how to install a .run file? - Suse

This is a discussion on how to install a .run file? - Suse ; Hello. Today i downloaded a graphics card driver from NVidia. it is a .run file. How can I install this file / driver ??? When I go to the Yast software manager and try to locate a file, it doesnt ...

  1. how to install a .run file?

    Hello.

    Today i downloaded a graphics card driver from NVidia. it is a .run file.

    How can I install this file / driver ???

    When I go to the Yast software manager and try to locate a file, it doesnt
    really seem to accept .run files. only .xml or something like that.

    Regards,

    martin

  2. Re: how to install a .run file?

    martin wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Today i downloaded a graphics card driver from NVidia. it is a .run file.
    >
    > How can I install this file / driver ???
    >
    > When I go to the Yast software manager and try to locate a file, it doesnt
    > really seem to accept .run files. only .xml or something like that.

    lol

    Sorry, couldn't resist.

    It's a program. You RUN it. If it's not executable, you make it
    executable with `chmod +x blabla.run` and run it with `./blabla.run`

  3. Re: how to install a .run file?

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:32:30 +0200, martin wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Today i downloaded a graphics card driver from NVidia. it is a .run
    > file.
    >
    > How can I install this file / driver ???
    >
    > When I go to the Yast software manager and try to locate a file, it
    > doesnt really seem to accept .run files. only .xml or something like
    > that.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > martin

    in a terminal window 'cd' to the directory with the file and type "./
    whateverthefileis.run" - but you'd probably be better off with the driver
    from the repository.

  4. Re: how to install a .run file?

    martin wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Today i downloaded a graphics card driver from NVidia. it is a .run file.
    >
    > How can I install this file / driver ???
    >
    > When I go to the Yast software manager and try to locate a file, it doesnt
    > really seem to accept .run files. only .xml or something like that.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > martin

    See:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Nvidia#The_hard_way

    Uwe

  5. Re: how to install a .run file?

    "Nikos Chantziaras" schreef in bericht
    > martin wrote:
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> Today i downloaded a graphics card driver from NVidia. it is a .run file.
    >>
    >> How can I install this file / driver ???
    >>
    >> When I go to the Yast software manager and try to locate a file, it
    >> doesnt really seem to accept .run files. only .xml or something like
    >> that.

    > lol
    >
    > Sorry, couldn't resist.
    >
    > It's a program. You RUN it. If it's not executable, you make it executable
    > with `chmod +x blabla.run` and run it with `./blabla.run`

    I can imagine! ;-)

    but when I made the file executable... and clicked on it: the HD started
    working for a while without any sign of activity on the screen. And then the
    HD comes to rest and still nothing happened. or SEEMED to have happened.

    martin

  6. Re: how to install a .run file?

    martin wrote:
    >> It's a program. You RUN it. If it's not executable, you make it executable
    >> with `chmod +x blabla.run` and run it with `./blabla.run`

    > I can imagine! ;-)
    >
    > but when I made the file executable... and clicked on it:

    So people tell you to RUN and you CLICK.

    There also is no reason to chmod +x it. Also I am sure that on the
    website where you downloaded it, there will be an explanation on what to
    do.

    Anywho : `sh blabla.run` in a terminal should work.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.

  7. Re: how to install a .run file?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, martin wrote:-

    >but when I made the file executable... and clicked on it:

    Oops.

    >the HD started
    >working for a while without any sign of activity on the screen. And then the
    >HD comes to rest and still nothing happened. or SEEMED to have happened.

    It's a console program and you need to start it using a command line.
    That way, you can feed it the information it needs[0] as the script
    runs.

    [0] If it's anything like the one I used years ago, before it even
    starts to make the driver interface you need to accept the license.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0

  8. Re: how to install a .run file?

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:32:30 +0200, martin wrote:

    > Today i downloaded a graphics card driver from NVidia. it is a .run
    > file.
    >
    > How can I install this file / driver ???

    Follow this guide:
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html

    You will need to use the command line for your .run file so forget about
    clicking :-)

    --
    Rob
    To reply, remove zudo