suspend to disc - Suse

This is a discussion on suspend to disc - Suse ; For whatever reason, my 11.0 KDE install is missing the 'suspend to disc' option, and I just cant get my brain around what I'm missing / havent installed etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction please?...

  1. suspend to disc

    For whatever reason, my 11.0 KDE install is missing the 'suspend to disc'
    option, and I just cant get my brain around what I'm missing / havent
    installed etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

  2. Re: suspend to disc

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, central wrote:-

    >For whatever reason, my 11.0 KDE install is missing the 'suspend to disc'
    >option, and I just cant get my brain around what I'm missing / havent
    >installed etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

    This is going from memory[0], but on my KDE4 install when you're given
    nice little box with the options to log out, shut down or restart,
    clicking and holding the "shutdown" button pops up the choices of
    "suspend to disc" and "suspend to ram".

    If you do the same with the "restart" button, you get to choose which
    will entry in the grub menu be the automatically started when it
    reboots.

    [0] It's a headless system so it's a little difficult to check.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0

  3. Re: suspend to disc

    central wrote:

    > For whatever reason, my 11.0 KDE install is missing the 'suspend to disc'
    > option,

    It's under th eKpowersave icon. I searched too.

    Derk

  4. Re: suspend to disc

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:46:09 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, central wrote:-
    >
    >>For whatever reason, my 11.0 KDE install is missing the 'suspend to
    >>disc' option, and I just cant get my brain around what I'm missing /
    >>havent installed etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction
    >>please?

    > This is going from memory[0], but on my KDE4 install when you're given
    > nice little box with the options to log out, shut down or restart,
    > clicking and holding the "shutdown" button pops up the choices of
    > "suspend to disc" and "suspend to ram".
    >
    > If you do the same with the "restart" button, you get to choose which
    > will entry in the grub menu be the automatically started when it
    > reboots.
    >

    > [0] It's a headless system so it's a little difficult to check.
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Hmm, interesting... There appears to be some sort of drop down option on
    those boxes but last time I tried them, the machine just shut down. I
    shall try again while a definte 'click and hold'. Meantime, I swapped
    back to the new menu from classic view this afternoon, and the suspend to
    ram / suspend to disc options appear on that one, although not on the
    classic menu. However, they dont actually DO anything! So, I'm now
    shutting down for the day and I'll be back later to report if it worked

  5. Re: suspend to disc

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:14:28 +0000, central wrote:

    > For whatever reason, my 11.0 KDE install is missing the 'suspend to
    > disc' option, and I just cant get my brain around what I'm missing /
    > havent installed etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction
    > please?

    Right then, thanks for the help so far. Click&hold the ICON (not just the
    button: WTF?) on the exit menu, clicking the Kpowersave icon or switching
    back to the new menu all work. But then the process fails because its
    trying to suspend to sdb2 - as I have sda, sdf and sdg (sata / ide mix up
    - dont ask!) thats not surprising. Anyone know how to point the suspend
    file toward somewhere sensible?

    Oh, and excuse the spelling: Pan's spell check has decided to go walk
    about. Am now reverting to windoz mode to see if a reboot helps...

  6. Re: suspend to disc

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:38:04 +0000, central wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:14:28 +0000, central wrote:
    >
    >> For whatever reason, my 11.0 KDE install is missing the 'suspend to
    >> disc' option, and I just cant get my brain around what I'm missing /
    >> havent installed etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction
    >> please?

    > Right then, thanks for the help so far. Click&hold the ICON (not just
    > the button: WTF?) on the exit menu, clicking the Kpowersave icon or
    > switching back to the new menu all work. But then the process fails
    > because its trying to suspend to sdb2 - as I have sda, sdf and sdg (sata
    > / ide mix up - dont ask!) thats not surprising. Anyone know how to point
    > the suspend file toward somewhere sensible?
    >
    > Oh, and excuse the spelling: Pan's spell check has decided to go walk
    > about. Am now reverting to windoz mode to see if a reboot helps...

    Solved (and more than one problem). Kpowersave looks at a line in grub,
    and grub was pointing to sdb2 which didn't exist. That lead me to my
    mysterious drive allocation, and eventually I figured out that the Trust
    memory card reader was causing sdb to sde to be reserved / not used or
    something, even though the four slots were all empty. Judging my the BIOS
    boot time, it was a hardware problem rather than a suse problem but if
    anyone can shed any light on the detail, I'd be pleased. Meantime, I
    disconnected the reader, rewrote grub and now I get both suspend
    functioning AND much fast bios drive recognition.

+ Reply to Thread