11.0 Problems - Suse

This is a discussion on 11.0 Problems - Suse ; I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a repair, and ...

  1. 11.0 Problems

    I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an
    error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never
    finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a
    repair, and then another update, with still no success.

    So I trashed my system and did a new install. But I have some
    problems.
    1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    replaces it?
    2) The failed installs removed Windows from my Grub list. How do I get
    my ability to boot Windows back?
    The boot configuration menu lists windows1, windows2, and windows3
    3) I figured out that I can run Yast2 from the KDE menu, but how do I
    run things like smart without using sux?
    The text mode yast2 does not seem to have settings for the route and
    dns unless I am missing something.

    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: 11.0 Problems

    On Jun 22, 11:57*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an
    > error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never
    > finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a
    > repair, and then another update, with still no success.
    >
    > So I trashed my system and did a new install. But I have some
    > problems.
    > 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    > replaces it?
    > 2) The failed installs removed Windows from my Grub list. How do I get
    > my ability to boot Windows back?
    > The boot configuration menu lists windows1, windows2, and windows3
    > 3) I figured out that I can run Yast2 from the KDE menu, but how do I
    > run things like smart without using sux?
    > The text mode yast2 does not seem to have settings for the route and
    > dns unless I am missing something.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    I tried booting off of Windows 1. The login screen came up, but then
    the video trashed and all I see is the login background and a bunch of
    horizontal lines. Help!

  3. Re: 11.0 Problems

    wrote:
    > I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an
    > error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never
    > finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a
    > repair, and then another update, with still no success.
    >
    > So I trashed my system and did a new install. But I have some
    > problems.
    > 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    > replaces it?
    > 2) The failed installs removed Windows from my Grub list. How do I get
    > my ability to boot Windows back?
    > The boot configuration menu lists windows1, windows2, and windows3
    > 3) I figured out that I can run Yast2 from the KDE menu, but how do I
    > run things like smart without using sux?
    > The text mode yast2 does not seem to have settings for the route and
    > dns unless I am missing something.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Windows 2 seems to work. What happened to my system?

  4. Re: 11.0 Problems

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an
    > error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never
    > finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a
    > repair, and then another update, with still no success.
    >
    > So I trashed my system and did a new install. But I have some
    > problems.
    > 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    > replaces it?
    > 2) The failed installs removed Windows from my Grub list. How do I get
    > my ability to boot Windows back?
    > The boot configuration menu lists windows1, windows2, and windows3
    > 3) I figured out that I can run Yast2 from the KDE menu, but how do I
    > run things like smart without using sux?
    > The text mode yast2 does not seem to have settings for the route and
    > dns unless I am missing something.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Can only help you with the second question: When you are running Vista,
    every Windows partition is listed in the grub menu. You have to sort out
    which one is the bootable one, and remove the others.
    I did a 11-64bit install on my Thinkpad T61, and everything went ok,
    except for this Grub-problem

    Joost

  5. Re: 11.0 Problems

    On Jun 23, 12:36*am, Joost van der Waa
    wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an
    > > error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never
    > > finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a
    > > repair, and then another update, with still no success.

    > > So I trashed my system and did a new install. But I have some
    > > problems.
    > > 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    > > replaces it?
    > > 2) The failed installs removed Windows from my Grub list. How do I get
    > > my ability to boot Windows back?
    > > The boot configuration menu lists windows1, windows2, and windows3
    > > 3) I figured out that I can run Yast2 from the KDE menu, but how do I
    > > run things like smart without using sux?
    > > The text mode yast2 does not seem to have settings for the route and
    > > dns unless I am missing something.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > Can only help you with the second question: When you are running Vista,
    > every Windows partition is listed in the grub menu. You have to sort out
    > which one is the bootable one, and remove the others.
    > I did a 11-64bit install on my Thinkpad T61, and everything went ok,
    > except for this Grub-problem
    >
    > Joost

    I am running XP Pro. But your advice still is good.

  6. Re: 11.0 Problems

    Joost van der Waa wrote:
    > Can only help you with the second question: When you are running Vista,
    > every Windows partition is listed in the grub menu. You have to sort out
    > which one is the bootable one, and remove the others.
    > I did a 11-64bit install on my Thinkpad T61, and everything went ok,
    > except for this Grub-problem
    >
    > Joost

    is there still LILO available or just GRUB?

  7. Re: 11.0 Problems

    wrote:
    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    > > I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an
    > > error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never
    > > finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a
    > > repair, and then another update, with still no success.

    > > So I trashed my system and did a new install. But I have some
    > > problems.
    > > 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    > > replaces it?
    > > 2) The failed installs removed Windows from my Grub list. How do I get
    > > my ability to boot Windows back?
    > > The boot configuration menu lists windows1, windows2, and windows3
    > > 3) I figured out that I can run Yast2 from the KDE menu, but how do I
    > > run things like smart without using sux?
    > > The text mode yast2 does not seem to have settings for the route and
    > > dns unless I am missing something.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    > Can only help you with the second question: When you are running Vista,
    > every Windows partition is listed in the grub menu. You have to sort out
    > which one is the bootable one, and remove the others.
    > I did a 11-64bit install on my Thinkpad T61, and everything went ok,
    > except for this Grub-problem
    >
    > Joost

    I am running XP Pro. But your advice still is good.

  8. Re: 11.0 Problems

    On Jun 23, 9:31*am, Casperius wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa wrote:
    >
    > > Can only help you with the second question: When you are running Vista,
    > > every Windows partition is listed in the grub menu. You have to sort out
    > > which one is the bootable one, and remove the others.
    > > I did a 11-64bit install on my Thinkpad T61, and everything went ok,
    > > except for this Grub-problem

    > > Joost

    > is there still LILO available or just GRUB?

    I see Grub. I think that problem is fixed. But I still wonder how to
    replace sux.

  9. Re: 11.0 Problems

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    > replaces it?

    ssh -X root@localhost? You might have to configure /etc/ssh/sshd.conf in
    order to allow both for X forwarding and root login. Restricting root
    connections to localhost might be appropriate as well.

    GŁnther

  10. Re: 11.0 Problems

    GŁnther Schwarz wrote:

    > jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    >> replaces it?

    > ssh -X root@localhost? You might have to configure /etc/ssh/sshd.conf in
    > order to allow both for X forwarding and root login. Restricting root
    > connections to localhost might be appropriate as well.

    `su - -c /sbin/whatever` works as well.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  11. Re: 11.0 Problems

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:40:21 -0700, jamesromeongmail.com wrote:

    > I see Grub. I think that problem is fixed. But I still wonder how to
    > replace sux.

    You can use 'su -m' and even 'su'.

  12. Re: 11.0 Problems

    jamesromeongmail.com wrote:
    >On Jun 22, 11:57¬*pm, "jamesromeongmail.com"
    >wrote:
    >> I tried upgrading from 10.3. At the end, the system said there was an
    >> error installing a package (not telling me which one), and it never
    >> finished the install, leving me in an unbootable situation. I tried a
    >> repair, and then another update, with still no success.
    >>
    >> So I trashed my system and did a new install. But I have some
    >> problems.
    >> 1) How do I run X things as root? sux seems to have disappeared. What
    >> replaces it?
    >> 2) The failed installs removed Windows from my Grub list. How do I get
    >> my ability to boot Windows back?
    >> The boot configuration menu lists windows1, windows2, and windows3
    >> 3) I figured out that I can run Yast2 from the KDE menu, but how do I
    >> run things like smart without using sux?
    >> The text mode yast2 does not seem to have settings for the route and
    >> dns unless I am missing something.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    >Windows 2 seems to work. What happened to my system?

    I have no idea. The rule seems to be that upgrading a Suse system
    does not work in general. While some folks have had success, lots
    of folks have had serious problems. This is not something new with
    11.0. It goes back a long long way.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  13. Re: 11.0 Problems

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > I have no idea. The rule seems to be that upgrading a Suse system
    > does not work in general. While some folks have had success, lots
    > of folks have had serious problems. This is not something new with
    > 11.0. It goes back a long long way.

    I agree partly. I would change the wording to:
    While a lot of people have had success, some have had serious problems.

    houghi
    --
    The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
    grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.

+ Reply to Thread