11.0 and repositories - Suse

This is a discussion on 11.0 and repositories - Suse ; Adding online repositories only offers the standard 00s and non-oss No: packman, build, etc. And, looking up another repository (specifically in this case: http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/ which provides ZoneMinder.) it will not let me add the repository. Back in the early days ...

  1. 11.0 and repositories

    Adding online repositories only offers the standard 00s and non-oss
    No: packman, build, etc.

    And, looking up another repository (specifically in this case:
    http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/
    which provides ZoneMinder.) it will not let me add the repository.

    Back in the early days 0f 10.0 and 10.2, they were added by the same process
    11.0 uses - split it into server and directory - and it eventually got to
    where you could put the entire string as copied from Firefox into the
    server slot and it would separate it automatically.

    With 11.0 is keeps coming up with errors and trying to tell me how a domain
    name or IP address is configured (all inappropriate to the problem). I
    have tried all of the following in server and directory.

    http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    http://www.liquid-co.de/
    pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    http://www.liquid-co.de
    /pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    http://www.liquid-co.de/
    /pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    and NONE of them work, even though firefox sees it.

    I also tried the previous edition for 10.3, with worked well through this
    process and 11.0 won't recognize it.

    The same thing applies for packman, etc.

    Is this a 11.0 Yast error, or do all of these archives not match some
    uniqueness required by 11.0?

    I then went to the rpm and used Yast: missing perl-php-serializeation and
    perl-Module-Load. They are not present on any repository that is/can be
    installed.

    I guess I'll have to check and see if smart is still available - it often
    could resolve these things.

    Thanks, John

  2. Re: 11.0 and repositories

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:40:35 -0700, John Bowling wrote:

    > Adding online repositories only offers the standard 00s and non-oss No:
    > packman, build, etc.
    >
    > And, looking up another repository (specifically in this case:
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/ which provides
    > ZoneMinder.) it will not let me add the repository.
    >
    > Back in the early days 0f 10.0 and 10.2, they were added by the same
    > process 11.0 uses - split it into server and directory - and it
    > eventually got to where you could put the entire string as copied from
    > Firefox into the server slot and it would separate it automatically.
    >
    > With 11.0 is keeps coming up with errors and trying to tell me how a
    > domain name or IP address is configured (all inappropriate to the
    > problem). I have tried all of the following in server and directory.
    >
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/
    >
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/
    > pub/suse/repositories/11.0/
    >
    > http://www.liquid-co.de
    > /pub/suse/repositories/11.0/
    >
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/
    > /pub/suse/repositories/11.0/
    >
    > and NONE of them work, even though firefox sees it.
    >
    > I also tried the previous edition for 10.3, with worked well through
    > this process and 11.0 won't recognize it.
    >
    > The same thing applies for packman, etc.
    >
    > Is this a 11.0 Yast error, or do all of these archives not match some
    > uniqueness required by 11.0?
    >
    > I then went to the rpm and used Yast: missing perl-php-serializeation
    > and perl-Module-Load. They are not present on any repository that
    > is/can be installed.
    >
    > I guess I'll have to check and see if smart is still available - it
    > often could resolve these things.
    >
    > Thanks, John

    Have you tried yast > Software > Software Repositaries > Add > Community
    Repositaries?

    This should give you a list and all you have to do is tick the boxes.

  3. Re: 11.0 and repositories

    John Bowling wrote:

    > Adding online repositories only offers the standard 00s and non-oss
    > No: packman, build, etc.

    Strange. I was able to add those directly as 'community repositories'.

    > And, looking up another repository (specifically in this case:
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/
    > which provides ZoneMinder.) it will not let me add the repository.
    >
    > Back in the early days 0f 10.0 and 10.2, they were added by the same process
    > 11.0 uses - split it into server and directory - and it eventually got to
    > where you could put the entire string as copied from Firefox into the
    > server slot and it would separate it automatically.

    You can also enter the whole URL now.

    houghi
    --
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
    and why. Then do it.

  4. Re: 11.0 and repositories

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:40:35 -0700, John Bowling wrote:

    > Adding online repositories only offers the standard 00s and non-oss No:
    > packman, build, etc.
    >
    > And, looking up another repository (specifically in this case:
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/ which provides
    > ZoneMinder.) it will not let me add the repository.
    >
    > Back in the early days 0f 10.0 and 10.2, they were added by the same
    > process 11.0 uses - split it into server and directory - and it
    > eventually got to where you could put the entire string as copied from
    > Firefox into the server slot and it would separate it automatically.
    >
    > With 11.0 is keeps coming up with errors and trying to tell me how a
    > domain name or IP address is configured (all inappropriate to the
    > problem). I have tried all of the following in server and directory.
    >
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    Well, I've just tried it and it worked first time, so I would guess it
    was either a temporary problem with the repo, or something in your
    install.

  5. Re: 11.0 and repositories

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, John Bowling wrote:-

    >With 11.0 is keeps coming up with errors and trying to tell me how a domain
    >name or IP address is configured (all inappropriate to the problem). I
    >have tried all of the following in server and directory.
    >
    >http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    How about trying this using a root console:

    viper-mk2:~ # zypper addrepo http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/ liquid-coAdding repository 'liquid-co' [done]
    Repository 'liquid-co' successfully added
    Enabled: Yes
    Autorefresh: No
    URI: http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    That part worked locally, so lets make sure and do a refresh:

    viper-mk2:~ # zypper ref
    Repository 'openSUSE-DVD 11.0' is up to date.
    Repository 'main 11.0 OSS' is up to date.
    Do you want to trust key id D8AE135092681C57, Monex RPM key , fingerprint 08CB20211C6B8EC1E2868CBAD8AE135092681C57 [yes/NO]:
    yes
    Import key D8AE135092681C57 to trusted keyring? [yes/NO]: yes
    Downloading repository 'liquid-co' metadata [done]
    Building repository 'liquid-co' cache [done]
    Downloading repository 'VideoLan Repository' metadata [done]
    Building repository 'VideoLan Repository' cache [done]
    Downloading repository 'Packman Repository' metadata [done]
    Building repository 'Packman Repository' cache [done]
    Repository 'Davjams-repository 11.0' is up to date.
    All repositories have been refreshed.

    Seems it did. How about a final test:

    viper-mk2:~ # zypper in ZoneMinder
    Reading installed packages...

    The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
    ZoneMinder perl-Device-SerialPort perl-php-serialization perl-Module-Load php5-zlib
    php5-sockets php5-mcrypt php5-gd perl-MailTools perl-MIME-tools perl-MIME-Lite
    perl-IO-stringy perl-DateManip perl-Data-ShowTable perl-DBD-mysql perl-Archive-Zip
    libmcrypt

    Overall download size: 1.8 M. After the operation, additional 6.7 M will be used.
    Continue? [YES/no]: n

    I think that's also a pass.

    >and NONE of them work, even though firefox sees it.
    >
    >I also tried the previous edition for 10.3, with worked well through this
    >process and 11.0 won't recognize it.
    >
    >The same thing applies for packman, etc.

    Use the community repositories to add them.

    >Is this a 11.0 Yast error, or do all of these archives not match some
    >uniqueness required by 11.0?

    It's not a YaST error and, since I can add them locally, it doesn't look
    like a repo error either.

    >I then went to the rpm and used Yast: missing perl-php-serializeation and
    >perl-Module-Load. They are not present on any repository that is/can be
    >installed.

    You'll find them in the above repo.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0

  6. Re: 11.0 and repositories

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, John Bowling wrote:-
    >

    >>With 11.0 is keeps coming up with errors and trying to tell me how a
    >>domain
    >>name or IP address is configured (all inappropriate to the problem). I
    >>have tried all of the following in server and directory.
    >>
    >>http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/

    > How about trying this using a root console:
    >
    > viper-mk2:~ # zypper addrepo
    > http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/ liquid-coAdding
    > repository 'liquid-co' [done] Repository 'liquid-co' successfully added
    > Enabled: Yes Autorefresh: No
    > URI: http://www.liquid-co.de/pub/suse/repositories/11.0/
    >
    > That part worked locally, so lets make sure and do a refresh:
    >
    > viper-mk2:~ # zypper ref
    > Repository 'openSUSE-DVD 11.0' is up to date.
    > Repository 'main 11.0 OSS' is up to date.
    > Do you want to trust key id D8AE135092681C57, Monex RPM key
    > , fingerprint 08CB20211C6B8EC1E2868CBAD8AE135092681C57
    > [yes/NO]: yes Import key D8AE135092681C57 to trusted keyring? [yes/NO]:
    > yes Downloading repository 'liquid-co' metadata [done]
    > Building repository 'liquid-co' cache [done]
    > Downloading repository 'VideoLan Repository' metadata [done]
    > Building repository 'VideoLan Repository' cache [done]
    > Downloading repository 'Packman Repository' metadata [done]
    > Building repository 'Packman Repository' cache [done]
    > Repository 'Davjams-repository 11.0' is up to date.
    > All repositories have been refreshed.
    >
    > Seems it did. How about a final test:
    >
    > viper-mk2:~ # zypper in ZoneMinder
    > Reading installed packages...
    >
    > The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
    > ZoneMinder perl-Device-SerialPort perl-php-serialization
    > perl-Module-Load php5-zlib
    > php5-sockets php5-mcrypt php5-gd perl-MailTools perl-MIME-tools
    > perl-MIME-Lite perl-IO-stringy perl-DateManip perl-Data-ShowTable
    > perl-DBD-mysql perl-Archive-Zip libmcrypt
    >

    > Overall download size: 1.8 M. After the operation, additional 6.7 M will
    > be used. Continue? [YES/no]: n
    >
    > I think that's also a pass.
    >
    >>and NONE of them work, even though firefox sees it.
    >>
    >>I also tried the previous edition for 10.3, with worked well through this
    >>process and 11.0 won't recognize it.
    >>
    >>The same thing applies for packman, etc.

    > Use the community repositories to add them.
    >
    >>Is this a 11.0 Yast error, or do all of these archives not match some
    >>uniqueness required by 11.0?

    > It's not a YaST error and, since I can add them locally, it doesn't look
    > like a repo error either.
    >
    >>I then went to the rpm and used Yast: missing perl-php-serializeation and
    >>perl-Module-Load. They are not present on any repository that is/can be
    >>installed.

    > You'll find them in the above repo.
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    I got it to work this morning by not having "http://" as part of the string
    I entered. I had forgotten they need to be entered without that - it's been
    a while since I had to add one using this method. I didn't try community
    repositories, but I would not expect the zoneminder one to be on their
    list. And using the proper repository removed any need for additional
    items.

    Thanks, John

  7. Re: 11.0 and repositories

    John Bowling wrote:

    > I got it to work this morning by not having "http://" as part of the
    > string I entered. I had forgotten they need to be entered without that -
    > it's been a while since I had to add one using this method.

    You can use option to add it as URL.
    That option will accept whole URL including http:// or ftp://
    There is more interesting options on the same screen.

    David mentioned zypper. That tool has new options since 10.3 and it is much
    more useful than before. See manual for zypper. If you like GUI than trough
    Konqueror, just type in Location field man:zypper .

    > I didn't try
    > community repositories, but I would not expect the zoneminder one to be on
    > their list. And using the proper repository removed any need for
    > additional items.

    The zoneminder is not, but Packman and Videolan are.
    You can reach them after starting YaST Software Management from drop down
    menu Repositories at the top of the window, or trough separate module.
    I use mostly the first option.

    --
    Regards, Rajko
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

  8. Re: 11.0 and repositories

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > David mentioned zypper. That tool has new options since 10.3 and it is much
    > more useful than before. See manual for zypper. If you like GUI than trough
    > Konqueror, just type in Location field man:zypper .

    11.0 added another one OCICLI (One Click Install CLI)
    e.g. to install the NVIDIA with CLI:
    sudo /sbin/OCICLI http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp

    Or MPLayer when logged in as root:
    OCICLI http://tinyurl.com/3ozf4s

    >> I didn't try
    >> community repositories, but I would not expect the zoneminder one to be on
    >> their list. And using the proper repository removed any need for
    >> additional items.

    > The zoneminder is not, but Packman and Videolan are.
    > You can reach them after starting YaST Software Management from drop down
    > menu Repositories at the top of the window, or trough separate module.
    > I use mostly the first option.

    Well, of you do the above one with MPlayer, Packman is also added as
    repo. Also you can just go to http://packages.opensuse-community.org and
    look for ZoneMinder, click on it and have it installed.

    The link to the above is also done via software.openSUSE.org (onm the
    right) So there are many ways to get to the software you need.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

+ Reply to Thread