openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes - Suse

This is a discussion on openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes - Suse ; I've now installed openSuse 11.0 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo v5515 laptop. Mostly it went smoothly. The wired NIC was recognised ("191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter" according to Yast2, "sis190 Gigabit Ethernet driver 1.20 loaded" according to dmesg). I set it up ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes

  1. openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes

    I've now installed openSuse 11.0 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo v5515
    laptop. Mostly it went smoothly.
    The wired NIC was recognised ("191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter" according to
    Yast2, "sis190 Gigabit Ethernet driver 1.20 loaded" according to dmesg).
    I set it up as part of a statically addressed network but cannot connect
    to the network. The output from ifconfig is normal and I can ping the
    laptop from itself, but I can't ping any other host ("Destination Host
    Unreachable"). Nor can I ping the laptop from other hosts in the network.

    I've checked the numbers I entered several times and I don't think I did
    anything silly.

    Comments invited...

    --
    Les

  2. Re: openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    >
    >
    > I've now installed openSuse 11.0 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo v5515
    > laptop. Mostly it went smoothly.
    > The wired NIC was recognised ("191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter" according to
    > Yast2, "sis190 Gigabit Ethernet driver 1.20 loaded" according to dmesg).
    > I set it up as part of a statically addressed network but cannot connect
    > to the network. The output from ifconfig is normal and I can ping the
    > laptop from itself, but I can't ping any other host ("Destination Host
    > Unreachable"). Nor can I ping the laptop from other hosts in the network.


    I have not tried the wireless yet, but I think you need ndiswrapper and
    thus download stuff from the FS website.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

  3. Re: openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes

    houghi wrote:

    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> I've now installed openSuse 11.0 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo v5515
    >> laptop. Mostly it went smoothly.
    >> The wired NIC was recognised ("191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter" according
    >> to Yast2, "sis190 Gigabit Ethernet driver 1.20 loaded" according to
    >> dmesg). I set it up as part of a statically addressed network but
    >> cannot connect to the network. The output from ifconfig is normal and I
    >> can ping the laptop from itself, but I can't ping any other host
    >> ("Destination Host Unreachable"). Nor can I ping the laptop from other
    >> hosts in the network.

    >
    > I have not tried the wireless yet, but I think you need ndiswrapper and
    > thus download stuff from the FS website.


    Could be, but didn't you say you had the wired network working on your
    laptop? Did you use static addresses or dhcp (clutching at straws...)?

    --
    Les

  4. Re: openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    >> I have not tried the wireless yet, but I think you need ndiswrapper and
    >> thus download stuff from the FS website.

    >
    > Could be, but didn't you say you had the wired network working on your
    > laptop? Did you use static addresses or dhcp (clutching at straws...)?


    DHCP with ndiswrapper for the wired one.
    The one I downloaded from the FS website is the one named
    FSC_WN2302AmPCIWLANIEEE80211bg_V53056_1014542.ZIP
    That is the XP driver. There is also one for the wireless.

    The reason I have not tried out the wireless is because I don't HAVE a
    wireless connection, so I would never know if it works or not.
    http://en.opensuse.org/Ndiswrapper

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

  5. Re: openSUSE 11.0 -- Fu-Si Esprimo V5515 NIC woes

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:23:53 +0200
    Leslie Danks wrote:

    >I set it up as part of a statically addressed network but cannot
    >connect to the network.


    Did you set up routing? What is the output from these two commands (as
    root):

    ifconfig

    route -n


    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.22.18-0.2-default
    9:34pm up 23:51, 21 users, load average: 2.41, 2.28, 1.97


+ Reply to Thread