e-sata on 11.0 - Suse

This is a discussion on e-sata on 11.0 - Suse ; Do anyone know if 11.0 supports e-sata hotplug. AH...

  1. e-sata on 11.0

    Do anyone know if 11.0 supports e-sata hotplug.

    AH

  2. Re: e-sata on 11.0

    "On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:45:06AM -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Sorry to bother you but I was wondering if openSUSE-11.0 supports e-SATA
    > hot-pluging ?

    It depends on the hardware type. If the upstream kernel provides it, it
    will.

    thanks,

    greg k-h"

    So it seems so but you'll have to check your hardware with whatever kernel
    11.0 is using at the time. Or, stating this in a different way..does
    kernel-default-2.6.25.5-1.1.i586.rpm support e-SATA hotpugging ? And does
    it support your exact hardware ?

    From an Ubuntu forum I see this question:

    Re: Hotplug eSata support?
    NVM. Got it.

    Making sure AHCI was active (which I always have active, but I'm commenting
    it so you check) in bios, then booting with an eSATA drive attached and
    running.

    I mounted that drive, and then shut down my computer.

    Now, I boot my computer without the eSATA drive attached, and from now on
    the unit works perfectly... plug and play, just like it was a USB drive.

    Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Using a Thermaltake BlackX along eSATA.

    Cheers,
    Robbie

    So, since that was posted May 22, it seems that the more recent kernels do
    support this.

    In short my guess, based on Greg's response today (quoted above) and the
    kernel available in 11.0 and that Ubuntu forum post..

    It should work !!!

    P.S. It's all hearsay, rumors and supposition unless, of course, it works..

    So give it a try and let us know. For now I've done some research for you
    and it may work and probably does.

  3. Re: e-sata on 11.0

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Arne Bjørn Henriksen wrote:
    >
    >> Do anyone know if 11.0 supports e-sata hotplug.
    >>
    >> AH

    > "On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:45:06AM -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >> Sorry to bother you but I was wondering if openSUSE-11.0 supports e-SATA
    >> hot-pluging ?

    > It depends on the hardware type. If the upstream kernel provides it, it
    > will.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h"
    >
    > So it seems so but you'll have to check your hardware with whatever kernel
    > 11.0 is using at the time. Or, stating this in a different way..does
    > kernel-default-2.6.25.5-1.1.i586.rpm support e-SATA hotpugging ? And
    > does it support your exact hardware ?
    >
    > From an Ubuntu forum I see this question:
    >
    > Re: Hotplug eSata support?
    > NVM. Got it.
    >
    > Making sure AHCI was active (which I always have active, but I'm
    > commenting
    > it so you check) in bios, then booting with an eSATA drive attached and
    > running.
    >
    > I mounted that drive, and then shut down my computer.
    >
    > Now, I boot my computer without the eSATA drive attached, and from now on
    > the unit works perfectly... plug and play, just like it was a USB drive.
    >
    > Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Using a Thermaltake BlackX along eSATA.
    >

    > Cheers,
    > Robbie
    >
    > So, since that was posted May 22, it seems that the more recent kernels do
    > support this.
    >
    > In short my guess, based on Greg's response today (quoted above) and the
    > kernel available in 11.0 and that Ubuntu forum post..
    >
    > It should work !!!
    >

    > P.S. It's all hearsay, rumors and supposition unless, of course, it
    > works..
    >
    > So give it a try and let us know. For now I've done some research for you
    > and it may work and probably does.

    Thanks for the information. I will try and see if i can get it to work.

    AH

  4. Re: e-sata on 11.0

    Arne Bjørn Henriksen wrote:

    > Thanks for the information. I will try and see if i can get it to work.

    Please share the results here. I have e-sata too that didn't work with suse
    10.3

    Derk

+ Reply to Thread