KDE4 questions - Suse

This is a discussion on KDE4 questions - Suse ; 1) How does one add an application (e.g., konsole) to the task bar? Right-click now only lets you add applets. 2) I changed the keyboard shortcuts in Configure Desktop/ Keyboard&Mouse to use meta (windows) + 1,2,3,4... to switch desktops. But ...

  1. KDE4 questions

    1) How does one add an application (e.g., konsole) to the task bar?
    Right-click now only lets you add applets.
    2) I changed the keyboard shortcuts in Configure Desktop/
    Keyboard&Mouse to use meta (windows) + 1,2,3,4... to switch desktops.
    But this does not work. What am I doing wrong?
    3) The desktop has hung twice now. I guess its back to 3.5

  2. Re: KDE4 questions

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:49:30 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > 1) How does one add an application (e.g., konsole) to the task bar?

    I'm assuming you've switched to the classic menu? Switch back to the new
    (horrible?) one, right click on the menu item to add to taskbar, then
    switch back to classic menu

    > Right-click now only lets you add applets. 2) I changed the keyboard
    > shortcuts in Configure Desktop/ Keyboard&Mouse to use meta (windows) +
    > 1,2,3,4... to switch desktops. But this does not work. What am I doing
    > wrong?

    3) The desktop has hung twice now. I guess its back to 3.5

    Oddly enough, the only crashes I've seen were caused by pan, while
    posting here...

  3. Re: KDE4 questions

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > 1) How does one add an application (e.g., konsole) to the task bar?
    > Right-click now only lets you add applets.
    > 2) I changed the keyboard shortcuts in Configure Desktop/
    > Keyboard&Mouse to use meta (windows) + 1,2,3,4... to switch desktops.
    > But this does not work. What am I doing wrong?
    > 3) The desktop has hung twice now. I guess its back to 3.5

    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

  4. Re: KDE4 questions

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >1) How does one add an application (e.g., konsole) to the task bar?
    >Right-click now only lets you add applets.
    >2) I changed the keyboard shortcuts in Configure Desktop/
    >Keyboard&Mouse to use meta (windows) + 1,2,3,4... to switch desktops.
    >But this does not work. What am I doing wrong?
    >3) The desktop has hung twice now. I guess its back to 3.5

    My general feeling is that KDE 4.0 is not ready for prime time.
    If you are playing with a system it is doubtless fun, but if you
    need your system for production, it is not fun.

    I don't understand why many useful things were removed from 4.0.
    Konsole is only one of them. I too see no way to add them.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: KDE4 questions

    central wrote:
    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:49:30 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    >> 1) How does one add an application (e.g., konsole) to the task bar?

    >I'm assuming you've switched to the classic menu? Switch back to the new
    >(horrible?) one, right click on the menu item to add to taskbar, then
    >switch back to classic menu

    KDE 3.5 lets you right click on the taskbar and then gives you the
    option "Add Application to Panel".

    I'm not on my test system right now so I can't check, but has this
    been removed from KDE 4.0? If so, why was this "improvement" done?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: KDE4 questions

    On 2008-06-24, Paul J Gans wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >>1) How does one add an application (e.g., konsole) to the task bar?
    >>Right-click now only lets you add applets.
    >>2) I changed the keyboard shortcuts in Configure Desktop/
    >>Keyboard&Mouse to use meta (windows) + 1,2,3,4... to switch desktops.
    >>But this does not work. What am I doing wrong?
    >>3) The desktop has hung twice now. I guess its back to 3.5

    > My general feeling is that KDE 4.0 is not ready for prime time.
    > If you are playing with a system it is doubtless fun, but if you
    > need your system for production, it is not fun.
    >
    > I don't understand why many useful things were removed from 4.0.
    > Konsole is only one of them. I too see no way to add them.

    Think it was just renamed a "terminal program" at the bottom of the list;
    at least that is what it is called in suse x86-64.

    My only problem appears to be changing the lcd screen display to a lower
    resolution; bifocals don't do too well at 1280x1024 for text. The desktop
    config allow change but not allow applying!

  7. Re: KDE4 questions

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > I'm not on my test system right now so I can't check, but has this
    > been removed from KDE 4.0? If so, why was this "improvement" done?

    Because nobody told them not to.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.

  8. Re: KDE4 questions

    On Jun 25, 4:32*am, houghi wrote:
    > Paul J Gans wrote:
    > > I'm not on my test system right now so I can't check, but has this
    > > been removed from KDE 4.0? *If so, why was this "improvement" done?

    > Because nobody told them not to.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    > grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    > * * * * * * * * -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

    Has anyone figured out how to add Apps to the task bar? And is KDE 4.1
    better?

  9. Re: KDE4 questions

    houghi wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> I'm not on my test system right now so I can't check, but has this
    >> been removed from KDE 4.0? If so, why was this "improvement" done?

    >Because nobody told them not to.

    Aha! I'd have hoped that some would have found the feature useful.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  10. Re: KDE4 questions

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 4:32 am, houghi wrote:
    >> Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>> I'm not on my test system right now so I can't check, but has this
    >>> been removed from KDE 4.0? If so, why was this "improvement" done?

    >> Because nobody told them not to.
    >>
    >> houghi
    >> --
    >> The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    >> grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    >> -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

    > Has anyone figured out how to add Apps to the task bar? And is KDE 4.1
    > better?

    I've only been able to do this when using the (old) KDE menu style, not
    the SUSE-menu style: Select the desired application from the menu and
    drag to the taskbar.

  11. Re: KDE4 questions

    And I have been unable to find out how to add more than 2 desktops.
    None of the KDE preference menus seem to have this setting. Anyone
    know how to do this?

    Thanks,
    Jim

  12. Re: KDE4 questions

    On 2008-06-25, C.E. Ordonez wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >>> Because nobody told them not to.
    >>>
    >>> houghi
    >>> --
    >>> The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    >>> grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.
    >>> -- Robert A. Heinlein in "The Man Who Sold the Moon"

    >> Has anyone figured out how to add Apps to the task bar? And is KDE 4.1
    >> better?

    > I've only been able to do this when using the (old) KDE menu style, not
    > the SUSE-menu style: Select the desired application from the menu and
    > drag to the taskbar.

    Works in kde4 4.1 beta2. 4.1 beta2 has an "add to taskbar" selection when
    right-clicking the icon on the main (?) selection as in I right-click on firefox
    & added it to the taskbar then did the same for the
    "terminal program"/xterm/console. Not sure it is in 4.0 as didn't do it there.

  13. Re: KDE4 questions

    On 2008-06-26, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > And I have been unable to find out how to add more than 2 desktops.
    > None of the KDE preference menus seem to have this setting. Anyone
    > know how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Don't know about 4.0 but the 4.1 beta2 has it "easy".
    In 4.1 beta2:
    1. select the opensuse(?) icon at bottom left
    2. select the "config desktop"
    a. looks like don't need to be root (bug or new way?)
    3. select appearances
    4. select "desktop" or something like that, don't remember
    a. has a table for how many desktops....haven't tried tho
    & not sure that is exactly what you want

    I have found that the 4.1 beta2 solved my problems of date/time change
    to greenwich time on everytime entering the xwindow; also fixed for me
    is the screen resolution capability (I now am able to reconfigure the
    xwindow to 1024x768; also fixed a few others for my preferences/usage.

    Read 4.1 is scheduled to be released at the end of July.

  14. Re: KDE4 questions

    On Jun 26, 6:36*pm, nobody wrote:
    > On 2008-06-26, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:> And I have been unable to find out how to add more than 2 desktops.
    > > None of the KDE preference menus seem to have this setting. Anyone
    > > know how to do this?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > Don't know about 4.0 but the 4.1 beta2 has it "easy".
    > In 4.1 beta2:
    > * * * * 1. *select the opensuse(?) icon at bottom left
    > * * * * 2. *select the "config desktop"
    > * * * * * * a. *looks like don't need to be root (bug or new way?)
    > * * * * 3. *select appearances
    > * * * * 4. *select "desktop" or something like that, don't remember
    > * * * * * * a. *has a table for how many desktops....haven't tried tho
    > * * * * * * * * & not sure that is exactly what you want
    >
    > I have found that the 4.1 beta2 solved my problems of date/time change
    > to greenwich time on everytime entering the xwindow; also fixed for me
    > is the screen resolution capability (I now am able to reconfigure the
    > xwindow to 1024x768; also fixed a few others for my preferences/usage.
    >
    > Read 4.1 is scheduled to be released at the end of July.

    That does not work in KDE4.0. There is nothing in the config desktop
    to set the number of desktops. It was in 3.5.
    But, if you right-click on the two desktops in the task bar, you can
    get to the setting. Totally non-obvious. A BIG step backwards.

    And I have been unable to change the icon size on the desktop. I found
    the setting, but it does nothing, even after a logout/in.
    Even worse, I get black lines across the desktop at the top and bottom
    of each application window. This is unusable.

  15. Re: KDE4 questions

    On 2008-06-27, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 6:36*pm, nobody wrote:
    >> On 2008-06-26, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:> And I have been unable to find out how to add more than 2 desktops.
    >> > None of the KDE preference menus seem to have this setting. Anyone
    >> > know how to do this?

    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Jim

    >> Don't know about 4.0 but the 4.1 beta2 has it "easy".
    >> In 4.1 beta2:
    >> * * * * 1. *select the opensuse(?) icon at bottom left
    >> * * * * 2. *select the "config desktop"
    >> * * * * * * a. *looks like don't need to be root (bug or new way?)
    >> * * * * 3. *select appearances
    >> * * * * 4. *select "desktop" or something like that, don't remember
    >> * * * * * * a. *has a table for how many desktops....haven't tried tho
    >> * * * * * * * * & not sure that is exactly what you want
    >>
    >> I have found that the 4.1 beta2 solved my problems of date/time change
    >> to greenwich time on everytime entering the xwindow; also fixed for me
    >> is the screen resolution capability (I now am able to reconfigure the
    >> xwindow to 1024x768; also fixed a few others for my preferences/usage.
    >>
    >> Read 4.1 is scheduled to be released at the end of July.

    > That does not work in KDE4.0. There is nothing in the config desktop
    > to set the number of desktops. It was in 3.5.
    > But, if you right-click on the two desktops in the task bar, you can
    > get to the setting. Totally non-obvious. A BIG step backwards.
    >
    > And I have been unable to change the icon size on the desktop. I found
    > the setting, but it does nothing, even after a logout/in.
    > Even worse, I get black lines across the desktop at the top and bottom
    > of each application window. This is unusable.

    I went to the 4.1 beta2 only because I wasn't able to go back to 3.x even
    tho I installed it (after trying 3.0); 4.1 beta2 was the only option for
    me other than start over again. 4.1 beta2 is "more" stable & usable
    than 4.0. Will need to try vlc for video streaming to see if that works;
    & a few other things.

+ Reply to Thread