distribution...
    > Found: openSUSE 11.0 (i586). The xine-lib shipped by SuSE "may lack
    > certain features because of legal requirements (potential patent
    > violation)". You should use the packages from here:
    > http://packman.links2linux.de.
    >
    > I've checked with yast and xinelib is not installed, and libxine1 and
    > libxine1-w32dll are both loaded from packman. The version of Kaffeine is
    > also from the packman repository.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas as to what to try next?
    >
    > Regards

    Had something similar. Seems my Intel video driver didn't like the combo of compiz and video playing. Turned off the fancy compiz effects and all was good.

    kev.

+ Reply to Thread