Re: Has anyone seen this yet? - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Has anyone seen this yet? - Suse ; In Algazm: [Snip...] > Any suggestions for a "replacement" for Verizon's newsgroup service? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html Also, lotsa threads about this fsckup in news.software.readers (et al). BTW, I hope Mario Cuomo enjoys living in his cramped ignorant headspace. > Free ones? Check ...

  1. Re: Has anyone seen this yet?

    In Algazm:

    [Snip...]

    > Any suggestions for a "replacement" for Verizon's newsgroup service?

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

    Also, lotsa threads about this fsckup in news.software.readers (et al).

    BTW, I hope Mario Cuomo enjoys living in his cramped ignorant headspace.

    > Free ones?

    Check 'em out. IMO, I pay for services if they're worth it TO ME. This is
    one of the reasons I do NOT have a cellphone, or cable/satellite TV.

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  2. Re: Has anyone seen this yet?

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    >> Any suggestions for a "replacement" for Verizon's newsgroup service?

    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

    The Usenet4All.se filters out GG and also it is slow sometimes to show
    the new posts and miss posts.

    The servers I use:
    root@penne : grep ^server /etc/leafnode/config|awk '{print $NF}'
    news.cnntp.org # Subscribe
    forums.opensuse.org # for http://forums.opensuse.org
    news.dommel.be # My porvider
    news.motzarella.org # Subscribe
    news.albasani.net # Subscribe
    news.sunsite.dk # Subscribe
    newszilla.xs4all.nl # My provider Free via IPv6. Binaries
    news.xs4all.nl # My provider Free via IPv6. Text
    news.gmane.org # Mailinglists
    fb1.euro.net # be. and nl. only
    news.readfreenews.net # Single payment. Free later
    news.x-privat.org # Subscribe
    news.news4us.nl # Subscribe

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  3. Re: Has anyone seen this yet?

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    , Harold Stevens wrote:

    In Algazm:

    >> Any suggestions for a "replacement" for Verizon's newsgroup service?

    Sure - simply get rid of Verizon. There really are other less sucky ISPs.

    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

    Yeah - I've been posting that link as well. Note that if you do stay
    with Verizon, you'll be stuck with the 17 sanctioned 'comp.os.linux.*'
    groups, and any others that may leak passed (the server I'm using has
    13 additional unsanctioned comp.os.linux.* newsgroups). You'll need to
    be using a newsreader than can kill articles with a Message-ID that
    contains the string 'googlegroups.com' to avoid the spam that floods
    comp.os.linux.misc - but that's trivial.

    >Also, lotsa threads about this fsckup in news.software.readers (et al).

    Yup - it's also a big-to-do in other 'alt.os.linux.*' groups.

    >BTW, I hope Mario Cuomo enjoys living in his cramped ignorant headspace.

    Cuomo is merely a politician getting blamed for the idiocies of a few
    major ISPs. He has absolutely no understanding of what a freakin'
    computer is, never mind something as complicated as the Internet and
    Usenet. Besides, as the ex-mayor of New York City, he knows you can get
    all the pr0n you need in stores in every district of the city, but good
    people don't shop there. The _do_ use this Interweb-thingy. Some have
    stated that Verizon/TimeWarner/Sprint/et.al. intentionally _ignored_
    the child-pr0n on their servers so that Cuomo could be perceived as the
    cause of the problem - that way, they get to eliminate this irrelevant
    service that is costing them several thousand bucks a month, and you
    KNOW they aren't going to reduce the prices they are ripping off. Look
    at how the sheep keep buying computers that are loaded with redmond-ware.
    After all, who cares about a minority who happen to use computers.

    (COMMENT: On the server I'm using, there are 35962 news groups whose
    name begins with the string 'alt' - and 73,000 others, which includes
    4693 in the "Big-8" hierarchies, only 2290 of which show up on the
    monthly "List of Big Eight Newsgroups" published in the newsgroups
    news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, and news.lists.misc. Look at
    all of the disk-space/bandwidth the ISP will save!!!)

    >> Free ones?

    In addition to the list on blinkynet.net, you can find others on
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet..._News_Servers/
    http://www.geocities.com/freefreenews/ and the newsgroup
    alt.free.newsservers.

    >Check 'em out. IMO, I pay for services if they're worth it TO ME. This is
    >one of the reasons I do NOT have a cellphone, or cable/satellite TV.

    I do have a cellphone, and sometimes even turn it on. cable/satellite?
    Every week I get an advertisement from the local cable and local phone
    providers (****s and QWorst) offering that crap. I think the last time
    I turned on the TV was in February - it seems that everything on the
    gazillion channels is aimed at the five year old mind, or is a clone of
    something that someone else ran successfully ten years ago. Someone must
    like it - but there are no five year old minds in the house, so that's
    not for me.

    >JMO; YMMV...

    #include
    #include

    Old guy

  4. Re: Has anyone seen this yet?

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:06:02 UTC, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    (Moe Trin) wrote:

> [...]

    > In addition to the list on blinkynet.net, you can find others on
    > http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet..._News_Servers/
    > http://www.geocities.com/freefreenews/ and the newsgroup
    > alt.free.newsservers.
    >
    > >Check 'em out. IMO, I pay for services if they're worth it TO ME. This is
    > >one of the reasons I do NOT have a cellphone, or cable/satellite TV.

    > I do have a cellphone, and sometimes even turn it on. cable/satellite?
    > Every week I get an advertisement from the local cable and local phone
    > providers (****s and QWorst) offering that crap. I think the last time
    > I turned on the TV was in February - it seems that everything on the
    > gazillion channels is aimed at the five year old mind, or is a clone of
    > something that someone else ran successfully ten years ago. Someone must
    > like it - but there are no five year old minds in the house, so that's

    Thanks for all the "Tips" here. I subscribed to Individual NET with
    immediate results $15.97/YR USD and very pleased.
    Paul
    --

  5. Re: Has anyone seen this yet?

    PaulRS wrote:
    >On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:06:02 UTC, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    >(Moe Trin) wrote:

    >> Yeah - I've been posting that link as well. Note that if you do stay
    >> with Verizon, you'll be stuck with the 17 sanctioned 'comp.os.linux.*'
    >> groups, and any others that may leak passed (the server I'm using has
    >> 13 additional unsanctioned comp.os.linux.* newsgroups). You'll need to
    >> be using a newsreader than can kill articles with a Message-ID that
    >> contains the string 'googlegroups.com' to avoid the spam that floods
    >> comp.os.linux.misc - but that's trivial.
    >>
    >> >Also, lotsa threads about this fsckup in news.software.readers (et al).

    >> Yup - it's also a big-to-do in other 'alt.os.linux.*' groups.
    >>
    >> >BTW, I hope Mario Cuomo enjoys living in his cramped ignorant headspace.

    Mario Cuomo? Surely you jest.

    >> Cuomo is merely a politician getting blamed for the idiocies of a few
    >> major ISPs. He has absolutely no understanding of what a freakin'
    >> computer is, never mind something as complicated as the Internet and
    >> Usenet.

    Please check your facts before your outrage spews all over your
    keyboard. I suspect you mean Andrew Cuomo, not Mario. Mario is
    long since retired from politics.

    >> Besides, as the ex-mayor of New York City, he knows you can get
    >> all the pr0n you need in stores in every district of the city, but good
    >> people don't shop there.

    Neither Mario nor Andrew are or ever were mayors of New York City.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: Has anyone seen this yet?

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 02:05:01 UTC, Paul J Gans wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > >On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:06:02 UTC, ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld
    > >(Moe Trin) wrote:

    > >> Yeah - I've been posting that link as well. Note that if you do stay
    > >> with Verizon, you'll be stuck with the 17 sanctioned 'comp.os.linux.*'
    > >> groups, and any others that may leak passed (the server I'm using has
    > >> 13 additional unsanctioned comp.os.linux.* newsgroups). You'll need to
    > >> be using a newsreader than can kill articles with a Message-ID that
    > >> contains the string 'googlegroups.com' to avoid the spam that floods
    > >> comp.os.linux.misc - but that's trivial.

    > >> Yup - it's also a big-to-do in other 'alt.os.linux.*' groups.

    > Mario Cuomo? Surely you jest.
    >
    > >> Cuomo is merely a politician getting blamed for the idiocies of a few
    > >> major ISPs. He has absolutely no understanding of what a freakin'
    > >> computer is, never mind something as complicated as the Internet and
    > >> Usenet.

    > Please check your facts before your outrage spews all over your
    > keyboard. I suspect you mean Andrew Cuomo, not Mario. Mario is
    > long since retired from politics.
    >
    > >> Besides, as the ex-mayor of New York City, he knows you can get
    > >> all the pr0n you need in stores in every district of the city, but good
    > >> people don't shop there.

    > Neither Mario nor Andrew are or ever were mayors of New York City.

    I know your "heart" was seeking to correct the errors in the Cuomo
    stuff, BUT PLEASE attach your reply to the right poster. It looks
    like I said all that stuff from your reply. Anyone can see from all
    the ">>" marks that it was coming from a previous poster.

    My only point was to thank those who posted other options for
    Newsservers . . . Perhaps I should have deleted the previous poster's
    stuff . . .
    Paul