EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER? - Suse

This is a discussion on EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER? - Suse ; Trying to get to an easy way to remote from work & their nasty firewall to home Computer. Work Computer (Redhat 5.X) --> (work)Nasty/Tough Firewall --> (home)D-Link --> Suse 10.X Thought there would be an easy way to do this ...

  1. EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    Trying to get to an easy way to remote from work & their nasty firewall
    to home Computer.

    Work Computer (Redhat 5.X) --> (work)Nasty/Tough Firewall -->
    (home)D-Link --> Suse 10.X

    Thought there would be an easy way to do this but have had many attempts
    & no success.

    Work Firewall blocks rdc/vnc.

    Got NXfree from www.nomachine.com which seemingly was going to be the
    way. But
    Work firewall blocks port 22. Trying to change the port used seemingly
    was going to be
    easy but various attempts to change it just makes NX fail with denied
    errors when trying
    to connect.

    Seems like it should be easy to set something up to tunnel or NX out of
    this firewall but so
    far no joy!

    Anyone have some good suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Clint

  2. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    Clint wrote:

    > Trying to get to an easy way to remote from work & their nasty firewall
    > to home Computer.
    >
    > Work Computer (Redhat 5.X) --> (work)Nasty/Tough Firewall -->
    > (home)D-Link --> Suse 10.X
    >
    > Thought there would be an easy way to do this but have had many attempts
    > & no success.
    >
    > Work Firewall blocks rdc/vnc.
    >
    > Got NXfree from www.nomachine.com which seemingly was going to be the
    > way. But
    > Work firewall blocks port 22. Trying to change the port used seemingly
    > was going to be
    > easy but various attempts to change it just makes NX fail with denied
    > errors when trying
    > to connect.
    >
    > Seems like it should be easy to set something up to tunnel or NX out of
    > this firewall but so
    > far no joy!
    >
    > Anyone have some good suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Clint

    Hi,

    What I'm using is:
    sshd configured to work on port 443. This is a standard https port allowed
    by our firewall at work. This is the important part, you have to use port
    that is allowed by the firewall at your work.
    Nomachine NX client is set to connect to port 443 also. And it just works.

    I also use another way to connect. I use ssh tunneling to connect via vnc as
    this is more comfortable for me.

    puki

  3. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    On 2008-05-28 05:38, Clint wrote:
    > Trying to get to an easy way to remote from work & their nasty firewall
    > to home Computer.
    >
    > Work Computer (Redhat 5.X) --> (work)Nasty/Tough Firewall -->
    > (home)D-Link --> Suse 10.X
    >
    > Thought there would be an easy way to do this but have had many attempts
    > & no success.
    >
    > Work Firewall blocks rdc/vnc.
    >
    > Got NXfree from www.nomachine.com which seemingly was going to be the
    > way. But
    > Work firewall blocks port 22. Trying to change the port used seemingly
    > was going to be
    > easy but various attempts to change it just makes NX fail with denied
    > errors when trying
    > to connect.
    >
    > Seems like it should be easy to set something up to tunnel or NX out of
    > this firewall but so
    > far no joy!
    >
    > Anyone have some good suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Clint

    You can make NX to run over http with their NX Web Companion stuff.
    http://www.nomachine.com/screenshot/companion.php
    using the nxplugin (java)

    Or find a hole in the company firewall for a ssh-tunnel home. >:-)

    /bb

  4. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    In birre:

    [Snip...]

    > Or find a hole in the company firewall for a ssh-tunnel home. >:-)

    FWIW...

    I know nothing of the policy in place at this company, but in very general
    terms, deliberately trying to workaround corporate firewalls is very often
    a serious security violation.

    In particular, where I worked before retiring (aerospace/defense) it could
    grounds for immediate termination. When in doubt, ask about the policy.

    I am *NOT* supporting dumbass pointyhairs and other control phreaks. There
    are very good reasons for a corporate firewall without their turf wars.

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  5. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    Clint wrote:
    > Trying to get to an easy way to remote from work & their nasty firewall
    > to home Computer.
    > [...]
    > Work Firewall blocks rdc/vnc.
    >
    > Got NXfree from www.nomachine.com which seemingly was going to be the
    > way. But
    > Work firewall blocks port 22. Trying to change the port used seemingly
    > was going to be
    > easy but various attempts to change it just makes NX fail with denied
    > errors when trying
    > to connect.

    NX works over SSH, so you need to change both the NX and the SSH port to
    the same setting. Usual suspects are port 21 (FTP), 80 (HTTP) and 443
    (HTTPS).

    Of course it's a good idea to ASK if you're actually allowed to connect
    to your home PC from work. Firewalls at work are sometimes not only
    there to seal their intranet, but to prevent you from doing what you
    just described.

  6. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > NX works over SSH, so you need to change both the NX and the SSH port to
    > the same setting. Usual suspects are port 21 (FTP), 80 (HTTP) and 443
    > (HTTPS).
    >
    > Of course it's a good idea to ASK if you're actually allowed to connect
    > to your home PC from work. Firewalls at work are sometimes not only
    > there to seal their intranet, but to prevent you from doing what you
    > just described.

    Also sometimes only http and https which will only allow websites, so no
    21.

    One company I worked for had the proxy fixed in the browser, so what I
    did was open sshd on port 443 (less visable then 80) and connect with
    putty.

    Putty I often run 'remotely' so without installing it.

    Now where I work they don't bother anymore with me. As long as I do not
    need admin rights, I am allowed to install anything I like. If I need
    admin rights, they know that I could get them without any problem. I
    know I can get it, so no chalange anymore.

    I rather have them as friends then proove them that I can outsmart them.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  7. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    I work for a large computer company in tech support. Its not a national
    security issue.

    I'm sure I might get in some trouble if caught but I think for the most
    part they keep it
    secure for other reasons. I know for a fact if I ask about remoting out,
    those ****suckers
    in IT will not even listen.

    -Clint

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In birre:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> Or find a hole in the company firewall for a ssh-tunnel home. >:-)

    > FWIW...
    >
    > I know nothing of the policy in place at this company, but in very general
    > terms, deliberately trying to workaround corporate firewalls is very often
    > a serious security violation.
    >
    > In particular, where I worked before retiring (aerospace/defense) it could
    > grounds for immediate termination. When in doubt, ask about the policy.
    >
    > I am *NOT* supporting dumbass pointyhairs and other control phreaks. There
    > are very good reasons for a corporate firewall without their turf wars.
    >
    > JMO; YMMV...

  8. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    Clint wrote:

    Please do not toppost.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

  9. Re: EASY WAY TO RDC/VNC TO HOME COMPUTER?

    houghi wrote:
    > Clint wrote:
    >
    > Please do not toppost.

    On second thought, what would you expect from somebody who is shouting
    the subject.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
    FOSS says, "Are you coming, or what?"

+ Reply to Thread