Re: initial thoughts - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: initial thoughts - Suse ; michael wrote: > Gnome is still Gnome, but seems better on 11.0. If it were just a bit > more configurable I'd be happy. But then it would not be Gnome, I > guess. Once I figure out how to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Re: initial thoughts

  1. Re: initial thoughts

    michael wrote:
    > Gnome is still Gnome, but seems better on 11.0. If it were just a bit
    > more configurable I'd be happy. But then it would not be Gnome, I
    > guess. Once I figure out how to change mime settings I might even make
    > it the stop. I am really spoiled by KDE.


    I agree with you on the GNOME part. I disagree on the KDE part. To me
    they are bothe evil. First there is the thing of the desktop icons: why?
    There is ALWAYS stuff in front of it.

    And yet that is the whole basis of their concept that they do things on
    the desktop. Horrible.

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe
    anything -- just give him time to rationalize it.
    Robert A. Heinlein, JOB: A Comedy of Justice

  2. Re: initial thoughts

    houghi schreef:

    > First there is the thing of the desktop icons: why?
    > There is ALWAYS stuff in front of it.
    >
    > And yet that is the whole basis of their concept that they do things on
    > the desktop. Horrible.


    That is the main reason for the new KDE and GNOME 'start' menu's, all your
    favorite apps in one single menu.
    I don't have icons on the desktop either.

    I either use the menu, or a keyboard shortcut.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  3. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > That is the main reason for the new KDE and GNOME 'start' menu's, all your
    > favorite apps in one single menu.


    Oh you mean that thing I turn of whenever I see it?

    With KDE I only have one 'start' menu. I now have 4. Gnome should be
    able to do better, but the second bar at the top that usualy does this
    is disabeled.

    KDE and GNOME are just plain evil.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

  4. Re: initial thoughts

    houghi schreef:

    > Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >> That is the main reason for the new KDE and GNOME 'start' menu's, all
    >> your favorite apps in one single menu.

    >
    > Oh you mean that thing I turn of whenever I see it?


    I'm amazed you actually seen it ;-)
    >
    > With KDE I only have one 'start' menu. I now have 4. Gnome should be
    > able to do better, but the second bar at the top that usualy does this
    > is disabeled.
    >
    > KDE and GNOME are just plain evil.


    Nah, me like KDE, and especially the new menu.
    Some hate it because you have click and click to make your way through the
    menu.
    But of all the apps in the menu i only use 9 regularely and they are all in
    the favorites section.
    One button 9 apps, great! :-)
    For the rest it's ALT-F2 or a keyboard shortcut.
    It's fantastic Houghi, you should try it :-) (what a waste of typing)
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  5. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >> Oh you mean that thing I turn of whenever I see it?

    >
    > I'm amazed you actually seen it ;-)


    I keep hoping it turns into something nice and it doesn't.

    >> KDE and GNOME are just plain evil.

    >
    > Nah, me like KDE, and especially the new menu.
    > Some hate it because you have click and click to make your way through the
    > menu.
    > But of all the apps in the menu i only use 9 regularely and they are all in
    > the favorites section.


    It is good to hear that there are people who appriciate the work that
    the developers have put into it.

    > One button 9 apps, great! :-)


    And there is a linmitation right there. Why just one menu? I have 4
    menu's with a total of 52 apps.

    Also if those 9 are the ones you always use, why have them in a menu?
    Why not opening them by default on their own workspace?

    > For the rest it's ALT-F2 or a keyboard shortcut.


    Sometimes I am so drun^wtired that I can't remember the names of the
    apps. That is when the others come in.

    > It's fantastic Houghi, you should try it :-) (what a waste of typing)


    I have and although it looks great the first time you look at it, there
    is nothing I realy would say: that does it for me. Instead there are a
    lot of things I can't do that I want to do.

    I do not like the way GNOME looks though. Could be that it has more that
    I would want, but the way it presents itself is something I do not like.

    When I started with Linux, I started with Enlightenment, The problem
    there was that the configuration was a bit of a pain. What I liked there
    was the fact that you already had the multi-memu thing going on.

    I then went on a small search and decided to go for WindowMaker. It was
    a time when there where many more windowmanagers in then SuSE. Some 14
    of them. Later I tried out XFCE for some months, but it lacked many
    things.

    And seriously about that menu thing. Why only one? Why not one for each
    of the thigs that are now in a submenu. 1 for apps, one for ganmes, one
    for ...

    This is what I use:
    http://people.easter-eggs.org/~valos...on=screenshots
    And I have four of them running. Each with their own icon.
    Oh and I do not need to click the item. I just go over it and it pulls
    out like a drawer. Then I just need to click on the icon.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

  6. Re: initial thoughts

    houghi schreef:

    >> One button 9 apps, great! :-)

    >
    > And there is a linmitation right there. Why just one menu? I have 4
    > menu's with a total of 52 apps.


    I could add as much custom or existing menu's to the desktop or a panel as i
    want.
    But those 9 apps in the default menu are just fine for me.
    >
    > Also if those 9 are the ones you always use, why have them in a menu?
    > Why not opening them by default on their own workspace?


    Not sure what you mean with this, having all apps loaded at startup or just
    the menu's?
    Menu's would be no problem, but i realy would hate it if my system would
    load all the apps i 'might' use at startup, that would realy annoy me if i
    would want to boot up my pc and want to use just one app fast.

    Important thing is offcourse that windowmaker or kde can be configured so
    that it runs and does what you or i want :-)
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  7. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >>> One button 9 apps, great! :-)

    >>
    >> And there is a linmitation right there. Why just one menu? I have 4
    >> menu's with a total of 52 apps.

    >
    > I could add as much custom or existing menu's to the desktop or a panel as i
    > want.


    I tried it once to add more then one 'start' button, but the hack I got
    was that I needed to place stuff in /

    > But those 9 apps in the default menu are just fine for me.
    >>
    >> Also if those 9 are the ones you always use, why have them in a menu?
    >> Why not opening them by default on their own workspace?

    >
    > Not sure what you mean with this, having all apps loaded at startup or just
    > the menu's?


    The apps

    > Menu's would be no problem, but i realy would hate it if my system would
    > load all the apps i 'might' use at startup, that would realy annoy me if i
    > would want to boot up my pc and want to use just one app fast.


    Why would you want to boot your PC? Hybernate if you do not want to use
    electricity.

    > Important thing is offcourse that windowmaker or kde can be configured so
    > that it runs and does what you or i want :-)


    Indeed and KDE doesn't

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  8. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant schreef:

    >> And there is a linmitation right there. Why just one menu? I have 4
    >> menu's with a total of 52 apps.

    >
    > I could add as much custom or existing menu's to the desktop or a panel as
    > i want.
    > But those 9 apps in the default menu are just fine for me.


    My desktop, nice and clean:
    http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/101.png
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  9. Re: initial thoughts

    houghi schreef:

    > Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >> I could add as much custom or existing menu's to the desktop or a panel
    >> as i want.

    >
    > I tried it once to add more then one 'start' button, but the hack I got
    > was that I needed to place stuff in /


    I don't mean 'that' menu, you can add any of the submenu's as well.

    >> Menu's would be no problem, but i realy would hate it if my system would
    >> load all the apps i 'might' use at startup, that would realy annoy me if
    >> i would want to boot up my pc and want to use just one app fast.

    >
    > Why would you want to boot your PC? Hybernate if you do not want to use
    > electricity.


    I used to do that but i have enabled a jmicro (or something like that)
    controller for a extra harddrive in the bios that gives problems comming
    out of hybernation.
    It doesn't really bother me because a cold bootup isn't that much slower
    than comming out of hybernation.
    And i'm not that much of a heavy computer user that i have to have all kinds
    of apps running at the same time.
    When i need them they all load within a second.

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  10. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >
    >
    > Chris Maaskant schreef:
    >
    >>> And there is a linmitation right there. Why just one menu? I have 4
    >>> menu's with a total of 52 apps.

    >>
    >> I could add as much custom or existing menu's to the desktop or a panel as
    >> i want.
    >> But those 9 apps in the default menu are just fine for me.

    >
    > My desktop, nice and clean:
    > http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/101.png


    http://houghi.org/shots/wmaker/
    The top 4 are my 4 workspaces on the left screen. The bottom 4 are my
    workspaces on the right.

    This is how my PC looks when I boot it.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  11. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >
    >
    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >> Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >>> I could add as much custom or existing menu's to the desktop or a panel
    >>> as i want.

    >>
    >> I tried it once to add more then one 'start' button, but the hack I got
    >> was that I needed to place stuff in /

    >
    > I don't mean 'that' menu, you can add any of the submenu's as well.


    I treid it on 3.x and it did not work there. Now you click on the Gecko
    and you have your menu structure. I have not been able to place a second
    gecko in the taskbar that shows a different menu.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  12. Re: initial thoughts

    houghi schreef:

    >>> I tried it once to add more then one 'start' button, but the hack I got
    >>> was that I needed to place stuff in /

    >>
    >> I don't mean 'that' menu, you can add any of the submenu's as well.

    >
    > I treid it on 3.x and it did not work there. Now you click on the Gecko
    > and you have your menu structure. I have not been able to place a second
    > gecko in the taskbar that shows a different menu.


    I don't think that's possible either, but it's not what i meant.
    I could create a submenu called games and right click it and then it shows
    me the options to add this menu to the desktop or the main panel.

    Like this: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/102.png

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  13. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >
    >
    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >>>> I tried it once to add more then one 'start' button, but the hack I got
    >>>> was that I needed to place stuff in /
    >>>
    >>> I don't mean 'that' menu, you can add any of the submenu's as well.

    >>
    >> I treid it on 3.x and it did not work there. Now you click on the Gecko
    >> and you have your menu structure. I have not been able to place a second
    >> gecko in the taskbar that shows a different menu.

    >
    > I don't think that's possible either, but it's not what i meant.


    That is what I am talking about.

    > I could create a submenu called games and right click it and then it shows
    > me the options to add this menu to the desktop or the main panel.


    I understand that, but why limit yourself to one 'menu' item?
    http://houghi.org/Fun/wmdrawer01.png

    Just showing two of the four. The questionmarks are things I have not
    yet placed the icon back or have not yet installed on 11.0

    I just hover over it (no need to click) go to the thing I want and then
    click on it. I have disabled the option that tells me what the name is.

    OK, I have my 'taskbar' vertical, but I am sure you can easily imagine
    it being horizontal. Have one 'full' menu and several smaller ones where
    you can pick what you so desire.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  14. Re: initial thoughts

    houghi schreef:

    > OK, I have my 'taskbar' vertical, but I am sure you can easily imagine
    > it being horizontal. Have one 'full' menu and several smaller ones where
    > you can pick what you so desire.
    >


    Like this?: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/103.png
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  15. Re: initial thoughts

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >
    >
    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >> OK, I have my 'taskbar' vertical, but I am sure you can easily imagine
    >> it being horizontal. Have one 'full' menu and several smaller ones where
    >> you can pick what you so desire.
    >>

    >
    > Like this?: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/103.png


    Yes. SO how have you done that, because when I tried it, it did not
    work.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I
    tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free
    because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

  16. Re: initial thoughts

    houghi schreef:

    >> Like this?: http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/103.png

    >
    > Yes. SO how have you done that, because when I tried it, it did not
    > work.
    >


    I right clicked on the gecko button (main menu?) and selected 'menu editor'
    (translated from dutch).
    Once in the menu editor i created a games menu and copied some games into it
    from other submenu's.
    http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/104.png
    I saved the new menu and then i opened the main menu and right clicked on
    the new games menu and selected to add it to the main panel.
    http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/105.png
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  17. Re: initial thoughts

    Just want to add that you can do the same in gnome.
    Right click on a panel and select "add to panel" and add a drawer to the
    panel.
    Once this 'drawer' is added you can right click on it and customize it, give
    it a name and a icon.
    I browsed through my screenshots from over the years, and i found one of
    gnome on SuSE 9.2
    http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/chris.maaskant/106.png
    It seems that i have the game icon i used in the previous screenshots for
    quite some time :-)
    --
    Chris Maaskant

+ Reply to Thread