10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically - Suse ; Maybe not Suse specific at all, but anyway: Firefox starts normally and runs just fine for a while. After opening several pages, adding and closing tabs and stuff for a while everything slows down to waiting forever. Like half a ...

  1. 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    Maybe not Suse specific at all, but anyway:
    Firefox starts normally and runs just fine for a while.

    After opening several pages, adding and closing tabs and stuff for a
    while everything slows down to waiting forever. Like half a minute
    operation to change/close/open a tab.

    Shutting FF down also takes a long time but then after starting it again
    I'm back in square one, just fine for a while.

    I've been wondering about this:

    about:config, ipv
    network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains value=string .doubleclick.net

    What is that?

    network.dns.disableIPv6 = user set, boolean, true

    That should be OK?

    I've tried to browse only my own (localhost) site, too but it happens
    then also.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  2. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On 2008-06-08, Vahis wrote:
    > Maybe not Suse specific at all, but anyway:
    > Firefox starts normally and runs just fine for a while.
    >
    > After opening several pages, adding and closing tabs and stuff for a
    > while everything slows down to waiting forever. Like half a minute
    > operation to change/close/open a tab.
    >
    > Shutting FF down also takes a long time but then after starting it again
    > I'm back in square one, just fine for a while.
    >
    > I've been wondering about this:
    >
    > about:config, ipv
    > network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains value=string .doubleclick.net
    >
    > What is that?
    >
    > network.dns.disableIPv6 = user set, boolean, true
    >
    > That should be OK?
    >
    > I've tried to browse only my own (localhost) site, too but it happens
    > then also.
    >
    > Vahis

    Addtion:

    I opened FF on my home page and browsed a couple pages.
    Then I left it alone.

    After ten minutes it was like a fly in a tar pit.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  3. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    Vahis wrote:
    > On 2008-06-08, Vahis wrote:
    >> Maybe not Suse specific at all, but anyway:
    >> Firefox starts normally and runs just fine for a while.
    >>
    >> After opening several pages, adding and closing tabs and stuff for a
    >> while everything slows down to waiting forever. Like half a minute
    >> operation to change/close/open a tab.
    >>
    >> Shutting FF down also takes a long time but then after starting it again
    >> I'm back in square one, just fine for a while.
    >>
    >> I've been wondering about this:
    >>
    >> about:config, ipv
    >> network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains value=string .doubleclick.net
    >>
    >> What is that?
    >>
    >> network.dns.disableIPv6 = user set, boolean, true
    >>
    >> That should be OK?
    >>
    >> I've tried to browse only my own (localhost) site, too but it happens
    >> then also.
    >>
    >> Vahis

    > Addtion:
    >
    > I opened FF on my home page and browsed a couple pages.
    > Then I left it alone.
    >
    > After ten minutes it was like a fly in a tar pit.
    >
    > Vahis

    Is there a memory leak anywhere?
    Jack

  4. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    jack wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> On 2008-06-08, Vahis wrote:
    >>> Maybe not Suse specific at all, but anyway:
    >>> Firefox starts normally and runs just fine for a while.
    >>>
    >>> After opening several pages, adding and closing tabs and stuff for a
    >>> while everything slows down to waiting forever. Like half a minute
    >>> operation to change/close/open a tab.
    >>>
    >>> Shutting FF down also takes a long time but then after starting it again
    >>> I'm back in square one, just fine for a while.
    >>> I've been wondering about this:
    >>>
    >>> about:config, ipv
    >>> network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains value=string .doubleclick.net
    >>>
    >>> What is that?
    >>>
    >>> network.dns.disableIPv6 = user set, boolean, true
    >>>
    >>> That should be OK?
    >>>
    >>> I've tried to browse only my own (localhost) site, too but it happens
    >>> then also.
    >>>
    >>> Vahis

    >> Addtion:
    >>
    >> I opened FF on my home page and browsed a couple pages.
    >> Then I left it alone.
    >>
    >> After ten minutes it was like a fly in a tar pit.
    >>
    >> Vahis

    > Is there a memory leak anywhere?
    > Jack

    Not that I know of. How can one tell?
    Top is not showing any significant memory usage.
    CPU is high IMHO. This goes up during time although nothing special is
    going on in the browser.

    I noticed that if a page with a flash banner is open all this crap
    happens more rapidly.

    I've changed nothing (updates only) since the launch of openSUSE 10.3.
    I've removed now the /firefox directory from /.mozilla.
    That seems to have helped, I'm waiting for things to start happening,
    nothing yet after a couple of hours.

    Vahis

  5. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    Vahis wrote:

    > Not that I know of. How can one tell?
    > Top is not showing any significant memory usage.
    > CPU is high IMHO. This goes up during time although nothing special is
    > going on in the browser.
    >
    > I noticed that if a page with a flash banner is open all this crap
    > happens more rapidly.
    >
    > I've changed nothing (updates only) since the launch of openSUSE 10.3.
    > I've removed now the /firefox directory from /.mozilla.
    > That seems to have helped, I'm waiting for things to start happening,
    > nothing yet after a couple of hours.

    I have it too since a week or so.

    Derk

  6. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On 2008-06-08, Derk wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> Not that I know of. How can one tell?
    >> Top is not showing any significant memory usage.
    >> CPU is high IMHO. This goes up during time although nothing special is
    >> going on in the browser.
    >>
    >> I noticed that if a page with a flash banner is open all this crap
    >> happens more rapidly.
    >>
    >> I've changed nothing (updates only) since the launch of openSUSE 10.3.
    >> I've removed now the /firefox directory from /.mozilla.
    >> That seems to have helped, I'm waiting for things to start happening,
    >> nothing yet after a couple of hours.

    > I have it too since a week or so.
    >
    > Derk

    We must have been surfing to the same site during the week and got
    our tubes packed with mammalian protuberances

    But I've now been running it for some time with the new
    /home/.mozilla/firefox

    No probs so far, fast as ever before...

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  7. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    "Vahis" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-08, Derk wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not that I know of. How can one tell?
    >>> Top is not showing any significant memory usage.
    >>> CPU is high IMHO. This goes up during time although nothing special is
    >>> going on in the browser.
    >>>
    >>> I noticed that if a page with a flash banner is open all this crap
    >>> happens more rapidly.
    >>>
    >>> I've changed nothing (updates only) since the launch of openSUSE 10.3.
    >>> I've removed now the /firefox directory from /.mozilla.
    >>> That seems to have helped, I'm waiting for things to start happening,
    >>> nothing yet after a couple of hours.

    >> I have it too since a week or so.
    >>
    >> Derk
    >>

    > We must have been surfing to the same site during the week and got
    > our tubes packed with mammalian protuberances
    >
    > But I've now been running it for some time with the new
    > /home/.mozilla/firefox
    >
    > No probs so far, fast as ever before...
    >
    > Vahis
    > --
    > Training new things here:
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com
    > "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    > Henry Ford

    If it helps I get exactly the same problem with Firefox on M$ xp pro and
    have done for quite a while now.
    Tdp..
    Cambridge..

  8. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On 2008-06-10, TDP wrote:

    > "Vahis" wrote in message

    >>> I have it too since a week or so.
    >>>
    >>> Derk
    >>>

    >> But I've now been running it for some time with the new
    >> /home/.mozilla/firefox
    >>
    >> No probs so far, fast as ever before...

    It keeps running fine so far.

    > If it helps I get exactly the same problem with Firefox on M$ xp pro and
    > have done for quite a while now.
    > Tdp..
    > Cambridge..

    Try to remove its folder. It helped here.
    I have kept the old crapped one and maybe some day I'll start testing
    which files cause this when moved back. Maybe.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  9. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    Vahis wrote:
    > Try to remove its folder. It helped here.
    > I have kept the old crapped one and maybe some day I'll start testing
    > which files cause this when moved back. Maybe.

    Aren't the files in that folder needed for something? Can I just delete it?

    Derk

  10. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:29:15 +0200
    Derk wrote:

    >Vahis wrote:
    >> Try to remove its folder. It helped here.
    >> I have kept the old crapped one and maybe some day I'll start testing
    >> which files cause this when moved back. Maybe.

    >Aren't the files in that folder needed for something? Can I just
    >delete it?

    Usually not a good idea. Just rename it. Then you can copy files out of
    it (like bookmarks) if you need them. Also, you can copy one file at a
    time to see which one causes the problem.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.22.17-0.1-default
    10:59pm up 2 days 10:02, 21 users, load average: 0.44, 0.49, 0.54

  11. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On 2008-06-11, Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:29:15 +0200
    > Derk wrote:
    >
    >>Vahis wrote:
    >>> Try to remove its folder. It helped here.
    >>> I have kept the old crapped one and maybe some day I'll start testing
    >>> which files cause this when moved back. Maybe.

    >>Aren't the files in that folder needed for something? Can I just
    >>delete it?

    When you delete (or rename or move to another place) FF recreates it.
    Then you miss stuff like bookmarks. That is no problem fore me, I just
    rewinstall GoogleBrowserSync which synchronizes my bookmarks with
    Google server. Or one can copy the bookmarks back from the renamed/moved
    old directory.

    I deleted everything to make sure there's nothing left. I don't know
    where the problem is so I don't know what else to delete trhan
    everything.

    > Usually not a good idea. Just rename it. Then you can copy files out of
    > it (like bookmarks) if you need them. Also, you can copy one file at a
    > time to see which one causes the problem.

    Like I said, this I might do later. Maybe. Perhaps someone has done that
    already and we will get to know about it somehow.

    If not I may try it. Not sure. No biggie now since my trick worked.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  12. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 06:24:37 GMT
    Vahis wrote:

    >When you delete (or rename or move to another place) FF recreates it.
    >Then you miss stuff like bookmarks. That is no problem fore me, I just
    >rewinstall GoogleBrowserSync which synchronizes my bookmarks with
    >Google server. Or one can copy the bookmarks back from the
    >renamed/moved old directory.

    I'm still using linkagogo . . . ;-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.22.17-0.1-default
    10:19pm up 3 days 9:22, 21 users, load average: 0.19, 0.42, 0.56

  13. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On 2008-06-12, Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 06:24:37 GMT
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >>When you delete (or rename or move to another place) FF recreates it.
    >>Then you miss stuff like bookmarks. That is no problem fore me, I just
    >>rewinstall GoogleBrowserSync which synchronizes my bookmarks with
    >>Google server. Or one can copy the bookmarks back from the
    >>renamed/moved old directory.
    >>

    > I'm still using linkagogo . . . ;-)

    I had that a while back

    I prefer Browser sync. It's so automatic, syncs all machines nicely.
    It only works with FF though being an addon to it.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  14. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:41:21 GMT
    Vahis wrote:

    >On 2008-06-12, Kevin Nathan wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm still using linkagogo . . . ;-)
    >>

    >I had that a while back
    >
    >I prefer Browser sync. It's so automatic, syncs all machines nicely.
    >It only works with FF though being an addon to it.

    I use too many browsers on too many computers to worry about syncing
    them; linkagogo is used as my main bookmark and I clean it out two or
    three times a year. ;-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- http://www.project54.com/linux/

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.22.17-0.1-default
    10:51pm up 4 days 9:54, 21 users, load average: 0.33, 0.39, 0.53

  15. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    Vahis wrote:

    > jack wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:

    >>> Addtion:
    >>>
    >>> I opened FF on my home page and browsed a couple pages.
    >>> Then I left it alone.
    >>>
    >>> After ten minutes it was like a fly in a tar pit.
    >>>
    >>> Vahis

    >> Is there a memory leak anywhere?
    >> Jack

    > Not that I know of. How can one tell?
    > Top is not showing any significant memory usage.
    > CPU is high IMHO. This goes up during time although nothing special is
    > going on in the browser.
    >
    > I noticed that if a page with a flash banner is open all this crap
    > happens more rapidly.
    >
    > I've changed nothing (updates only) since the launch of openSUSE 10.3.
    > I've removed now the /firefox directory from /.mozilla.
    > That seems to have helped, I'm waiting for things to start happening,
    > nothing yet after a couple of hours.
    >

    > Vahis

    try the flashblock extension
    seems to speed things up greatly
    there are just too many sites overloaded with flash!
    regards

  16. Re: 10.3: Firefox slowing down dramatically

    On 2008-06-14, R S Prigan wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> jack wrote:

    >> I noticed that if a page with a flash banner is open all this crap
    >> happens more rapidly.
    >>
    >> I've changed nothing (updates only) since the launch of openSUSE 10.3.
    >> I've removed now the /firefox directory from /.mozilla.
    >> That seems to have helped, I'm waiting for things to start happening,
    >> nothing yet after a couple of hours.
    >>

    > try the flashblock extension
    > seems to speed things up greatly
    > there are just too many sites overloaded with flash!
    > regards

    Thanks, I'll have a look what it does.
    Not that I have the trouble anymore. There was something in the settings
    directory that I removed. After being recreated by FF everything is
    fine. I've got the directory saved for future investigation.

    Vahis
    --
    Training new things here:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread