Avoiding time consuming check of ext3 filesystem - Suse

This is a discussion on Avoiding time consuming check of ext3 filesystem - Suse ; I have just added yet another 750 GB disk to my system. The filesystem there, as it is on the other disks, is ext3. "For some reason" I came to think of the following: What if a cron job would ...

  1. Avoiding time consuming check of ext3 filesystem

    I have just added yet another 750 GB disk to my system.
    The filesystem there, as it is on the other disks, is ext3.
    "For some reason" I came to think of the following:

    What if a cron job would check the disks, say once a month.
    Couldn't the time consuming check of the disks then be avoided when the
    machine boots the next time after a long uptime?

    Or would it be better to do the check interactively every now and then
    in case of errors that require intervention?

    I am monitoring the disks with smartmontools, so maybe that time
    consuming check at boot time could be turned all off?

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  2. Re: Avoiding time consuming check of ext3 filesystem

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:32:42 GMT, Vahis wrote:

    >I have just added yet another 750 GB disk to my system.
    >The filesystem there, as it is on the other disks, is ext3.
    >"For some reason" I came to think of the following:
    >
    >What if a cron job would check the disks, say once a month.
    >Couldn't the time consuming check of the disks then be avoided when the
    >machine boots the next time after a long uptime?
    >
    >Or would it be better to do the check interactively every now and then
    >in case of errors that require intervention?
    >
    >I am monitoring the disks with smartmontools, so maybe that time
    >consuming check at boot time could be turned all off?
    >
    >Vahis

    According to this they have disabled fsck on boot.

    http://en.opensuse.org/Testing:Featu..._No:_302118.29

    Perhaps in fresh installations. Since I am usually updating, I haven't seen
    anything new. I am interested though.

  3. Re: Avoiding time consuming check of ext3 filesystem

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 21:47:30 +0300, Christos Gourdoupis wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:32:42 GMT, Vahis
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have just added yet another 750 GB disk to my system. The filesystem
    >>there, as it is on the other disks, is ext3. "For some reason" I came to
    >>think of the following:
    >>
    >>What if a cron job would check the disks, say once a month. Couldn't the
    >>time consuming check of the disks then be avoided when the machine boots
    >>the next time after a long uptime?
    >>
    >>Or would it be better to do the check interactively every now and then
    >>in case of errors that require intervention?
    >>
    >>I am monitoring the disks with smartmontools, so maybe that time
    >>consuming check at boot time could be turned all off?
    >>
    >>Vahis

    > According to this they have disabled fsck on boot.
    >
    > http://en.opensuse.org/

    Testing:Features_11.0#switch_off_paranoid_ext3_fsc k_.28Feature_No:_302118.29

    > Perhaps in fresh installations. Since I am usually updating, I haven't
    > seen anything new. I am interested though.

    Well, mine is still throw random errors every couple of reboots, so its
    still there, and I definitely havent changed any defaults.

+ Reply to Thread