opensuse 11.1 - Suse

This is a discussion on opensuse 11.1 - Suse ; From on of the mailinglists: For those who think that the update thing needs further improvement, there is an interest there, so get involved and let them know what you want. With openSUSE 11.0 out the door, it's time to ...

  1. opensuse 11.1

    From on of the mailinglists:

    For those who think that the update thing needs further improvement, there is
    an interest there, so get involved and let them know what you want.

    With openSUSE 11.0 out the door, it's time to start thinking about openSUSE
    11.1. The public release of openSUSE 11.1 is scheduled for December 18, 2008,
    six months after the release of openSUSE 11.0.

    The full schedule for the release cycle is as follows:

    Thu, Jul 24 openSUSE 11.1 Alpha1
    Thu, Aug 21 openSUSE 11.1 Alpha2
    Thu, Sep 18 openSUSE 11.1 Beta1 - snapshot release
    Thu, Oct 02 openSUSE 11.1 Beta2 - snapshot release
    Thu, Oct 16 openSUSE 11.1 Beta3 - snapshot release
    Thu, Oct 30 openSUSE 11.1 Beta4 - snapshot release
    Thu, Nov 13 openSUSE 11.1 RC1 - snapshot release
    Thu, Nov 27 openSUSE 11.1 RC2 - snapshot release
    Thu, Dec 4 openSUSE 11.1 GM - final release
    Thu, Dec 18 openSUSE 11.1 public release

    This is, of course, a tentative schedule. Any critical or show-stopping bugs
    may delay betas and release candidates.

    Note that all release dates are on Thursdays. Check-in deadlines for base/core
    packages, or those that have a long list of dependencies, are on Fridays at
    15:00 CET. The check-in deadlines for "leaf" packages are on Mondays preceding
    the release at 17:00 CET.

    Major areas of interest in this release include:

    * KDE: KDE 4.1 (TBD: KDE 3.5.x)
    * Continued improvement in the software update stack
    * GNOME 2.24
    * Linux kernel 2.6.27+

    Want to get involved? The start of a release cycle is a great time to get
    involved in openSUSE development. See the How to Participate page on the
    openSUSE wiki [http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_Participate] for details.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  2. Re: opensuse 11.1

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >The public release of openSUSE 11.1 is scheduled for December 18, 2008,
    >six months after the release of openSUSE 11.0.

    They've moved back to a 6 month cycle? I hope not as experience shows
    the 8 month cycle is better for bug-fixing.

    >* KDE: KDE 4.1 (TBD: KDE 3.5.x)

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And that's going to thrill some people[0] no end.

    [0] Including myself to a degree. Hopefully, they'll have most of the
    file-handling functionality[1][2] that is in Konqueror, but is missing
    from the present release of Dolphin, present in the 4.1 version of
    Dolphin.

    [1] meta-info in the properties, file info in the tool-tip balloons,
    etc.

    [2] Yes, it's known about, and my bug report about it was closed because
    these features are going to be included in KDE4.2. Hopefully, they'll be
    back-ported to KDE4.1.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0

  3. Re: opensuse 11.1

    houghi wrote:

    [knip]

    > * KDE: KDE 4.1 (TBD: KDE 3.5.x)

    To Be Discontinued?
    To Be Discussed?
    To Be Dead?

    I'll wait at least till KDE 4.2 before I even put a live CD in.
    In the mean time, I hope OpenSUSE still supports KDE 3.5.x in the next
    release.

    A LTS-release like Ubuntu offers, would not be a bad idea.

    [knip]

  4. Re: opensuse 11.1

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:57:16 +0200
    houghi wrote:

    > * KDE: KDE 4.1 (TBD: KDE 3.5.x)

    IMO...KDE 4.x is not ready for the prime time yet or doubt it will be
    by 11.1 release time, I sure hope they include 3.5x as a choice.
    --
    Patrick at...
    Latitude: 40.48*

  5. Re: opensuse 11.1

    Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:57:16 +0200
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> * KDE: KDE 4.1 (TBD: KDE 3.5.x)

    > IMO...KDE 4.x is not ready for the prime time yet or doubt it will be
    > by 11.1 release time, I sure hope they include 3.5x as a choice.

    Well, there are weekly KDE meetings over IRC. Join them and tell them or
    ask them. Don't come whining when they killed it off.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren