10.3 to 11.0 update fails - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 to 11.0 update fails - Suse ; Ran the DVD installer against one of my 10.3 systems and selected update the installed system. Everything worked wonderfully well until it came time for the first boot -- Grub gave me an Error 15 - File Not Found. I ...

  1. 10.3 to 11.0 update fails

    Ran the DVD installer against one of my 10.3 systems and selected update the
    installed system. Everything worked wonderfully well until it came time for
    the first boot -- Grub gave me an Error 15 - File Not Found.

    I tried the automatic system repair function and it claimed that it could
    not find any root partition.

    This system uses LVM for the /home, /root and /swap partitions. The /boot
    partition is a standard partition living on /dev/sda2.

    Looked at Grub and the entries seemed to be OK.

    Started the rescue system and mounted /dev/sda2 read only and it did not
    contain vmlinuz or initrd! That sort of explains the File Not Found error
    from Grub.

    The LVM starts in the rescue system and lvdisplay shows
    that /dev/system/home /dev/system/root and /dev/system/swap are alive and
    well.

    Fortunately this is not a production system so I could just do a new install
    but I would prefer not to do so.

    Any ideas on how to create or find the missing /boot files, i.e., vmlinuz
    and initrd?

    Will creating or finding those files solve the "no valid root partition"
    error or is that a separate problem?

  2. Re: 10.3 to 11.0 update fails

    Jack Bunce wrote:

    > Ran the DVD installer against one of my 10.3 systems and selected
    > update the installed system. Everything worked wonderfully well until
    > it came time for the first boot -- Grub gave me an Error 15 - File Not
    > Found.

    > This system uses LVM for the /home, /root and /swap partitions. The
    > /boot partition is a standard partition living on /dev/sda2.
    >
    > Looked at Grub and the entries seemed to be OK.

    /boot/grub/menu.lst? That is not the complete story as far as grub is
    concerned ;-)

    > Started the rescue system and mounted /dev/sda2 read only and it did
    > not contain vmlinuz or initrd! That sort of explains the File Not
    > Found error from Grub.
    >
    > The LVM starts in the rescue system and lvdisplay shows
    > that /dev/system/home /dev/system/root and /dev/system/swap are alive
    > and well.
    >
    > Fortunately this is not a production system so I could just do a new
    > install but I would prefer not to do so.

    With just the boot partition or boot loader screwed up this won't be
    necessary.

    > Any ideas on how to create or find the missing /boot files, i.e.,
    > vmlinuz and initrd?

    The kernel is in the kernel*.rpm package. Use your rpm package handler
    of choice on a working system to retrieve it from the installation DVD.
    As for the initrd: check the manual how to create an initrd with the
    right modules for your system.

    > Will creating or finding those files solve the "no valid root
    > partition" error or is that a separate problem?

    That might well be a separate problem. For example if the MBR record
    does not point to your /boot partition or if your /boot/grub/device.map
    is not correct.
    One in many ways to fix grub is to add a small OS like FreeDOS or Damn
    Small Linux in the /boot partition and make sure this starts prior to
    working on the kernel and initrd problem.

    G√ľnther

  3. Re: 10.3 to 11.0 update fails

    Jack Bunce wrote:
    > Ran the DVD installer against one of my 10.3 systems and selected update the
    > installed system. Everything worked wonderfully well until it came time for
    > the first boot -- Grub gave me an Error 15 - File Not Found.
    >
    > I tried the automatic system repair function and it claimed that it could
    > not find any root partition.
    >
    > This system uses LVM for the /home, /root and /swap partitions. The /boot
    > partition is a standard partition living on /dev/sda2.
    >
    > Looked at Grub and the entries seemed to be OK.
    >
    > Started the rescue system and mounted /dev/sda2 read only and it did not
    > contain vmlinuz or initrd! That sort of explains the File Not Found error
    > from Grub.
    >
    > The LVM starts in the rescue system and lvdisplay shows
    > that /dev/system/home /dev/system/root and /dev/system/swap are alive and
    > well.
    >
    > Fortunately this is not a production system so I could just do a new install
    > but I would prefer not to do so.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to create or find the missing /boot files, i.e., vmlinuz
    > and initrd?
    >
    > Will creating or finding those files solve the "no valid root partition"
    > error or is that a separate problem?

    So 11.0 not yet ready for prime time?

    --
    Claude Hopper

  4. Re: 10.3 to 11.0 update fails

    Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
    > Jack Bunce wrote:
    >> Ran the DVD installer against one of my 10.3 systems and selected
    >> update the
    >> installed system. Everything worked wonderfully well until it came
    >> time for
    >> the first boot -- Grub gave me an Error 15 - File Not Found.
    >>
    >> I tried the automatic system repair function and it claimed that it could
    >> not find any root partition.
    >> This system uses LVM for the /home, /root and /swap partitions. The /boot
    >> partition is a standard partition living on /dev/sda2.
    >>
    >> Looked at Grub and the entries seemed to be OK.
    >>
    >> Started the rescue system and mounted /dev/sda2 read only and it did not
    >> contain vmlinuz or initrd! That sort of explains the File Not Found error
    >> from Grub.
    >>
    >> The LVM starts in the rescue system and lvdisplay shows
    >> that /dev/system/home /dev/system/root and /dev/system/swap are alive and
    >> well.
    >>
    >> Fortunately this is not a production system so I could just do a new
    >> install
    >> but I would prefer not to do so.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on how to create or find the missing /boot files, i.e., vmlinuz
    >> and initrd?
    >>
    >> Will creating or finding those files solve the "no valid root partition"
    >> error or is that a separate problem?

    > So 11.0 not yet ready for prime time?

    I kept my 10.3 installation on my SATA drive.
    I installed 11.0 on the PATA drive where W@k exists on an NTFS partition.
    The 11.0 installation went flawless. After install my NTFS W2k no longer
    boots and the 10.3 entry in grub would not boot 10.3.
    I can still boot 10.3 by changing the boot preference in bios to the
    SATA first. W2K is trashed.

    --
    Claude Hopper

  5. Re: 10.3 to 11.0 update fails

    Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
    > Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote:
    >> Jack Bunce wrote:
    >>> Ran the DVD installer against one of my 10.3 systems and selected
    >>> update the
    >>> installed system. Everything worked wonderfully well until it came
    >>> time for
    >>> the first boot -- Grub gave me an Error 15 - File Not Found.
    >>>
    >>> I tried the automatic system repair function and it claimed that it
    >>> could
    >>> not find any root partition.
    >>> This system uses LVM for the /home, /root and /swap partitions. The
    >>> /boot
    >>> partition is a standard partition living on /dev/sda2.
    >>>
    >>> Looked at Grub and the entries seemed to be OK.
    >>>
    >>> Started the rescue system and mounted /dev/sda2 read only and it did not
    >>> contain vmlinuz or initrd! That sort of explains the File Not Found
    >>> error
    >>> from Grub.
    >>>
    >>> The LVM starts in the rescue system and lvdisplay shows
    >>> that /dev/system/home /dev/system/root and /dev/system/swap are alive
    >>> and
    >>> well.
    >>>
    >>> Fortunately this is not a production system so I could just do a new
    >>> install
    >>> but I would prefer not to do so.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how to create or find the missing /boot files, i.e.,
    >>> vmlinuz
    >>> and initrd?
    >>>
    >>> Will creating or finding those files solve the "no valid root partition"
    >>> error or is that a separate problem?

    >> So 11.0 not yet ready for prime time?
    >>

    > I kept my 10.3 installation on my SATA drive.
    > I installed 11.0 on the PATA drive where W@k exists on an NTFS partition.
    > The 11.0 installation went flawless. After install my NTFS W2k no longer
    > boots and the 10.3 entry in grub would not boot 10.3.
    > I can still boot 10.3 by changing the boot preference in bios to the
    > SATA first. W2K is trashed.

    PS: I was able to recover my W2K partition by creating a small fat32
    partition after it. Isn't that strange?

    --
    Claude Hopper